I want to resign McGary

5 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The most likely scenario is probably a franchise tag to see if he can do it again.

I have mentioned this to a few people and they seem to think I’m crazy but honestly it’s highly unlikely the the Falcons will spend all of their cap space in one offseason so franchising GM is probably the smart move. 

29 minutes ago, FalconDawg28 said:

I have mentioned this to a few people and they seem to think I’m crazy but honestly it’s highly unlikely the the Falcons will spend all of their cap space in one offseason so franchising GM is probably the smart move. 

I'm not against tagging Kaleb, the only thing is if he does continue to impress and you want to sign him long term after next offseason his price tag is probably going to be much much more than it would be right now.  Speculation on my part of course, however, as the cap increases and if Kaleb continues to be one of the better young tackles in the league he is going to command a haul.  If you sign him now, you probably save millions.

Also it's not just this year.  I was pretty hard on him last year and after re-watching his reps and film, Kaleb has actually been pretty solid from the middle part of last year to today.  Sign him to a long term contract and call it a day imo.

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Extending Lindstrom and cutting Mariota will clear 17.5m

so for 1m out of our cap space we currently are set to have I keep my line together another season and allow McGary to prove his good season this year was not a fluke.

you’re right though. Let’s roll the dice and pray whoever fills in is good. What could go wrong.

So you would be willing to give him 18.25 for 2023 on a franchise tag when you could have picked up his 5th year option for 2023 at less than 13M? Thats crazy. Mcgary would be getting paid like a top three RT. I wouldnt do that. I would give him no more than a 3 year extension and that's about as far as I would go. I would like to keep him but I'm not afraid to let him walk. 

5 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Maybe Mike McGlinchey but quality starters in the trenches are going to be expensive.

The Falcons can only afford so many huge deals. A couple of big name signings in addition to huge contract extensions and most of the cap space will be gone.

Contract extension for Lindstrom will create MORE cap space.

Just now, ShoNuff said:

😂 I must admit @papachaz  ...😂...when I saw @Swayzee previous avatar...😂...I thought about the jock strap scene in "The Hangover"....😂...

Yeah, I see the similarities.

Crazy thing is there is an actual person that took that picture and thought it looked good. That dude was so delusional he probably thought Mike Davis was a good signing last season as well.

19 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

So you would be willing to give him 18.25 for 2023 on a franchise tag when you could have picked up his 5th year option for 2023 at less than 13M? Thats crazy. Mcgary would be getting paid like a top three RT. I wouldnt do that. I would give him no more than a 3 year extension and that's about as far as I would go. I would like to keep him but I'm not afraid to let him walk. 

Crazy would have been to give an undeserving player the 5th year option. See Beasley for a recent historical reference!

9 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

LOL...

A kid that works for me showed me that treasure. as far as me choosing it for an avatar, It was a bad idea from the jump.

I'mma put that right up there along side of whomever decided to bring Tank Commander Marcus on as the QB....

:lol:

8 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

Yeah, I see the similarities.

Crazy thing is there is an actual person that took that picture and thought it looked good. That dude was so delusional he probably thought Mike Davis was a good signing last season as well.

maybe man thighs do it for him

:shrug:

:lol:

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

If you are willing to give McGary almost 20M guaranteed next season on a franchise tag then you are a fool. That's 1/4th of the teams cap space next year dedicated to one average player. 

That’s so Rankin Smith of them to spend money like that on lesser talent.

57 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

He didn’t deserve 12mil before this year. And he arguably is worth more than 12mil now. Hindsight bro. 

1 hour ago, Lethal said:

I'm not against tagging Kaleb, the only thing is if he does continue to impress and you want to sign him long term after next offseason his price tag is probably going to be much much more than it would be right now.  Speculation on my part of course, however, as the cap increases and if Kaleb continues to be one of the better young tackles in the league he is going to command a haul.  If you sign him now, you probably save millions.

Also it's not just this year.  I was pretty hard on him last year and after re-watching his reps and film, Kaleb has actually been pretty solid from the middle part of last year to today.  Sign him to a long term contract and call it a day imo.

He does it 2 years in a row then then pay the man(again).

HE still has a lonnnnnnnng way to go in pass protection and IF Ridder (or whoever really) is the future, this team needs balance and a huge improvement in the passing game.

16 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

He does it 2 years in a row then then pay the man(again).

HE still has a lonnnnnnnng way to go in pass protection and IF Ridder (or whoever really) is the future, this team needs balance and a huge improvement in the passing game.

I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it out to be, his pass pro, esp considering comps to other RTs but I do agree that’s his area for improvement.  He’s a beast in the run game.

Also I can’t take you seriously with that new av 🤣 

5 minutes ago, Lethal said:

I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it out to be, his pass pro, esp considering comps to other RTs but I do agree that’s his area for improvement.  He’s a beast in the run game.

Also I can’t take you seriously with that new av 🤣 

You apparently missed the one I sported for a few days..lol. I

I don't love this one either, if I'm being honest. Might just revert back to the old one. Decisions, decisions....

3 minutes ago, Swayzee said:

You apparently missed the one I sported for a few days..lol. I

I don't love this one either, if I'm being honest. Might just revert back to the old one. Decisions, decisions....

I say keep it!  It’s freaking hilarious 😂 

9 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I don't disagree with this necessarily BUT there's a decent amount of RTs hitting the market that may be upgrades:

• George Fant
  • Mike McGlinchey
  • Billy Turner
  • JaWuan James
  • Jawaan Taylor
  • David Quessenberry

If we can get one of those, would yall consider that an upgrade?

No.

11 hours ago, atljbo said:

It's hard to see a franchise tag... That's around 18.2 mil for the year.... Normally that number or more is the guys new number for his new contract

example ... Cam Robinson was franchised (16.6 mil) but his contract extension was for 3 year for 54 mil (18 mil a year) ...

David Njoku was franchised (10.9 mil) but his extension 4 year for 56 mil (14 mil a year)

I think we try our hardest to resign him but I would low-key be shocked if we franchise tag him ... Transitional may be an option but I think we try to have him signed before FA

Yeah, I don’t see TF playing the franchise tag game with Kaleb’s side at all. As you said way too expensive, and would end up being just plugging a temporary leak on a still rebuilding team. 

Either you believe in him as your RT in what you are building here or you don’t. He’s shown me enough to try and sign him to a 3-4 year deal.