Haven't Seen a Thread on LB Floyd Being Released by the Rams

Rams release LB Leonard Floyd after third season in Los Angele

The Los Angeles Rams continue to shed salary ahead of the new league year.

L.A. released veteran linebacker Leonard Floyd, the team announced Friday.

After four years in Chicago, Floyd joined the Rams on a one-year prove-it deal in 2020. Following a 10.5-sack season, he inked a four-year, $64 million extension to remain in Los Angeles.

Would he be worth a look?

Published: Mar 10, 2023 at 04:12 PM
Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon
Video did not copy good.

I just don't know what this defense is going to look like. He's a productive player and definitely someone who needs to be clean to get a look at the QB though, so how will that work in this defense, your guess is as good as mine. Kick the tires sure, back up the Brinks truck, nah.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Absolutely interested. I'm hoping the Vikings release za'darius smith too. Sign them both and go from there. They can cornerstone the next 3-4 years

I'm almost certain I read somewhere that Smith was actually released... 

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Absolutely interested. I'm hoping the Vikings release za'darius smith too. Sign them both and go from there. They can cornerstone the next 3-4 years

Just now, ramonezy said:

I think Smith wants to go ring hunting.

I believe he asked to be released.

13 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

12 minutes ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

I think Smith wants to go ring hunting.

I believe he asked to be released.

Yeah they've supposedly denied his request to be released. Probably a trade or nothing situation. I'd love Z on the team though.

As for Floyd... I'm not super enthused. He was also cut for minimal cap savings and without anyone behind him, which usually doesn't bode well. But he'd be the best edge player we have. Just depends on his market.

2 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Yeah they've supposedly denied his request to be released. Probably a trade or nothing situation. I'd love Z on the team though.

As for Floyd... I'm not super enthused. He was also cut for minimal cap savings and without anyone behind him, which usually doesn't bode well. But he'd be the best edge player we have. Just depends on his market.

Floyd would be a good addition.

He's had no less than 9 sacks in each of his last 3 seasons.

12 minutes ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

Floyd would be a good addition.

He's had no less than 9 sacks in each of his last 3 seasons.

He's solid. Hopefully we could get someone else so it's not all on him cause not sure he's that guy. 

The other factor is whether he matches whatever Nielsen wants to do schematically. He's purely a 3-4 dude unless we run a LEO like Vic. 

16 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

He plays primarily stand up LB. He's technically not even an edge, but he would still definitely be the best pass rusher on the team...

To your other post, he's not someone you sign to be the guy, no doubt. The pass rush takes a village though. We need pass rushers everywhere on defense.

3 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

He's solid. Hopefully he could get someone else so it's not all on him cause not sure he's that guy. 

The other factor is whether he matches whatever Nielsen wants to do schematically. He's purely a 3-4 dude unless we run a LEO like Vic. 

He can be OLB in 3-4 packages and SLB in 4-3 packages.

A stand up DE in Nickel.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He plays primarily stand up LB. He's technically not even an edge, but he would still definitely be the best pass rusher on the team...

To your other post, he's not someone you sign to be the guy, no doubt. The pass rush takes a village though. We need pass rushers everywhere on defense.

Not primarily. He averaged less than 100 snaps per season dropping into coverage with the Rams. Even less with the Bears. He was decent at it but it's not what he was mostly used as.

3 minutes ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

He can be OLB in 3-4 packages and SLB in 4-3 packages.

A stand up DE in Nickel.

He's good in coverage for an edge player, but if you're going to sign him for edge money (Which is what he'll be asking), it would be a huge overpay if we're going to primarily stand him up.

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

Not primarily. He averaged less than 100 snaps per season dropping into coverage with the Rams. Even less with the Bears. He was decent at it but it's not what he was mostly used as.

He's good in coverage for an edge player, but if you're going to sign him for edge money (Which is what he'll be asking), it would be a huge overpay if we're going to primarily stand him up.

He's going to rush from all of those positions.

He'll just be rushing standing up like how he did in LA.

5 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

He's a stand up rusher. I wasn't saying he's a cover guy. He rarely had his hand in the dirt in LA.

Just now, Lornoth said:

So a LEO, like I said.

In some 4-3 sets he can. He can also be a SLB in a 4-3 as well. Eagles use Haasan Riddick as a SLB in their 4-3 fronts. He had 16 sacks during the season.

Floyd is a fit either way because Falcons will remain a multiple defense. The resigning of Carter might be a sign that Falcons will remain a 3-4 base on paper.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He's a stand up rusher. I wasn't saying he's a cover guy. He rarely had his hand in the dirt in LA.

When you said not an edge player I assumed you meant off-line. My bad.

4 minutes ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

In some 4-3 sets he can. He can also be a SLB in a 4-3 as well. Eagles use Haasan Riddick as a SLB in their 4-3 fronts. He had 16 sacks during the season.

Floyd is a fit either way because Falcons will remain a multiple defense. The resigning of Carter might be a sign that Falcons will remain a 3-4 base on paper.

An SLB in a scheme that puts that player on the line. Like I said, just depends if Nielsen wants to run his defense that way. NO's likes to stay in nickel most of the game, and they have a 'big' DE in Cam Jordan so that they can do so without losing size to play the run. We'll see if Nielsen wants to continue that trend or not. 

6 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

When you said not an edge player I assumed you meant off-line. My bad.

An SLB in a scheme that puts that player on the line. Like I said, just depends if Nielsen wants to run his defense that way. NO's likes to stay in nickel most of the game, and they have a 'big' DE in Cam Jordan so that they can do so without losing size to play the run. We'll see if Nielsen wants to continue that trend or not. 

Wonder would Floyd be willing to take a lesser deal if Rams are still on the hook for paying him?

Wouldn't mind a front 7 consisting of Jarrett, Hargrave, Floyd, Ebiketie, Pratt, Andersen, and a NT or bigger DE.

Edited by DonDaLuvMaker

Just now, DonDaLuvMaker said:

Wonder would Floyd be willing to take a lesser deal if Rams are still on the hook for paying him?

Wouldn't mind a front 7 consisting of Jarrett, Hargrave, Floyd, Ebiketie, Pratt, Anderson, and a NT or bigger DE.

Everyone already forget about ghost fumbler? TQ was playing really good football before the injury minus the fact that he somehow forgot how his hands worked on that fumble recovery. Keep him in that mix he's going to be a good one for us.

1 minute ago, JesusSaves said:

Everyone already forget about ghost fumbler? TQ was playing really good football before the injury minus the fact that he somehow forgot how his hands worked on that fumble recovery. Keep him in that mix he's going to be a good one for us.

Yeah, I honestly think he has a lot of potential that Nielsen can develop.