Fields not drafted by Falcons appreciation thread

DonDaLuvMaker

11 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Crazy thing is Fields reminds me of Cam Newton.

Both Fields and Newton had bad mechanics and were used as RBs with speed and power. Lamar Jackson to me is a better clone of Vick with better studying habits.

Lamar Jackson's 2nd season he became NFL MVP.

Cam threw for 400 yards his first career start. He was better passer than that. He just regressed horribly cause of his mechanics. Cam almost never set his feet to throw. He used all shoulder and now he has shoulder issues. Lamar rookie year he struggled throwing the ball. The Chargers basically made him throw the ball to beat them in that playoff game and he didn’t. Fields can definitely become the passer that Lamar is. 

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

I am not putting words in your mouth, I literally just quoted you and highlighted in bold things you have said within the last hour.      It turned into Marriott is better than Matt because that’s how most people read your previous message.  I tried to make peace and explain where the misunderstanding came from, you apparently are deciding to completely ignore that part of it and want to accuse me of wronging you instead.  

Have a good night man.  Enjoy the win.

I never ignored anything. I Never stated Mariotta was better but that the offense looked better from what I saw. And I tried to make peace as well by stating that It was never about Mariotta being better, That would be malpractice on my part. Sorry for the misunderstanding you have a good night as well👍

Edited by FalconsFan36

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Cam threw for 400 yards his first career start. He was better passer than that. He just regressed horribly cause if his foot mechanics. Cam almost never set his feet to throw. Lamar rookie year he struggled throwing the ball. The Chargers basically made him throw the ball to beat them in that playoff game and he didn’t. Fields can definitely become the passer that Lamar is. 

I meant as in mold and style of play. Fields reminds me more of Newton. Both are pretty big QBs with Newton being a bit bigger.

Fields is running way more than Newton has. So it brings into question will he ever get a chance to grow as a QB before his body breaks down?

1 hour ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

I meant as in mold and style of play. Fields reminds me more of Newton. Both are pretty big QBs with Newton being a bit bigger.

Fields is running way more than Newton has. So it brings into question will he ever get a chance to grow as a QB before his body breaks down?

I gotcha. Now on Fields that’s a great question. Chicago was the absolute worst place for him to go imo. Hopefully for his sake they can accelerate the process of his development before he gets injured 

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Fields stats for the Falcons game:

14/21 - 153yds,  1 TD, 1 Int(at games end), sacked 4 times by the AWESOME falcons passrush - 84.0 QB rating

18 rushes, 85 yards

terrible OLine (again, Falcons had 4 sacks)

Weapons:   David Montgomery(RB), Mooney(top WR), What's an Equanimeous?(WR) and Cole Kmet

Fields is doing it all w/o talent around him - they have $100mm in cap room next year - he is playing well the last several games, played well in this game as well.    However don't let facts get in the way of a post.

not too shabby for a guy who couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm in college

:ninja:

:lol:

19 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I gotcha. Now on Fields that’s a great question. Chicago was the absolute worst place for him to go imo. Hopefully for his sake they can accelerate the process of his development before he gets injured 

Yeah, even today Fields was tired and beat up. That doesn't go well for his future at all if they keep using him this way. They have to evolve his game.

31 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Yeah, even today Fields was tired and beat up. That doesn't go well for his future at all if they keep using him this way. They have to evolve his game.

Just to be clear, it's not they. It's he. They're calling passing plays rather than asking him to run so often. He's specifically choosing not to do it.

24 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Yeah, true.

But they have to break him of those bad habits. Fields has to want to though.

Exactly. That's the schism right now. And it's going terribly for Chicago because he's sometimes getting positive outcomes from terrible behaviors.

The situation is like a 10-year-old kid smoking and drinking and then having Taylor Swift fist bump them for it. You're gonna want to do the wrong thing more, not less.

Fields has pulled off half a dozen big runs this season on plays where an easy throw was available. So, he gets the positive reinforcement that he doesn't need to throw...even though he does and he should.

