Mariota has earned some votes for NFL MVP

7 hours ago, RetroRoq said:

It will likely come down to final W-L tally, but I think this could end up being one of those seasons where we all look back and say, "why was everybody so down on Mariota?"

He came in cheap when we really needed cheap ( look around the league right now and the results being generated by QBs make 2-3 times his salary).

He competed.  He didn't complain.  He didnt blame.  There are a lot of directions the team could have went (including Ridder) and got less results.  So far, he has represented the Falcons well during a season where everyone really expected a lot less.

In a game where you are judged by wins and losses, Mariota has held his end of the bargain and he has played to win.  He has taken some monster shots this year and got back up and competed.

If value is based on setting the tone and attitude, he certainly has a shot at team MVP, but you got Grady and Grady is just the man.

NFL Comeback Player of the year??? Lets see how these next few games pan out without his unicorn TE... I think Mariota has a shot.

Comeback POTY... yeah, sign me up.

I 100% know he isn't the answer and I want Ridder in ASAP... but the dude has way outperformed expectations and this team is still in the playoff race (somehow) at Thanksgiving. 

5 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Comeback POTY... yeah, sign me up.

I 100% know he isn't the answer and I want Ridder in ASAP... but the dude has way outperformed expectations and this team is still in the playoff race (somehow) at Thanksgiving. 

Actually in my mind, he's underperformed. I know he wasn't all pro before but I did expect him to know better as a vet. And the only reason we are in the playoff race is because the rest of the south is balls

I swear, this is the video game effect infecting some peoples minds as to what makes a great QB. Passing the ball is irrelevant to some. As long as someone can get an adrenaline buzz off a 12 yard scramble, the QB is canonized by the video game generation. 

I'm convinced if a QB was built exactly like a kangaroo, some of the fanbase would demand we trade up to the first pick in the draft to get him.  Can't throw a ball? No worries, look at how fast he is!!!!!

35 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I swear, this is the video game effect infecting some peoples minds as to what makes a great QB. Passing the ball is irrelevant to some. As long as someone can get an adrenaline buzz off a 12 yard scramble, the QB is canonized by the video game generation. 

I'm convinced if a QB was built exactly like a kangaroo, some of the fanbase would demand we trade up to the first pick in the draft to get him.  Can't throw a ball? No worries, look at how fast he is!!!!!

up till the point they made it against the rules to tuck the ball in the pouch, you're right. After that, he'd fumble way too much

:lol:

10 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

We have had a lot of fun with some unusual plays like the wondrous horizontal effort versus Carolina, but overall Mariota deserves some recognition for being a big part of why a team expected to be in the first draft pick race is instead still in the running for the playoffs. The guy has some limitations in the pure passing game, but he counters his weaknesses with guts, leadership and the knack for often making the game-winning play. And when he does sometimes make memorable and spectacular errors they are due to trying too hard to make a play when it isn't there. Even if Ridder is destined to someday being the starter, a team could do a whole lot worse than having a backup with the quality of Mariota available for emergency duty.

Laugh Lol GIF by The Great Pottery Throw Down

10 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

We have had a lot of fun with some unusual plays like the wondrous horizontal effort versus Carolina, but overall Mariota deserves some recognition for being a big part of why a team expected to be in the first draft pick race is instead still in the running for the playoffs. The guy has some limitations in the pure passing game, but he counters his weaknesses with guts, leadership and the knack for often making the game-winning play. And when he does sometimes make memorable and spectacular errors they are due to trying too hard to make a play when it isn't there. Even if Ridder is destined to someday being the starter, a team could do a whole lot worse than having a backup with the quality of Mariota available for emergency duty.

Yeah, no Mariota's been average at best his arm is weaker than Matt Ryan's and he certainly looks inept at times. the truth of the matter is our running game is what's kept us in most of the games

12 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

I agree, he is a Mostly Vertical Passer! Only sometimes he's Horizontal!😀BWELO4D7N5FLDDI7QMG5CHLBTU.jpeg.thumb.jpg.e162add8fc445e36f880b78d3bd99a81.jpg

3 hours ago, Lethal said:

This thread is honestly hilarious.  Marcus has zero chance at getting a single MVP vote and if you think he has any chance at CPoTY against dudes like Geno Smith, Saquon, CMC or Henry you are smoking some seriously good 💩 

Marcus Mariota has broken peoples brains 😂 

idk about CMC or Henry... but yeah, Saquon or Geno gonna win it