Mariota has earned some votes for NFL MVP

Doctor Kildare

We have had a lot of fun with some unusual plays like the wondrous horizontal effort versus Carolina, but overall Mariota deserves some recognition for being a big part of why a team expected to be in the first draft pick race is instead still in the running for the playoffs. The guy has some limitations in the pure passing game, but he counters his weaknesses with guts, leadership and the knack for often making the game-winning play. And when he does sometimes make memorable and spectacular errors they are due to trying too hard to make a play when it isn't there. Even if Ridder is destined to someday being the starter, a team could do a whole lot worse than having a backup with the quality of Mariota available for emergency duty.

It will likely come down to final W-L tally, but I think this could end up being one of those seasons where we all look back and say, "why was everybody so down on Mariota?"

He came in cheap when we really needed cheap ( look around the league right now and the results being generated by QBs make 2-3 times his salary).

He competed.  He didn't complain.  He didnt blame.  There are a lot of directions the team could have went (including Ridder) and got less results.  So far, he has represented the Falcons well during a season where everyone really expected a lot less.

In a game where you are judged by wins and losses, Mariota has held his end of the bargain and he has played to win.  He has taken some monster shots this year and got back up and competed.

If value is based on setting the tone and attitude, he certainly has a shot at team MVP, but you got Grady and Grady is just the man.

NFL Comeback Player of the year??? Lets see how these next few games pan out without his unicorn TE... I think Mariota has a shot.

16 minutes ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Yes, as the way it stands now. But if the Falcons win the division I ccould see him deserving a few mentions in the voting for the league MVP though he would not be a serious contender.

He would get zero mentions for league MVP. If they utter his name in the same sentence as league MVP they should scrap the award all together 

15 minutes ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Yes, as the way it stands now. But if the Falcons win the division I ccould see him deserving a few mentions in the voting for the league MVP though he would not be a serious contender.

I’ll give you team MVP but he doesn’t deserve to be in anyone’s conversation for league MVP at all. Even if the team wins the division. He needs about 20 more total touchdowns along with about 2000 more total yards including a division division lock

Because there are even worse QB's in the world is in no way a positive for Mariota.

In no universe is deserving of an NFL MVP vote. He's a journeyman best suited for a backup role. 

The only reason he might be team MVP would be because the "not-Mariota" vote would be split up amongst several other players and he would win a plurality.

4 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

I’ll give you team MVP but he doesn’t deserve to be in anyone’s conversation for league MVP at all. Even if the team wins the division. He needs about 20 more total touchdowns along with about 2000 more total yards including a division division lock

I'll admit the national voters will not look beyond the raw numbers to the synergy of Marcus's play.

Given that bias, I would say his greater chance is to win the Super Bowl MVP.

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Because there are even worse QB's in the world is in no way a positive for Mariota.

In no universe is deserving of an NFL MVP vote. He's a journeyman best suited for a backup role. 

The only reason he might be team MVP would be because the "not-Mariota" vote would be split up amongst several other players and he would win a plurality.

He's not even a good journeyman backup.
Players like Flacco, Bridgewater, and Keenum can get you 300 yards passing on any given Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Blitz28179 said:

He was the NFL MVP for one week. I liked the td to Drake. Mariota is too inconsistent for me

For the long run, I am as anxious to see Ridder succeed as anybody. I just think that Mariota has done a pretty good job given the circumstances. The Falcons defense is still a real work in progress so it needs protection from a severely run-oriented offense. Right now, Mariota is the best choice to run that kind of run emphasis.

24 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

My vote might go to one of those big boys opening up running lanes to the right.  They and the guys hitting them would certainly be ahead of Tank Commander for me.