My Main Concern with Ridder…

1 minute ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

Don't be surprised if he gets around 215 lbs after an offseason of NFL training and conditioning.

He's 6'3 and lanky. He could put on 10 pounds and still not look like he has lol.

Yeah it's like with Matt Ryan. Guys like that bulk up and not look it. And Matty has missed like three games or something in his entire career so far. 

I hope he can be the dude. But I need to see more. People forget how many balls he had that should have been picked that bounced right out of defenders hands. I think if those passes weren’t dropped people would have a very different opinion of Ridder. 

I still am not buying that Arthur Smith is going to go into year 3 without his guy at QB

My main concern with Ridder. He just wasn’t very good from the limited that we saw. Blame AS.

Per NFL.com

The jury is still out on Ridder, who started the team's last four games in 2022. In those contests, Ridder's passing efficiency declined the farther he threw the ball. Ridder’s +1.1 completion percentage over expected on passes thrown under 10 air yards dropped to -3.8 percent on intermediate throws (10-19 air yards) and -4.6 percent on throws beyond 20 air yards. For perspective, Ridder completed only two of his nine deep pass attempts. Whether the Falcons decide to acquire a veteran in free agency or select one with one of their nine draft picks, the quarterback room is almost certain to have a new face come OTAs in May.

10 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Yeah it's like with Matt Ryan. Guys like that bulk up and not look it. And Matty has missed like three games or something in his entire career so far. 

Exactly

Looks can be deceiving with a skinny guy lol.

My youngest brother had went into the military years ago and claimed he had gained 25 lbs. I **** sure didn't see it. Looked like the same skinny *** man before he got in lol.

17 minutes ago, RYNE said:

I hope he can be the dude. But I need to see more. People forget how many balls he had that should have been picked that bounced right out of defenders hands. I think if those passes weren’t dropped people would have a very different opinion of Ridder. 

I still am not buying that Arthur Smith is going to go into year 3 without his guy at QB

What about the ball’s people dropped and the times London fumbled away a game winning drive, twice? 

8 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

What about the ball’s people dropped and the times London fumbled away a game winning drive, twice? 

That’s a fair point. 

However, that was not on Ridder. I think people can recognize that he did make some good plays. I do at least. There were really poor throws. If you actually watched him and weren’t just looking at stat lines. (not saying you specifically, just in general)

2 minutes ago, RYNE said:

That’s a fair point. 

However, that was not on Ridder. I think people can recognize that he did make some good plays. I do at least. There were really poor throws. If you actually watched him and weren’t just looking at stat lines. (not saying you specifically, just in general)

There was great, good, okay, bad, and god awful from Ridder in his first 4 games. Exactly what I expected from a rookie. If he gets rid of the god awful and limits the bad this year I’ll be happy. (Of course he has to start and thats not a given right now). 

3 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

There was great, good, okay, bad, and god awful from Ridder in his first 4 games. Exactly what I expected from a rookie. If he gets rid of the god awful and limits the bad this year I’ll be happy. (Of course he has to start and thats not a given right now). 

I think the biggest mistake this franchise made was *** around with Mariota. At most Mariota should have got like 4 starts. Then it should have been Ridder time. I feel like last season was a complete waste. As I said at the time I would have never played Mariota personally. 

That’s why this doesn’t add up to me. You’re telling me Ridder is Arthur Smith’s guy and he waited that long to play him last season? I just don’t buy it. 

Just now, RYNE said:

I think the biggest mistake this franchise made was *** around with Mariota. At most Mariota should have got like 4 starts. Then it should have been Ridder time. I feel like last season was a complete waste. As I said at the time I would have never played Mariota personally. 

I agree I wanted Ridder to start day 1, there was no way Mariota was going to start for us this year, so I saw zero reasons to start him. But this is AS job to keep or lose, I’m just hoping whatever plan he has leads us to a playoff slot. 

44 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

it's the tom brady influence, brady regards elongated stretchy muscles over tight explosive muscles. 

