Ridders preseason passes…….just absolutely beautiful touch, precision and accuracy

gazoo

Gazoo, I understand the purpose and intent of this post.  I agree, we have reason to be optimistic about our 3rd round QB.  I think he will be one of the better QB's in the league by 2024.  However, I don't agree with the title of your post. 

Ridder is athletic and intelligent, but he has a ways to go before he is accurate with his throws.  He has a lot to learn about footwork.  His throws in preseason (and college) were off-target often.  That was the criticism that was levied on him as a draft prospect.....and the reason he was available in the 3rd round.

I think we got a steal of a draft pick.  I think Raggone and AS will shape him into a terrific starting QB, but let's not pretend that he is already an accurate passer.  He has work to do and I believe that is what this season has been all about. 

and he ran a 4.49 so very mobile... But thats what has me excited about him.. Accuracy with touch and multiple analysis mention that he arm looks much stronger then they thought.

Coach wants him to have a redshirt year ... We may not like it but it is what it is.... Im trusting the coaching staff

9 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Gazoo, I understand the purpose and intent of this post.  I agree, we have reason to be optimistic about our 3rd round QB.  I think he will be one of the better QB's in the league by 2024.  However, I don't agree with the title of your post. 

Ridder is athletic and intelligent, but he has a ways to go before he is accurate with his throws.  He has a lot to learn about footwork.  His throws in preseason (and college) were off-target often.  That was the criticism that was levied on him as a draft prospect.....and the reason he was available in the 3rd round.

I think we got a steal of a draft pick.  I think Raggone and AS will shape him into a terrific starting QB, but let's not pretend that he is already an accurate passer.  He has work to do and I believe that is what this season has been all about. 

I think his point is, even with “ways to go” he’s better than what we are trotting out there every week 

18 hours ago, quickzero said:

Ridder has some bad passes in there too, but I do agree I would rather see Ridder over Mariota at this point just to see what he's got. I've been done with Mariota all the way back to like week 4.

Also some of those DB's are making Darby look like T.O out there.. lol

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

Yes brother etherdome, to a degree that is true.

Naturally coming out of college he had some footwork mechanics to work on but his accuracy criticism from college to what some pundits were claiming was way overblown.  Ridder had a 65.5% completion percentage his last two seasons starting in college. Matt Ryans last two year of college his completion percentage was only 60.5%, Tom Brady’s was 61.5%, Aaron Rodgers  63.8%, Patrick Mahomes 64.6% and Justin Herbert’s 63.1%, Malik Willis 62.6%, Drew Brees 60.6%, Matthew Stafford 58.5%. So they ALL had accuracy problems. 

And while all QBs throw bad balls during games, that’s not what you look for. What is happening the other passes? Ridder was ripping them in there with precision on mid and deep balls during preseason.

I believe the run on Ridders supposed accuracy issues coming out of school was overblown. If you are hitting over 65% your jr and senior season you are hitting the target.

20 minutes ago, atljbo said:

and he ran a 4.49 so very mobile... But thats what has me excited about him.. Accuracy with touch and multiple analysis mention that he arm looks much stronger then they thought.

Coach wants him to have a redshirt year ... We may not like it but it is what it is.... Im trusting the coaching staff

I still think we see him this year at some point.

I think Arthur Smith knows exactly what he has in Ridder. I believe He's honestly protecting him from this turd fest we are fielding every week. Next year we will be able to surround him with better talent on both sides. That will be Ridders team. Plus it gives him time to become more consistent with is throws and mechanics. Ridder can spin it. I believe He can run, but Ridder is more of a pocket passer who can run too. Like Rodgers. Ridder is gonna want to stand in the pocket and throw it more than anything. That will make him able to have a longer career, stay healthier, and that could be a huge plus for us.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

3 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I think Arthur Smith knows exactly what he has in Ridder. I believe He's honestly protecting him from this turd fest we are fielding every week. Next year we will be able to surround him with better talent on both sides. That will be Ridders team. 

Ridder can spin it. Some people think he's a QB that's gonna run a lot. I believe He can run, but Ridder is more of a pocket passer who can run too. Like Rodgers. Ridder is gonna want to stand in the pocket and throw it more than anything. That will make him able to have a longer career, stay healthier, and that could be a huge plus for us.

I completely agree, Ridder is a pocket QB who can also run, but he’s a pocket QB who can read defenses, quickly go through his progressions and get the ball out on time. 

20 hours ago, gazoo said:

Just watch all these beautifully placed passes mid and deep field all preseason. It’s irrelevant that he’s throwing to 2nd and 3rd team receivers as far as decision making and accuracy. Look how well he sees the field and how quick his decision making is. 

Look at his poise and pocket awareness. Watch him avoid pass rushers with slight moves as he continues looking down field, buying enough time to get the pass off.

Here’s another really good video on Ridder too

49 minutes ago, Blitz28179 said:

I like the comment on the thread it’s best to watch him yourself than take the work of draft analysts. Often one analyst will say something critical about a draft prospect and the others parrot it. And we see often they were all worng.

Ridder had a 65.5% completion percentage his last two seasons starting in college. Matt Ryans last two year of college his completion percentage was only 60.5%, Tom Brady’s was 61.5%, Aaron Rodgers  63.8%, Patrick Mahomes 64.6%, Russell Wilson 65.6%, Justin Herbert’s 63.1%, Malik Willis 62.6%, Drew Brees 60.6%, Matthew Stafford 58.5%.

So they ALL had accuracy problems if Ridder did. There is nothing remarkable here.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I still think we see him this year at some point.

possibly .. but not when it matters and most likely if injury happens... Just hearing coach talk about a young marcus or how young QBs can be messed up being put in the wrong situation.

