A Perfect Fit For the Falcons

6 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Slap in the face?  He hadn’t had a winning season  since 2017 at that point. This is a results based business. FWIW my hope was for him to play out 2022 here and mentor someone. But as soon as the team interviewed Watson he asked to be traded.  I appreciate that TF and Smith and Blank were willing to let Matt leave without causing him grief. I think we all wanted to see him rock out in Indiana.  

But nobody owes him anything.  He was the best player to ever wear a Falcs uniform, I’m serious about that.  But Falcon for life doesn’t mean he’s ready to go back to his 2016 form this winter  

You can see things differently if f you want. We’re all fans and entitled to our opinions. I know my opinions can be annoying and kinda stupid so no judgement. Matty was the best. He’s not the best anymore. Wish him well and sincerely thank him for the mark he left in Atlanta. 

Go Falcons 

While I genuinely appreciate what you're saying and get where you're going with your comments, but MR is not the best player to ever don a Falcons uniform. That distinction easily goes to Deion Sanders.

However, I get your point. He rightfully deserves the most praise and appreciation than any other player in this franchise's history for what he accomplished on the field because he did give us something we had never really had as a franchise before him, which was consistency and a bit of prosperity.

Vick brought us excitement, and man it was fun, but it was so brief. MR deserves a lot of credit, but much like you're point people can go too far in their praise and fandom. You can appreciate and keep stuff in perspective at the same time. TF did the right thing. Some of the fan base need to let MR go. It's like Cowboy fans who are still talking about all of their SBs.

5 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

While I genuinely appreciate what you're saying and get where you're going with your comments, but MR is not the best player to ever don a Falcons uniform. That distinction easily goes to Deion Sanders.

However, I get your point. He rightfully deserves the most praise and appreciation than any other player in this franchise's history for what he accomplished on the field because he did give us something we had never really had as a franchise before him, which was consistency and a bit of prosperity.

Vick brought us excitement, and man it was fun, but it was so brief. MR deserves a lot of credit, but much like you're point people can go too far in their praise and fandom. You can appreciate and keep stuff in perspective at the same time. TF did the right thing. Some of the fan base need to let MR go. It's like Cowboy fans who are still talking about all of their SBs.

I sang matt's praises louder than most.  It was time to move along.  He was a steadying factor here for years.  But, it was time to allow him to walk off into the night and let him try something else.  I want him to sign his one day contract with us, and take his place in the ring of honor.  And, I anticipate in a few years, he gets a Gold Jacket nod.

6 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Cowboy fans who are still talking about all of their SBs.

They’re relentless!  

But yes, I think we agree. So let’s say “best” is subjective and there’s a number we should retire. Nobody plays forever. That’s one value of cheering for a team, whoever is in the lid is the man. Go Falcons and let’s look forward. 

This is obviously going to be a thing.  Some people just can't seem to let go and move on.

Yes, 100% Matt Ryan would make a great mentor/teacher/backup to Ridder here in Atlanta.  If the Falcons go down that road, it has to be done right.  Give the guy no more than a 1 year 3.5 million dollar deal like what Joe Flacco had.  Falcons shouldn't pay him 5 million because he has earned some lifetime achievement or pretend like he is vital to our success here.

He was the best QB the franchise has ever had.  He was paid EXTREMELY well for it.  His large contracts also ate up a significant portion of the cap and we could never get significant defensive talent in place.  Part of that was draft misses, but we never had the cap and the last few years the budget was shoestring.  Team was always offensive heavy to give Matt everything he needed to succeed.

A franchise QB for a team is like a house for working folks.  It's typically the biggest single expense you have.  Most can't go out and spend that same about of cash on other things.  These assets are also hard to get rid of, you can't just flip it tomorrow like it was never there without consequences.  Falcons are finally free of the Ryan era and the constraints it brought to the team.  The years were good for us, we got as close as you can get without winning it all.

We can't dwell in that era forever.  Someone else will eventually bring a championship to the organization.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I think our desire to bring Ryan back is  equal to Ryan's desire to come back = not now, not later.

He must feel a bit cast aside.  I am sure his ego is bruised a bit.  I know his wife was quite ornery about the sit-chee-a-shun.

54 minutes ago, Thiccolas Cage said:

Would be nice to bring him onboard as a QB coach since our RB coach left and became an OC somewhere. You know? Have a real QB in the room teaching QB stuff?

He isn't gone as of this moment.

He's had an interview with the Titans but he hasn't been hired or anything yet.

18 hours ago, Hard Case said:

Only reason he is gone is because of AB's greed for Watson, He could tutor Ridder, and a QB draftee , then become the perfect backup when one of them are ready. That's what should have been done in the first place. 

If AB had greed for Watson, Deshawn would be a Falcon.  Look, I am just reading tea leaves, but AB sent AS and TF after his old friend Deshawn.  If AS and TF really wanted him, they would not have started backing away from the table when the bidding escalated.  AS did not want Watson. 

Matt Ryan has had his debut as a NFL announcer.  He did well.  His last 3 years playing football have not looked good.  What does this tell you?  Look for Matty Ice in 2023 behind a desk or on the sidelines somewhere coaching.  His greatest asset was his accuracy with the football.  Now that his arm is not enough to stretch the field, he has too many limitations to handle a NFL defense.  He was the greatest QB the Falcons ever fielded.  Thanks for the good times Matty.

I would rather believe that it was Blank that wanted Watson. I can somewhat understand a maybe mentally diminished, impatient old man making that call.

If it was our new GM and HC that wanted to make that franchising bankrupcy move then I'm really worried

1 hour ago, tbhawksfan said:

I would rather believe that it was Blank that wanted Watson. I can somewhat understand a maybe mentally diminished, impatient old man making that call.

If it was our new GM and HC that wanted to make that franchising bankrupcy move then I'm really worried

But the front office didn’t make that franchise bankrupting move. We were the front runners (Cleveland had been ruled out) until his agent asked us to up the anti. We refused - his agent went back to Cleveland - and the rest is history. Regardless of who actually was the driving force behind wanting Watson (my Personnel feel is AB due to his his history with him as a falcon ball boy) this front office didn’t cripple the team with signing him to a league setting new benchmark. Let’s keep it real here.

At the time I was all for signing Watson as we truely didn’t understand the depths of his depravity. It’s been a terrible signing for Cleveland with uncalculatable (made up word) fan backlash and media scorn. But our Front office didn’t continue when the stakes were raised too high and they did back out. Kudos to them. We dodged a bullet but frankly there were 4-5 other teams playing Russian roulette alongside us.

20 hours ago, Hard Case said:

He only asked to be traded after egregious slap in the face from AB. No matter what the Haters say, he is still capable of being a starting QB in the NFL for at least a year or so.  Bottom line is that Rookies who are , "pretty good players" are not prime candidates to lead a team in the NFL, we need a vet like Ryan or Tannehill to come in here as a stopgap , until Ridder or a draftee QB is ready to take over. 

Ryan got 269,500,000 reasons to not worry about the slap in the face while he was here. Willing to bet you're more upset than Ryan is. 

And, you're overestimating Ryan's worth in this offense and underestimating Ridders worth in the offense.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Ryan got 269,500,000 reasons to not worry about the slap in the face while he was here. Willing to bet you're more upset than Ryan is. 

And, you're overestimating Ryan's worth in this offense and underestimating Ridders worth in the offense.

Wrongorooney  Cunningham.