Ridders preseason passes…….just absolutely beautiful touch, precision and accuracy

gazoo

8 hours ago, gazoo said:

Exactly why I posted them last night. I think many have forgotten how awesome he looked.  He played 4 seasons, 50 games in a pro style offense in college so it’s not nearly as big a big leap/ adjustment coming into NFL as it is for QBs who played 3 seasons, in 30 games in an RPO offense in college.

Ridder looks calm, cool and collected as a pocket passer in preseason and I’m tired of people being dismissive of how well he went through his progressions and got the ball out on time and accurate simply because it was preseason.  He’s clearly a better pocket passer and decision maker than Mariota.  I understand this doesn’t mean he’s a guaranty to make it a a starting NFL QB, the only way you prove that is to have a legitimate chance to.

What also impressed me was on some of those throws down field they looked like effortless wrist flicks.

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

Ryan Leaf. 

I simply don't put as much stock in first round QB evaluations as you do, so it's pretty natural I don't put as much faith in 3rd round QBs. Your OP was based on pre-season. My comments were pointed at your "evidence" in the early posts in this thread. Here are all the 3rd round QBs I could find for the last five drafts:

Ridder

Willis

Corral

Mond

Mills

Grier

Rudolph

Which one of those is clearly better than Mariota? 

Don't think I don't like Ridder.  I actually hope he is the guy you sell him to be. That said, he may end up being more like James Stone than Alex Mack. I'm a "show me" type of guy. I know this team can win games with Mariota. I don't yet know it can win them with Ridder. I hope so...but I have no proof. I think it would be a mistake to run an experiment at QB before we are elimitated from the playoffs. 

Kirk Cousins - 4th round

Dak Prescott - 4th round

Jalen Hurts - mid-late 2nd round

Taylor Heinicke - Undrafted

Tom Brady - 6th round

Jimmy G - 2nd round

Russell Wilson - 3rd round

Derek Carr - 2nd round

Hurts, Jimmy G, Carr, and Dak have been having a pretty good season so far.

I think Ridder could end up being better than most of those QBs outside of Brady and possibly Wilson in his prime. Dak is good, but he isn't special. Jury still out on Hurts but he is possibly one of the top 5 QBs this season.

4 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Kirk Cousins - 4th round

Dak Prescott - 4th round

Tom Brady - 6th round

Jimmy G - 2nd round

Derek Carr - 2nd round

I think Ridder could end up being better than most of those QBs outside of Brady and possibly Wilson in his prime. Dak is good, but he isn't special. Jury still out on Hurts but he is possibly one of the top 5 QBs this season.

Hurts is the surprise for me this season. Didn't think he'd be this good this fast. I'd say at this point there's only three guys playing better ball than Hurts:

Mahomes

Allen

Tagovailoa

On 11/24/2022 at 12:36 AM, JayOzOne said:

Arthur will play him when we're mathematically eliminated. Winning one week and then losing the next in a very "meh" division is pushing his debut back toward the final few weeks of the season. If then.

Arthur Smith may be trying to Tank in a slick way. The only problem is, he's playing against teams like Chicago that's better at doing it. 

5 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Kirk Cousins - 4th round

Dak Prescott - 4th round

Tom Brady - 6th round

Jimmy G - 2nd round

Derek Carr - 2nd round

I don't get why these cats are trying to downplay Ridder. It's not like he had to sneak in to get noticed. He's been good throughout his entire College Career.

I keep hearing this 🐂 💩 about where he was drafted. Even on the radio.

He was my pick at QB, even if CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, and any other so called top QB would have been available. 

7 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I don't get why these cats are trying to downplay Ridder. It's not like he had to sneak in to get noticed. He's been good throughout his entire College Career.

I keep hearing this 🐂 💩 about where he was drafted. Even on the radio.

He was my pick at QB, even if CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, and any other so called top QB would have been available. 

I think Ridder could have a better NFL career than Young or Stroud.

Ridder could've definitely been a top 1st round pick had he was able to play another year in college this season and put together another really good season like he did last season.

