January Game Thread 2023

blkbigdog35

Welcome to 2023 where the front office turmoil is at the forefront of this Hawks team.

I hate meddlesome and cheap ownership. Hire basketball people and LET them do their jobs.

Seems like a hostile takeover from Nick Ressler and Landry Fields. It had better work.

However, the cracks began to show in July when sources say Hawks governor Tony Ressler pushed the front office to go on a cost-cutting spree, which resulted in a top-heavy and structurally deficient roster. The moves came months after Ressler told the media he wasn't scared of the luxury tax and made private assurances to players that he planned to spend what was necessary to build a contending team.

The short-sighted plan chased off the architect of the team's rebuild, gutted the roster, and left gaping holes in the front office. As a result, 2023 presents the most perilous era in Atlanta in many years.

6 months are being hired now get a promotion from his college roommate.

.......director of scouting Stephen Giles also has been moved aside, and Grant Liffman — a scout hired last summer and Fields' college roommate — has been promoted, though the exact details of his new role were not known.

Regarding Nate:

Why do the Hawks want to keep him to finish the rest of the season? (Stop being cheap). That's fool hardy.

This is just going to breed more toxicity. Players know he doesn't want to be here now and won't be back next season.

Just rip off the band aid and install the interim (whoever that is) and let the chips fall where they will for the rest of the season. No need to soft roll this.

Team doesn't look happy playing, fans aren't happy watching.

Let's get it over and done with and let 2023 be whatever it will be.

6 hours ago, jayu70 said:

6 months are being hired now get a promotion from his college roommate.

.......director of scouting Stephen Giles also has been moved aside, and Grant Liffman — a scout hired last summer and Fields' college roommate — has been promoted, though the exact details of his new role were not known.

Was there ever an official announcement about Nick Ressler?

3 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Was there ever an official announcement about Nick Ressler?

I think he's technically been in the same role for awhile, but rumors and anecdotes suggest his voice is carrying increasingly more weight. Certainly the move from Schlenk to Fields would seem to support those claims. 

For what it's worth, Fields seems to have a pretty good reputation around the league, so I'm not super concerned about transitioning from Schlenk to him... it's the behavior of ownership that has me really concerned, though. 

Edited by Expert Poster

10 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Regarding Nate:

Why do the Hawks want to keep him to finish the rest of the season? (Stop being cheap). That's fool hardy.

This is just going to breed more toxicity. Players know he doesn't want to be here now and won't be back next season.

Just rip off the band aid and install the interim (whoever that is) and let the chips fall where they will for the rest of the season. No need to soft roll this.

Team doesn't look happy playing, fans aren't happy watching.

Let's get it over and done with and let 2023 be whatever it will be.

I hear ya, and I certainly won't complain if they rip the band-aid off midseason, but the main fear to me is running into the same dilemma as two years ago: interim comes in and rights the ship this season, is so impressive that he gets the job full-time, then next season everyone realizes that he's not the right guy long term. I'd like to say we wouldn't do that again, but decision-making is tricky when you're riding the high of a deep playoff run. 

Sadly, chalking this up as a lost season may be the best route to take. 

28 minutes ago, EddieK said:

At least Dre is back tonight 

Hopefully Capela is back soon. The only thing left I'm clinging to for this season is that we're 10-5 when all five starters play. If we can get into the playoffs healthy and establish some sort of rhythm in getting there, maybe it'll be interesting. 

55 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

I hear ya, and I certainly won't complain if they rip the band-aid off midseason, but the main fear to me is running into the same dilemma as two years ago: interim comes in and rights the ship this season, is so impressive that he gets the job full-time, then next season everyone realizes that he's not the right guy long term. I'd like to say we wouldn't do that again, but decision-making is tricky when you're riding the high of a deep playoff run. 

Sadly, chalking this up as a lost season may be the best route to take. 

Have you seen the collection of assistants on the bench. Who's gonna take over Nate's son? 😆 

1 hour ago, Expert Poster said:

I think he's technically been in the same role for awhile, but rumors and anecdotes suggest his voice is carrying increasingly more weight. Certainly the move from Schlenk to Fields would seem to support those claims. 

For what it's worth, Fields seems to have a pretty good reputation around the league, so I'm not super concerned about transitioning from Schlenk to him... it's the behavior of ownership that has me really concerned, though. 

Ownership is something I didn’t think we would have to worry about.

4 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Ownership is something I didn’t think we would have to worry about.

Same. Between Blank, Liberty Media, and Ressler, stupid me would have told you a year and a half ago that the Hawks had the best ownership situation of the three by far. 

Now I'm questioning if we have a worse ownership situation than the silly 758-member Atlanta Spirit group from back in the day.