DC candidates thread

I figured it would be good to get these in one place if we can maintain it.  

So far, Falcons have been tied to:

Haslett (I don't think this is serious)

Evero (blocked by stinking Broncos)

Nielsen (to interview soon)

Gray (to interview soon)

There has also been talk of:

Flores

Fangio

Desai

Bush

Anyone else at this point?

Just now, JDaveG said:

co-DC for New Orleans and the guitarist for Cheap Trick.

I might have made that last part up.  I mean, sort of (Rick Neilsen IS the guitarist for Cheap Trick, he's just not up for a coaching job).

I saw Nielsen and I instantly thought Leslie Nielsen. 😆

Looks like we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Kudos for the due diligence, though.

I said in the thread on Ryan Nielsen that it was the first WTH candidate for me (I don't count Haslett because I put zero stock in that). My best hope is Fontenot is doing him a solid by getting him an interview. GMs do that all the time in the NFL.  I can't imagine choosing him over someone with a more proven track record, which basically Evero and Gray both have, as does (obviously) Fangio, and Flores.  If we're going unproven, I'd rather stick with Frank Bush, though he's not my favorite either.

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I said in the thread on Ryan Nielsen that it was the first WTH candidate for me (I don't count Haslett because I put zero stock in that). My best hope is Fontenot is doing him a solid by getting him an interview. GMs do that all the time in the NFL.  I can't imagine choosing him over someone with a more proven track record, which basically Evero and Gray both have, as does (obviously) Fangio, and Flores.  If we're going unproven, I'd rather stick with Frank Bush, though he's not my favorite either.

If AS is intent on keeping the same system, Bush is the only candidate that makes sense. It’s the kiss of death hiring an outside candidate and handing him someone else’s playbook. See: Steve Sarkisian.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

If AS is intent on keeping the same system, Bush is the only candidate that makes sense. It’s the kiss of death hiring an outside candidate and handing him someone else’s playbook. See: Steve Sarkisian.

What about Ravens Pass Game Coordinator/DB coach Chris Hewitt?

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Absolutely.  Or Dirk Koetter.

I don't know that he's really intent on keeping the same system so much as the same principles, though.  I mentioned elsewhere, if you look at the guys we're looking at, they tend to be more 3-4 base or something like big nickel base with an emphasis on ability to blitz from anywhere, which is what Pees did.  Guys like Flores and Fangio can do that.  Some candidates seem to blitz less and try to get pressure with 4 (even out of things like a 3-2-6 look), and others blitz a lot more in terms of bringing more than 4 guys.  But the continuity seems to be that we're avoiding the single high LOB types and going for more 2 high or 3 safety looks with pressure coming from all angles.

You know this stuff a lot better than me, so I defer to your thoughts on any of this.  That's just sort of what I've been noticing reading about the various candidates.  Pees' philosophy seems to be of a piece with all the guys we've looked at so far.

Thanks for the pin mods.

One other thing, @PeytonMannings Forehead -- unlike on offense, I think the defense is hardly set from a personnel standpoint.  You don't want to go to something that is going to not be a scheme fit for your core players, but we don't have that many of those.  Whoever the new DC is, he'll be able to get a lot of new guys to fit whatever scheme he wants to run.  I just think philosophically, the guys we've been tied to seem to fit our personnel pretty well.

7 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

This has to be said lol

This makes a lot of sense too, if you think about it.  You never know who is going to knock the interview out of the park, and you never know who is going to crap the bed.  What if they interview some of the big names and some of them insist on having a certain level of control over personnel or how the game is called? Or if it's just clear their defensive philosophy doesn't mesh with what Smith wants?

You can't waste your time -- they aren't going to interview me.  But they should talk to a bunch of people and get the best fit.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

No, of course.  Please do.  I'm not possessive about my thread or anything, I just thought it would be cool to have them all in one place.

Oh I agree. You know how it is though. Some people complain about small things. Not you but you know what I mean. Just wanted to get permission before I get yelled at for keeping the board clean

2 hours ago, DonDaLuvMaker said:

What about Ravens Pass Game Coordinator/DB coach Chris Hewitt?

Honestly, I don’t know anything about him, but that’s speaking my language. I love the tweaks they made to that defense after moving on from Wink Martin. They started looking Iike the Ravens again.