How the Falcons defense continues to get to the quarterback | Film Review

Tim Mazetti

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

People can say what they want, but Pees is coaching up this motley band of misfits and rookies.  They have to execute, but you can see that he's scheming to give them a chance.

That was my comment after Sunday's game: the problems on D are lack of talent and skill (particularly tackling skills), not scheme. I saw plenty of plays that would have either been TFLs or stops within 4 yards of the LOS if the first Falcon defender had not missed a tackle.

19 hours ago, JDaveG said:

People can say what they want, but Pees is coaching up this motley band of misfits and rookies.  They have to execute, but you can see that he's scheming to give them a chance.

Absolutely! He and Smith have done more with this ragtag group than I ever would have hoped for.

19 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I don't think this is totally true and I haven't seen much scheming. When it's third and long and you only rush three and play zone, I don't see that as scheming. And the opposing team always picks up the first down because the defenders are 10 yards away from every receiver. The Falcons defense ranks last or close to it in every defensive category except stopping the run and they are the worst or pretty much the worst team every Red Zone statistic. I don't see that as coaching up. This defense is much worse than last years despite some rookies playing. IMO.

36 minutes ago, myatlfalcons said:

I don't think this is totally true and I haven't seen much scheming. When it's third and long and you only rush three and play zone, I don't see that as scheming. And the opposing team always picks up the first down because the defenders are 10 yards away from every receiver. The Falcons defense ranks last or close to it in every defensive category except stopping the run and they are the worst or pretty much the worst team every Red Zone statistic. I don't see that as coaching up. This defense is much worse than last years despite some rookies playing. IMO.

You didn’t watch this video. That much is clear. 

3 hours ago, myatlfalcons said:

We are 23rd in red zone scoring %, 3% improvement over last year.  We averaged 27 points per game allowed last year, 24.9 this year.  We are 28th in defensive dvoa (24th rush, 28th pass), last year 30th (29th rush, 29th pass).  We are also averaging more turnovers forced per game.  We averaged 10.7 pressures per game last year, 12.9 this year.  We still aren’t good but roster is worse, it’s cheaper, had more injuries and still have improved over last year in most metrics, so not what you are looking at to say we are “much worse than last year”.

1 hour ago, Rings said:

We are 23rd in red zone scoring %, 3% improvement over last year.  We averaged 27 points per game allowed last year, 24.9 this year.  We are 28th in defensive dvoa (24th rush, 28th pass), last year 30th (29th rush, 29th pass).  We are also averaging more turnovers forced per game.  We averaged 10.7 pressures per game last year, 12.9 this year.  We still aren’t good but roster is worse, it’s cheaper, had more injuries and still have improved over last year in most metrics, so not what you are looking at to say we are “much worse than last year”.

Awaiting the “aesthetically” response…

5 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

No coincidence there were multiple sacks once AJT came back.

Ugh the defense was just pathetic without him. That stretch where AJ was out was really hard for me to watch. Team instantly got much much better when he came back.

Seeing how bad we are without him makes me think that we need to spend a first or a high second on another CB. The backend is very important in this defense.

But we will also have so much cap to work with year, I ain't gonna complain if we don't spend a first as long as we sign a premium player.

10 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Ugh the defense was just pathetic without him. That stretch where AJ was out was really hard for me to watch. Team instantly got much much better when he came back.

Seeing how bad we are without him makes me think that we need to spend a first or a high second on another CB. The backend is very important in this defense.

But we will also have so much cap to work with year, I ain't gonna complain if we don't spend a first as long as we sign a premium player.

Coverage sacks in combo with an additional edge will be nice, I think OL, DL/Edge (Multiple.) and DB in the draft/FA would be ideal.

49 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Yep, don't forget Heyward. Both he and AJT were key cogs in the defense.

Is Heyward out for the entire year? I can't even remember the injury he had.

Edited by DonGonnaFindTFOut

9 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Yep, don't forget Heyward. Both he and AJT were key cogs in the defense.

Is Heyward out for the entire year? I can't even remember the injury he had.

Yup, we addressed CB2 in a big way w Hayward, but injuries happen. This is actually the deepest this team has been at DB in a long time, just got decimated by injuries there.

i read a snippet on fox sports that Hayward travelled to the last two games and returned to practice, but that’s the first I have heard that.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/casey-hayward-player