Falcons sign WR Frank Darby

2 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

He did catch this awesome throw by Ridder in preseason. Regular season I think he had a few catches last season. He wasn't on the final roster this season until now.

Man I hate to be the guy to bring this up, but I cannot wait until Ridder gets the start. 

That's a ball that Mariota can't throw. Very solid placement for a rookie. Good catch by Darby.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/frank-darby/32004441-5213-9841-7f25-6d00ea8a39ff

Overview
Good size and speed but a scouting report filled with ball-skill concerns. Darby's deep-ball production is unquestioned, but he's one of the rare prospects who can look very good or very bad when tracking throws down the field. His top-end speed will create cushions and open up some intermediate throws for him, but the route-running still needs work. The biggest concern is that he really struggles to secure throws outside his frame. Catching the football is the name of the game, so the speed might land him on a roster, but he needs to improve his basic ball skills to stick around.
Strengths
  • Impressive deep-ball talent.
  • Averaged over 20 yards per catch over first three seasons.
  • Nearly 20 percent of his catches resulted in touchdowns.
  • Intimidating build-up speed to separate.
  • Strong legs help play through heavy route redirection.
  • Gains ground on his terms.
  • Quick to stack and separate on deep throws.
  • Will work his way back to the quarterback on second-level routes.
  • Tough and fast after the catch.
  • Locks up with strong inside hands when blocking in run game.

4 minutes ago, JG2008 said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/frank-darby/32004441-5213-9841-7f25-6d00ea8a39ff

Overview
Good size and speed but a scouting report filled with ball-skill concerns. Darby's deep-ball production is unquestioned, but he's one of the rare prospects who can look very good or very bad when tracking throws down the field. His top-end speed will create cushions and open up some intermediate throws for him, but the route-running still needs work. The biggest concern is that he really struggles to secure throws outside his frame. Catching the football is the name of the game, so the speed might land him on a roster, but he needs to improve his basic ball skills to stick around.
Strengths
  • Impressive deep-ball talent.
  • Averaged over 20 yards per catch over first three seasons.
  • Nearly 20 percent of his catches resulted in touchdowns.
  • Intimidating build-up speed to separate.
  • Strong legs help play through heavy route redirection.
  • Gains ground on his terms.
  • Quick to stack and separate on deep throws.
  • Will work his way back to the quarterback on second-level routes.
  • Tough and fast after the catch.
  • Locks up with strong inside hands when blocking in run game.

@Pa_Falcon_Fanusually nails these.  He hasnt been on in a minute.

I liked Darby's college tape but he never showed anything in preseason until Ridder. it would be for the best if Darby could step up and be the receiver we wanted Edwards to be, plus Darby is pretty good at blocking. he's pretty much useless now as a receiver right now anyway

21 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

He did catch this awesome throw by Ridder in preseason. Regular season I think he had a few catches last season. He wasn't on the final roster this season until now.

I think Darby has all the physical tools, it's just the mental side holding him back. He mentioned earlier this year that AS wanted to see him be a pro. Kinda makes me feel like maybe AS feels like he's not putting in the work or he still doesn't know his assignments. I really want to see that dude succeed! Hopefully this will start something for him.

4 hours ago, JG2008 said:
Overview

just the worst overview ever

5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

@Pa_Falcon_Fanusually nails these.  He hasnt been on in a minute.

A little different take on Darby:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Frank-Darby-WR-ArizonaState

Strengths

Has a knack for getting open and is a quarterback's best friend - passers just need to toss the ball in his area and he'll come down with it.

He catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough. Deceptive jets and a smooth route runner.

He is quicker than fast and lacks elite wheels to simply blow by defenders, but he has good football speed.

Does not have exceptional straight-line speed but takes advantage of open seams when his quarterback is on target.

Good quickness off the line. Has size and quickness to get off NFL press.

Weaknesses

Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.

Comes off the snap high and upright, and doesn't get to top speed quickly. Not sudden or elusive.

Unpolished route runner and does a poor job selling routes, lacking much burst in and out of his breaks. Isn't the most natural pass catcher.

Hands are good, not great. Will drop some easy balls and sometimes will body catch. Occasionally fails to high point.

Inconsistent high-pointing passes. Allows too many throws into his body when facing the quarterback.

8 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

I'm more excited about the WR signed to the practice squad. Emeka Emezie is a guy I wanted us to sign as an UDFA. 6'3 220lbs and runs a 4.5

I liked him too. A big receiver who looks more like a TE…has good hands too. Maybe he could end up being our possession WR ala Sanu?

11 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I liked him too. A big receiver who looks more like a TE…has good hands too. Maybe he could end up being our possession WR ala Sanu?

Yeah I think he's in a good position right now. On the PS getting comfortable with the playbook and working out with Ridder. Let them build chemistry for next year.