Edited by DonGonnaFindTFOut

7 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Kirk Cousins - 4th round

Dak Prescott - 4th round

Tom Brady - 6th round

Jimmy G - 2nd round

Derek Carr - 2nd round

Thanks for assisting with my point. QB evaluations are, at best, and inexact science. You don't know what you have till they get on the field. Draft position doesn't mean much. 

I appreciate the highlights of the preseason, and I have to admit that I forgot something that I saw then, that really probably is driving a lot of the "lets see what we have" argument.  That is, Ridder does seem to have that "it" factor.  He's fun to watch and he seems to be the kind of guy that if he threw a "butt" pass, it would end up complete.

I also think that there was a part of the preseason that we really didnt see and that was the scrimmages.  Teams use those scrimmages for evaluation a lot more now, so in that evaluation, coaches can stop plays, reset players, and have on the field direct communication.  I have a feeling that this is where the Falcons fell in love with Ridder but also decided to give him time to learn.  I have no proof, but I think he may have went against the other team's ones in those situations, and thats what has led AS to repeat the mantra over and over again "Mariota gives us our best chance to win".

Finally, I was working in Miami during HOF QB Marino's rookie season and Marino wasnt initially the starter.  HOF coach Don Shula sat him for a guy named David Woodley.  The fanbase was so upset.  There was a huge part of the fanbase that really wanted Marino to start and they were chanting it at the games.  He did make Marino the starter at the halfway mark, and they went to the Super bowl the next year but when all was said and done, nobody looks back and blames Shula for that lost season and Marino has later acknowledged that it made him a better pro.

1 hour ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

I think Ridder could have a better NFL career than Young or Stroud.

Ridder could've definitely been a top 1st round pick had he was able to play another year in college this season and put together another really good season like he did last season.

Ridder could and should have been a 1st Round pick period. I think the NFL has turned into a controlled market. Unless they say you will be a 1st Round Pick, your chances are low. Ridder's only problem is that he didn't play for a Power 5 School. 

34 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Ridder could and should have been a 1st Round pick period. I think the NFL has turned into a controlled market. Unless they say you will be a 1st Round Pick, your chances are low. Ridder's only problem is that he didn't play for a Power 5 School. 

He’d be playing long before now if that were the case.

14 hours ago, atljbo said:

and he ran a 4.49 so very mobile... But thats what has me excited about him.. Accuracy with touch and multiple analysis mention that he arm looks much stronger then they thought.

Coach wants him to have a redshirt year ... We may not like it but it is what it is.... Im trusting the coaching staff

So am I, just trusting in our coaching staff. At the end of the pre-season when Arthur Smith names Mariota the starter, Smith stated they have a plan for Ridder. I am willing to wait....

44 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Any team can pick whomever they want in any round if they're available. It's not a conspiracy nor an exact science

10 hours ago, falcndave said:

Ryan Leaf. 

I simply don't put as much stock in first round QB evaluations as you do, so it's pretty natural I don't put as much faith in 3rd round QBs. Your OP was based on pre-season. My comments were pointed at your "evidence" in the early posts in this thread. Here are all the 3rd round QBs I could find for the last five drafts:

Ridder

Willis

Corral

Mond

Mills

Grier

Rudolph

Which one of those is clearly better than Mariota? 

Don't think I don't like Ridder.  I actually hope he is the guy you sell him to be. That said, he may end up being more like James Stone than Alex Mack. I'm a "show me" type of guy. I know this team can win games with Mariota. I don't yet know it can win them with Ridder. I hope so...but I have no proof. I think it would be a mistake to run an experiment at QB before we are elimitated from the playoffs. 

To be clear, my position is he looks to have all the tools to be an effective starting QB in the NFL. But until he gets the chance to play several games in regular season we won’t know for sure. So bringing up Ryan Leaf supports my position.

Your argument seems to be you can’t evaluate specific qualities a QB has from college and preseason. I disagree with that and so does Kurt Warner, AS, TF, Dan Orlovsky and more. So we all disagree with your point.

That said, we all agree until he plays several games in regular season we know know if those skills we’ve already witnessed with our own eyes will allow him to be successful as a starting NFL QB.

