Soroka

rightsaidfred

I never visit this forum, so this may have been discussed at length.  So forgive me but please indulge me.

I have not been able to see anything regarding the Braves and Mike Soroka.  When he became injured, I knew he would miss a lot of time, but by now I would anticipate talk of him rejoining the pitching staff.    Any updates or ideas of where he stands?

Thanks much...........!

7 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I never visit this forum, so this may have been discussed at length.  So forgive me but please indulge me.

I have not been able to see anything regarding the Braves and Mike Soroka.  When he became injured, I knew he would miss a lot of time, but by now I would anticipate talk of him rejoining the pitching staff.    Any updates or ideas of where he stands?

Thanks much...........!

He pitched last season. They activated from the IL and optioned him to AAA. He did suffer a minor setback that caused him to miss sometime but he got to make a few starts in the minors. He also did have a fancy high tech company in Utah scan and adjust his delivery in order to take pressure off his ACL. He believes he corrected the flaws and now finally has a true offseason to participate in his normal training program. He will compete for a spot in Spring Training but he's not being handed a job yet. He'll go to Gwinnett if he's not effective. 

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

He pitched last season. They activated from the IL and optioned him to AAA. He did suffer a minor setback that caused him to miss sometime but he got to make a few starts in the minors. He also did have a fancy high tech company in Utah scan and adjust his delivery in order to take pressure off his ACL. He believes he corrected the flaws and now finally has a true offseason to participate in his normal training program. He will compete for a spot in Spring Training but he's not being handed a job yet. He'll go to Gwinnett if he's not effective. 

I did not know he pitched last year.  If he can regain his former stature, ATL will be in good shape..

Thank you sir.........

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He gets hurt, misses time, rehabs, gets hurt again, misses time, rehabs and gets hurt again.

We'll see if he repeats the cycle yet again. 

Some of it was just his body getting used to pitching again. He had so much time off with the knee surgery he had to get his body back in shape. He talked to DOB when the season ended about using digital mapping to analyze his delivery and make the appropriate adjustments. He was going to be working on perfecting the new delivery over the offseason. He admitted he was feeling tightness around the ACL during his rehab which is what led to the change. 

16 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Some of it was just his body getting used to pitching again. He had so much time off with the knee surgery he had to get his body back in shape. He talked to DOB when the season ended about using digital mapping to analyze his delivery and make the appropriate adjustments. He was going to be working on perfecting the new delivery over the offseason. He admitted he was feeling tightness around the ACL during his rehab which is what led to the change. 

He tore it twice though.

Just now, Malachore said:

He tore it twice though.

Yeah, he changed it during the 2022 season. He requested permission from AA to go to a pitching lab and they granted it. Soroka said the way he was feeling after June and July he was afraid he would hurt himself again. They did all their things in the lab and discovered all the flaws creating stress and fixed it. Here's a little of what he said. 

“Not only was I putting too much stress on it, but I was basically taking out lower-half involvement from anything in getting a kinetic chain to the baseball.

“That was kind of the crazy part for me, learning that I cornered myself into throwing at a disadvantage for years, most likely to be able to manipulate the ball and see the ball move. That was tough to grasp.”

Here's what the guy at the lab said

“The stride was 11.8 inches closed towards the third-base side in his delivery,” Keyes said. “Only to be outdone by the foot-strike angle that was 58.1 — 90 degrees would be wide open. So the stride was off-line and the foot-strike angle was really closed. It was restricting his body through the rotation substantially, and then causing a posture imbalance, postural misalignment.

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, he changed it during the 2022 season. He requested permission from AA to go to a pitching lab and they granted it. Soroka said the way he was feeling after June and July he was afraid he would hurt himself again. They did all their things in the lab and discovered all the flaws creating stress and fixed it. Here's a little of what he said. 

“Not only was I putting too much stress on it, but I was basically taking out lower-half involvement from anything in getting a kinetic chain to the baseball.

“That was kind of the crazy part for me, learning that I cornered myself into throwing at a disadvantage for years, most likely to be able to manipulate the ball and see the ball move. That was tough to grasp.”

Here's what the guy at the lab said

“The stride was 11.8 inches closed towards the third-base side in his delivery,” Keyes said. “Only to be outdone by the foot-strike angle that was 58.1 — 90 degrees would be wide open. So the stride was off-line and the foot-strike angle was really closed. It was restricting his body through the rotation substantially, and then causing a posture imbalance, postural misalignment.

But he didn't originally tear it pitching, he tore it cover 1st base.

Are they saying his delivery weakened it?

18 minutes ago, Malachore said:

But he didn't originally tear it pitching, he tore it cover 1st base.

Are they saying his delivery weakened it?

I think they're just saying it didn't necessarily help and will help prevent future injuries if it all goes to plan. 

13 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I think they're just saying it didn't necessarily help and will help prevent future injuries if it all goes to plan. 

Right. His delivery had just generally put a lot of stress on the ankle and heel. Didn't necessarily weaken the Achilles in the first place, but it certainly made it more likely that he would have trouble there. The biometrics they ran at the pitching lab was designed to help him distribute that stress more evenly. As a bonus, Soroka says it also made his 2-seamer sharper.