2 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

I agree I wanted Ridder to start day 1, there was no way Mariota was going to start for us this year, so I saw zero reasons to start him. But this is AS job to keep or lose, I’m just hoping whatever plan he has leads us to a playoff slot. 

That’s why this doesn’t add up to me. You’re telling me Ridder is Arthur Smith’s guy and he waited that long to play him last season? I just don’t buy it. 

2 minutes ago, RYNE said:

That’s why this doesn’t add up to me. You’re telling me Ridder is Arthur Smith’s guy and he waited that long to play him last season? I just don’t buy it. 

AS had to give mariotta ALL the opportunities before pulling him out. 

34 minutes ago, jetpac said:

My main concern with Ridder. He just wasn’t very good from the limited that we saw. Blame AS.

Per NFL.com

The jury is still out on Ridder, who started the team's last four games in 2022. In those contests, Ridder's passing efficiency declined the farther he threw the ball. Ridder’s +1.1 completion percentage over expected on passes thrown under 10 air yards dropped to -3.8 percent on intermediate throws (10-19 air yards) and -4.6 percent on throws beyond 20 air yards. For perspective, Ridder completed only two of his nine deep pass attempts. Whether the Falcons decide to acquire a veteran in free agency or select one with one of their nine draft picks, the quarterback room is almost certain to have a new face come OTAs in May.

My big concern with Ridder is his lack of arm strength, especially on deep throws.  The deep throws from Mariota and Ridder looked identical which is to say bad.  I suspect AS would prefer to have a QB that can attack the secondary deep on play action, which is why I believe if Levis or Richardson drops, we will be very interested.  

I am impressed with Ridder's poise and command of the offense, especially for a rookie.  Certainly, he can still improve.  I think the floor for him is high quality backup.

4 minutes ago, RYNE said:

From the interviews that AS and Ridder had said about the situation was that Ridder wasn't ready and took a huge jump in progress of having enough of the offense down in the last month leading up to him taking over the starting job.

1 hour ago, XXVIII-III said:

Dude needs to bulk up… quickly.

Is it just me, or does he seem way too skinny on the field?

I have 0 problems rolling into this season with Ridder as the starter, but he needs to put some serious size on to avoid injury.

Am I wrong about this?

Ridder ran a run option play against Tampa Bay. The defender met him on the edge and as Ridder pitched the ball the defender caught Ridder high and knocked him about 40 yards back up field. 

E3-B67-C99-8-A7-E-4-CA9-8-A9-A-229-BB48-

640e016d66ab7070729494.gif

1 minute ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

From the interviews that AS and Ridder had said about the situation was that Ridder wasn't ready and took a huge jump in progress of having enough of the offense down in the last month leading up to him taking over the starting job.

Well maybe thats true. But I mean you would expect anyone to take a big jump after 4/5 of an NFL season. Being in meetings, being in practice.  Even if he wasn’t quite ready, I’m not sure how someone could have looked at Mariota costing us multiple games with bad decisions and not made the change if you really think “This Desmond Ridder guy could be something.” 

Pretty coincidental that as soon as the Falcons were officially eliminated Ridder happened to be ready that week. Almost like magic 

11 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Coaches make mistakes and double down, as they are people too. Ridder is AS guy until he isn’t. We will know in May if Ridder is the guy out not. 

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

I mean, most guys are injured for the same reason. They're trying to run. Matt didn't take many hits unless they were sacks. 

5 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

Coaches make mistakes and double down, as they are people too. Ridder is AS guy until he isn’t. We will know in May if Ridder is the guy out not. 

We shall see. Ridder isn’t my first choice for QB but isn’t my last either. For me I would want in order:

1. CJ Stroud

2. Bryce Young

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Anthony Richardson

5. Desmond Ridder 

If I don’t get one of those 4 then I’m just building up this team and rolling with Desmond Ridder. Giving him a full year to see if he can be the guy. And we aren’t getting the first 2. Doesn’t sound like we are getting #3. So probably going to be ridder. I have zero interest in any other FA QB’s