Something about Patterson and Bears. Oh My!!

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If the NFL and the owners hadn't f***** up the kick-off rules so badly, CP might've ended up with a dozen return TD's before hanging it up. With the new rules he'll be lucky to get even one more. I would love to see him hit double-digits though because nobody else is ever getting 10. 

Even with the new rules in place, chances for returns didn't 100% go away. If you got it, you got it. Yeah there's a higher chance of a touchback but not every kickoff is a touchback. Some make sure to kick it short hoping the gunners dont allow a big return. If everyone does their job, a return for TD is possible on each return. Everything just has to go right. All it takes most times is one opening and hoping the player doesn't run out of gas

3 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

Even with the new rules in place, chances for returns didn't 100% go away. If you got it, you got it. Yeah there's a higher chance of a touchback but not every kickoff is a touchback. Some make sure to kick it short hoping the gunners dont allow a big return. If everyone does their job, a return for TD is possible on each return. Everything just has to go right. All it takes most times is one opening and hoping the player doesn't run out of gas

Agree. It's still possible to return a kick-off for a TD, but with kicks starting from the 35, the vast majority of returners are not going to attempt to run it out from very deep in the end zone. Returners will lose their jobs trying to do too much if they're getting tackled around the 15, or worse, very often.

The odds are so much better now to just down it and start from the 25. I think the number of TD's on kick-offs will continue to dwindle with the new rules. Will just have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. It's still possible to return a kick-off for a TD, but with kicks starting from the 35, the vast majority of returners are not going to attempt to run it out from very deep in the end zone. Returners will lose their jobs trying to do too much if they're getting tackled around the 15, or worse, very often.

The odds are so much better now to just down it and start from the 25. I think the number of TD's on kick-offs will continue to dwindle with the new rules. Will just have to wait and see.

I feel for guys that usually fit CP's mold, it's typically ideal to kneel it which is usually the bright thing to do. But for those Desean Jackson's and Tyreek Hill's, the track stars, they're more prone to take a chance at it. 

No lie I'd master booting it high causing massive hang time only to land outside of the end zone and trust my guys to get the stop. If they don't, they can't blame me lol

7 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

I feel for guys that usually fit CP's mold, it's typically ideal to kneel it which is usually the bright thing to do. But for those Desean Jackson's and Tyreek Hill's, the track stars, they're more prone to take a chance at it. 

No lie I'd master booting it high causing massive hang time only to land outside of the end zone and trust my guys to get the stop. If they don't, they can't blame me lol

Yep. I don't understand why every kicker in the league isn't trying this move every kick-off. If you have good gunners you can really put the pressure on the return guy with that move. 

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. I don't understand why every kicker in the league isn't trying this move every kick-off. If you have good gunners you can really put the pressure on the return guy with that move. 

True. Now with the track guys, I got no issue kicking out of the end zone lol. The less shifty guys, oh they got no choice but to return it

7 hours ago, Tribal Chief said:

Which is what made his return so amazing. It was like a freight train going full speed through a crowd of people. 

8 hours ago, Tribal Chief said:

One player getting 2 return TD’s in the same season has only happened 3 times in the last decade. 2 of those were Patterson. There’s only around 7 KR TD’s per season league wide these days, whereas there used to be around 25. Before the rule changes, there were multiple players with 3 in the same season.

It’s not just touchbacks. The entire unit is 5 yards closer. When it was farther back, there was more spacing between defenders because they weren’t getting downfield as fast.

Yes, it’s possible. It’s just a LOT less frequent. 

6 minutes ago, pzummo said:

One player getting 2 return TD’s in the same season has only happened 3 times in the last decade. 2 of those were Patterson. There’s only around 7 KR TD’s per season league wide these days, whereas there used to be around 25. Before the rule changes, there were multiple players with 3 in the same season.

It’s not just touchbacks. The entire unit is 5 yards closer. When it was farther back, there was more spacing between defenders because they weren’t getting downfield as fast.

Yes, it’s possible. It’s just a LOT less frequent. 

I mean, I never said that the success rate was high.

9 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

the Falcons have had 3 of the most dominant returners in NFL history at some point. Prime Time, Devin Hester and now CP84

Don't forget Allen Rossum.

Rossum didn't have as many TDs, but he is actually 2nd all time in return yardage.

For perspective, Deion is 44th
CP is 21st
Hester is 8th

We also had guys like Eric Metcalf (14th), Billy Johnson (39th), Tim Dwight (36th), and Eric Weems (55th). Heck, even Andre Roberts (17th) spent a year in Atlanta.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/ret_yds_career.htm

6 hours ago, k-train said:

Don't forget Allen Rossum.

Rossum didn't have as many TDs, but he is actually 2nd all time in return yardage.

For perspective, Deion is 44th
CP is 21st
Hester is 8th

We also had guys like Eric Metcalf (14th), Billy Johnson (39th), Tim Dwight (36th), and Eric Weems (55th). Heck, even Andre Roberts (17th) spent a year in Atlanta.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/ret_yds_career.htm

Im not trying to bust on you I promise, because this is great info about returner longevity. Atlanta has been blessed a lot with great returners. Derrick Vaughn is a name that gets left off everyone’s list…but the dude was a mack at kick returns. He was cut from the team going into 2002 because he was an awful corner, but he should never have been pressed into service as a corner and should have been only returning kicks.

Dude had 3 in 2000 alone.

1 hour ago, ki46dinah said:

Im not trying to bust on you I promise, because this is great info about returner longevity. Atlanta has been blessed a lot with great returners. Derrick Vaughn is a name that gets left off everyone’s list…but the dude was a mack at kick returns. He was cut from the team going into 2002 because he was an awful corner, but he should never have been pressed into service as a corner and should have been only returning kicks.

Dude had 3 in 2000 alone.

Yeah, I remember him well. Figured he was the long term solution back then after he had so much success early on. But like you said, they got rid of him for reasons other than his return abilities. Dude was special for a minute though & made losing Tim Dwight in the trade to draft Vick a lot easier to stomach. Too bad he didn’t last.