I have no doubt they like him and think he is there guy.. I just think they want him to sit and learn week in and week out how the week to week process is for a qb in the nfl.

We will see when they think its time tho

What QB in the history of the NFL who came from college played perfectly in his first few games?

The answer is none ever.

Pointing to things he needs to improve on is simply stating the obvious, all QBs make mistakes and have things to work on when they come to the NFL. All veteran QBs work on areas needing improvement each off season.

But this accuracy thing he supposedly came into the league with has been grossly overblown.

Ridder had a 65.5% completion percentage his last two seasons starting in college. Matt Ryans last two year of college his completion percentage was only 60.5%, Tom Brady’s was 61.5%, Aaron Rodgers  63.8%, Patrick Mahomes 64.6%, Russell Wilson 65.6%, Justin Herbert’s 63.1%, Malik Willis 62.6%. 

1 hour ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I think Arthur Smith knows exactly what he has in Ridder. I believe He's honestly protecting him from this turd fest we are fielding every week. Next year we will be able to surround him with better talent on both sides. That will be Ridders team. Plus it gives him time to become more consistent with is throws and mechanics. Ridder can spin it. I believe He can run, but Ridder is more of a pocket passer who can run too. Like Rodgers. Ridder is gonna want to stand in the pocket and throw it more than anything. That will make him able to have a longer career, stay healthier, and that could be a huge plus for us.

Agreed. 
Except for taking over for an injured Mariota, I see no good reason to trot DM out there behind this OL.  I expect us to sign a solid OL in the off-season......a Center would not surprised me at all. 

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I completely agree, Ridder is a pocket QB who can also run, but he’s a pocket QB who can read defenses, quickly go through his progressions and get the ball out on time. 

I agree. He's a mature kid and I think he will be ready when his time comes. This will be a lot different offense with Ridder. 

4 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I agree. He's a mature kid and I think he will be ready when his time comes. This will be a lot different offense with Ridder. 

Your point above is a good one. Maybe AS and AF don’t need to see anymore, they already know what they have after watching him play in preseason. That’s a distinct possibility they’ve already got him locked in as day 1 starter next year.

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Your point above is a good one. Maybe AS and AF don’t need to see anymore, they already know what they have after watching him play in preseason. That’s a distinct possibility.

I think between that and what how they see him in practice everyday. They have a good idea. I think Ridder is a smart guy and he's probably soaking it all in. If he is, they probably get a good feeling from his knowledge of the offense too. I know the kid is bursting to get out there, but the league could get a surprise come the 2023 season.

To me, it's a TRAVESTY that Ridder isn't QB1. I don't want to hear about "being in the playoff mix." No. No we're not. Not in reality, because even if we manage to get in the playoffs, does anyone think we have a snowball's chance in HECK to advance, let alone win the super bowl? SERIOUSLY, I want to know who on TATF thinks this year's Falcons matches up with the class of the NFC. Yeah yeah, any given Saunday...blah blah blah.

In fact, making the playoffs might be a bad thing. If we limp in to the postseason, I'm afraid that'd cement Mariota as QB1 next year. Which prolongs the REBUILD (I'll say it since Arthur wont) for another 2 years.

This is gross mismanagement and I can't find any reason other than "coach said so" as to why Mariota isn't holding a clipboard, but I suppose as a Falcons fan, this is the life I chose.

We have nothing to judge Ridder by. I don't know how good he is or isn't. Until he gets on the NFL field against defenses that are focused on stopping our offense (as opposed to evaluating fringe roster guys), it is all just hoping and guessing. I suppose he can run for his life and chuck and duck as good as Mariota has been doing behind our OL...but that is just a guess. Even if I'm right, is that the evaluation we want? 

6 minutes ago, falcndave said:

We have nothing to judge Ridder by

We have 4 years of college tape, training camp, 3 preseason games and weekly practices to judge him by. Kurt Warner is judging him based on his preseason play film breakdown.

How do you think teams decide what QB they are going to select in the draft? The draft is based on the very judgements you claim don’t exist.

You are confusing things. We have plenty to judge him on. It’s simply not dispositive until he plays in some regular season games which most of us agree. 

49 minutes ago, gazoo said:

We have 4 years of college tape, training camp, 3 preseason games and weekly practices to judge him by. Kurt Warner is judging him based on his preseason play film breakdown.

How do you think teams decide what QB they are going to select in the draft? The draft is based on the very judgements you claim don’t exist.

You are confusing things. We have plenty to judge him on. It’s simply not dispositive until he plays in some regular season games which most of us agree. 

Ryan Leaf. 

I simply don't put as much stock in first round QB evaluations as you do, so it's pretty natural I don't put as much faith in 3rd round QBs. Your OP was based on pre-season. My comments were pointed at your "evidence" in the early posts in this thread. Here are all the 3rd round QBs I could find for the last five drafts:

Ridder

Willis

Corral

Mond

Mills

Grier

Rudolph

Which one of those is clearly better than Mariota? 

Don't think I don't like Ridder.  I actually hope he is the guy you sell him to be. That said, he may end up being more like James Stone than Alex Mack. I'm a "show me" type of guy. I know this team can win games with Mariota. I don't yet know it can win them with Ridder. I hope so...but I have no proof. I think it would be a mistake to run an experiment at QB before we are elimitated from the playoffs. 

18 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Be patient folks he may not play this year and I don’t want to hear  the “We need to know what we have so we can get a QB next year” crowd.  2023 QB class is not great.

The 2023 QB class is overrated. Most of them aren't playing that well this college season.