Jump to content

How the Falcons defense continues to get to the quarterback | Film Review


Tim Mazetti
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

People can say what they want, but Pees is coaching up this motley band of misfits and rookies.  They have to execute, but you can see that he's scheming to give them a chance.

That was my comment after Sunday's game: the problems on D are lack of talent and skill (particularly tackling skills), not scheme. I saw plenty of plays that would have either been TFLs or stops within 4 yards of the LOS if the first Falcon defender had not missed a tackle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JDaveG said:

People can say what they want, but Pees is coaching up this motley band of misfits and rookies.  They have to execute, but you can see that he's scheming to give them a chance.

Absolutely! He and Smith have done more with this ragtag group than I ever would have hoped for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JDaveG said:

People can say what they want, but Pees is coaching up this motley band of misfits and rookies.  They have to execute, but you can see that he's scheming to give them a chance.

I don't think this is totally true and I haven't seen much scheming. When it's third and long and you only rush three and play zone, I don't see that as scheming. And the opposing team always picks up the first down because the defenders are 10 yards away from every receiver. The Falcons defense ranks last or close to it in every defensive category except stopping the run and they are the worst or pretty much the worst team every Red Zone statistic. I don't see that as coaching up. This defense is much worse than last years despite some rookies playing. IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, myatlfalcons said:

I don't think this is totally true and I haven't seen much scheming. When it's third and long and you only rush three and play zone, I don't see that as scheming. And the opposing team always picks up the first down because the defenders are 10 yards away from every receiver. The Falcons defense ranks last or close to it in every defensive category except stopping the run and they are the worst or pretty much the worst team every Red Zone statistic. I don't see that as coaching up. This defense is much worse than last years despite some rookies playing. IMO.

You didn’t watch this video. That much is clear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, myatlfalcons said:

I don't think this is totally true and I haven't seen much scheming. When it's third and long and you only rush three and play zone, I don't see that as scheming. And the opposing team always picks up the first down because the defenders are 10 yards away from every receiver. The Falcons defense ranks last or close to it in every defensive category except stopping the run and they are the worst or pretty much the worst team every Red Zone statistic. I don't see that as coaching up. This defense is much worse than last years despite some rookies playing. IMO.

We are 23rd in red zone scoring %, 3% improvement over last year.  We averaged 27 points per game allowed last year, 24.9 this year.  We are 28th in defensive dvoa (24th rush, 28th pass), last year 30th (29th rush, 29th pass).  We are also averaging more turnovers forced per game.  We averaged 10.7 pressures per game last year, 12.9 this year.  We still aren’t good but roster is worse, it’s cheaper, had more injuries and still have improved over last year in most metrics, so not what you are looking at to say we are “much worse than last year”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rings said:

We are 23rd in red zone scoring %, 3% improvement over last year.  We averaged 27 points per game allowed last year, 24.9 this year.  We are 28th in defensive dvoa (24th rush, 28th pass), last year 30th (29th rush, 29th pass).  We are also averaging more turnovers forced per game.  We averaged 10.7 pressures per game last year, 12.9 this year.  We still aren’t good but roster is worse, it’s cheaper, had more injuries and still have improved over last year in most metrics, so not what you are looking at to say we are “much worse than last year”.

Awaiting the “aesthetically” response…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

No coincidence there were multiple sacks once AJT came back.

Ugh the defense was just pathetic without him. That stretch where AJ was out was really hard for me to watch. Team instantly got much much better when he came back.

Seeing how bad we are without him makes me think that we need to spend a first or a high second on another CB. The backend is very important in this defense.

But we will also have so much cap to work with year, I ain't gonna complain if we don't spend a first as long as we sign a premium player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Ugh the defense was just pathetic without him. That stretch where AJ was out was really hard for me to watch. Team instantly got much much better when he came back.

Seeing how bad we are without him makes me think that we need to spend a first or a high second on another CB. The backend is very important in this defense.

But we will also have so much cap to work with year, I ain't gonna complain if we don't spend a first as long as we sign a premium player.

Coverage sacks in combo with an additional edge will be nice, I think OL, DL/Edge (Multiple.) and DB in the draft/FA would be ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Ugh the defense was just pathetic without him. That stretch where AJ was out was really hard for me to watch. Team instantly got much much better when he came back.

Seeing how bad we are without him makes me think that we need to spend a first or a high second on another CB. The backend is very important in this defense.

But we will also have so much cap to work with year, I ain't gonna complain if we don't spend a first as long as we sign a premium player.

 

Yep, don't forget Heyward. Both he and AJT were key cogs in the defense.

 

Is Heyward out for the entire year? I can't even remember the injury he had.

Edited by DonGonnaFindTFOut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

 

Yep, don't forget Heyward. Both he and AJT were key cogs in the defense.

 

Is Heyward out for the entire year? I can't even remember the injury he had.

Yup, we addressed CB2 in a big way w Hayward, but injuries happen. This is actually the deepest this team has been at DB in a long time, just got decimated by injuries there.

i read a snippet on fox sports that Hayward travelled to the last two games and returned to practice, but that’s the first I have heard that.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/casey-hayward-player

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...