I genuinely feel bad for Chicago's coaching staff. The whole thing must be maddening. Imagine the film sessions. "Why didn't you throw to the open receiver?" "Coach, I got eight yards on that play!" "But the guy was open 16 yards downfield..." "Coach, I gotta be me!"

3 hours ago, FalconsFan36 said:

I never ignored anything. I Never stated Mariotta was better but that the offense looked better from what I saw. And I tried to make peace as well by stating that It was never about Mariotta being better, That would be malpractice on my part. Sorry for the misunderstanding you have a good night as well👍

Bro maybe go take a breather and come back in and read your first post because you clearly don't know what you said anymore. You literally said we have a QB who looks way better than Ryan did last year. No mention of the team outside those two.

3 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

One thing I can agree on, is that Fields is very similar to Cam Newton. 

Cam Newton only had 3 winning seasons his whole career, 2013, 2015, and 2017. (got lucky in 2014 with a losing record thanks to a historically weak division). 

But I do have to tell the truth here, Cam Newton, had a MVP season in 2015, led the Panthers to 15-1 and a trip to the Super Bowl which resulted in a loss thanks to the Broncos stop stingy defense. 

That's more than what Marcus Mariota could ever come close to doing his whole career. 

So what will Fields future look like? Guess we'll have to find out. 

10 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

One thing I can agree on, is that Fields is very similar to Cam Newton. 

Cam Newton only had 3 winning seasons his whole career, 2013, 2015, and 2017. (got lucky in 2014 with a losing record thanks to a historically weak division). 

But I do have to tell the truth here, Cam Newton, had a MVP season in 2015, led the Panthers to 15-1 and a trip to the Super Bowl which resulted in a loss thanks to the Broncos stop stingy defense. 

That's more than what Marcus Mariota could ever come close to doing his whole career. 

So what will Fields future look like? Guess we'll have to find out. 

Yeah, but after what we know about Newton was that his 2015 was great but he has never been close to that good before or after that season. It was more of an anomaly because reverted back to normal Newton afterwards lol

Panthers also had a great defense. Fields would have to have a lot go well for him and become a better passer for him to have a season like Cam Newton did in 2015.

1 hour ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Yeah, but after what we know about Newton was that his 2015 was great but he has never been close to that good before or after that season. It was more of an anomaly because reverted back to normal Newton afterwards lol

Panthers also had a great defense. Fields would have to have a lot go well for him and become a better passer for him to have a season like Cam Newton did in 2015.

Although the Panthers didn't win the Super Bowl (thankfully), the vast majority of Super Bowl winning teams need a top scoring defense. There are few exceptions, but just think of the only time Aaron Rodgers won a Super Bowl, that Packers team had a top 5 scoring defense if I'm not mistaken. The only time Russell Wilson won a Super Bowl, Seahawks had the best statistical defense in many categories since the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears. The vast majority of Brady's Super Bowl wins, those Patriots defenses were always top in the NFL. The Falcons defense on the other hand, we know good & well they haven't had a defense close to being really good in decades approaching now it feels like. So great defense travels anyway. If the quarterback play is good enough along with the great defense, then it'll get them there. Of course, there's been many NFL teams with top scoring defenses but the quarterback play is so so awful they still have a mediocre season or don't get any further than the wildcard or divisional round. 

Edited by mqg96

8 hours ago, jidady said:

Exactly. That's the schism right now. And it's going terribly for Chicago because he's sometimes getting positive outcomes from terrible behaviors.

The situation is like a 10-year-old kid smoking and drinking and then having Taylor Swift fist bump them for it. You're gonna want to do the wrong thing more, not less.

Fields has pulled off half a dozen big runs this season on plays where an easy throw was available. So, he gets the positive reinforcement that he doesn't need to throw...even though he does and he should.

I genuinely feel bad for Chicago's coaching staff. The whole thing must be maddening. Imagine the film sessions. "Why didn't you throw to the open receiver?" "Coach, I got eight yards on that play!" "But the guy was open 16 yards downfield..." "Coach, I gotta be me!"

Sandlot mentality.   Hard to break that.