15 minutes ago, Falconus Prime said:

Truth of the matter, the only thing that has kept us in games this year is our running game, and the fact that our quarterback can scramble

Just imagine if we had a starting QB who could not only run faster, but could also throw the ball, maximizing the amazing talents of players like Drake London and Kyle Pitts.

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

To be clear, my position is he looks to have all the tools to be an effective starting QB in the NFL. But until he gets the chance to play several games in regular season we won’t know for sure.

Your argument seems to be you can’t evaluate specific qualities a QB has from college and preseason. I disagree with that and so does Kurt Warner, AS, TF, Dan Orlovsky and more. So we all disagree with your point.

That said, we all agree until he plays several games in regular season we know know if those skills we’ve already witnessed with our own eyes will allow him to be successful as a starting NFL QB.

I think one can evaluate qualities and talent from college and preseason.

The speed of the NFL games and disguised defenses IMO will be the biggest obstacles for any rookie QB. This is why Tampa gave MR2 fits his rookie year

13 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I think one can evaluate qualities and talent from college and preseason.

The speed of the NFL games and disguised defenses IMO will be the biggest obstacles for any rookie QB. This is why Tampa gave MR2 fits his rookie year

Indeed. This is where football IQ comes into play. And this is a certain kind of way a brain processes lineups, defensive fronts, with 22 pieces presnap. The best QBs in NFL history had/have this. It does appear, and Kurt Warner picks up on this in his breakdown, that Ridder is processing at this level. I noticed this watching his college tape playing in a pro style offense. I’m not talking about IQ which is a measure of raw intelligence, I’m talking about football IQ, the way your mind processes the field.

I’LL give you an example. My ex wife is highly intelligent and is an executive at an international corporation. Straight A’s in college. However, she had zero football IQ in the context of how I’m using it. When we would go shopping I always manned the shopping cart because she would drive me insane pushing the cart in front of people trying to get by, she had no field vision.  When we’d get out to the busy parking lot, my mind automatically processed all the moving cars and people moving different ways and calculated the quickest way to navigate the cart to my car with least resistance. I had the field vision, it was innate, automatic. She, on the other hand, would push the cart straight into the middle of all the traffic in the parking lot and cause a log jam.

Mariota does not have the vision, the ability to read the field and process the moving parts. Ridder does, it’s already there. Again, for falcondave, this doesn’t mean he will be a successful starting QB in NFL, it means he has an innate specific talent that the great ones do.

6 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

We've had this "Look at Ridder's preseason highlights" thread like 5 times now. It doesn't change anything relative to him being ready to start. I think he has potential for the future though.

AS said Ridder wouldn’t be QB #2 on the depth chart if he wasn’t “ready to start”.  

1 hour ago, RetroRoq said:

I forgot something that I saw then, that really probably is driving a lot of the "lets see what we have" argument.  That is, Ridder does seem to have that "it" factor.  He's fun to watch and he seems to be the kind of guy that if he threw a "butt" pass, it would end up complete.

Agreed, this with the “it” factor make plays when game on the line.  In preseason he completed countless 3rd and longs with precision passing to keep drives alive, sometimes 3rd and 16 type 3rd and longs. 

Then, that game winning money pass against Detroit, that’s the kind of play that you see the greats make with the game on the line. He also was the 3rd winning QB in college football history winning 44 of 50 games. 

So it’s exciting to see if this trend can continue.

5 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

I don't care what head coaches say. They say what they need to say, not what's true. If Ridder was ready to start he would be starting, because Mariota is clipping our wings.

So on one hand you say you trust the coach to not start him before he’s ready, but on the other hand you don’t trust the coach when he says he is ready or he wouldn’t be the #2 QB on the depth chart. That’s an interesting position.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

So on one hand you say you trust the coach to not start him before he’s ready, but on the other hand you don’t trust the coach when he says he is ready or he wouldn’t be the #2 QB on the depth chart. That’s an interesting position.

Yeah I trust our coach to know what he's doing, which includes saying the right (right, not true) thing. AS has made clear he doesn't care about press conferences at all, so why would I care about them?

You agree Mariota is not playing well, so if Ridder were ready he would start. That's the only conclusion left.