Fields not drafted by Falcons appreciation thread

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

he needs REAL NFL TALENT around him.  He is a good passer but he is under siege every time he drops back - more protection will lead to better decisions and more completions.   Once he gets that, he can develop more traditionally - right now, it's survival for him and he is making the most of his situation.

Fields is making bad decisions regardless.

Threw a couple of low passes that were either batted by defenders or hit his own offensive linemen.

He's also not that accurate.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

this is FIELDS 2nd season in the NFL - he has been on the worst offensive talent team in the NFL in those two seasons.   He is producing at a good level now in spite of the team deficiencies.   Why is there such a strong desire to label him some kind of a BUST after about 15 starts?  What's the rush?     People on  this board are actually MAD at Fields success the last month because it invalidates all the trash talk they have been spewing for 3+ years.      Let it breathe.

For two reasons: There were people on here that badly wanted him drafted to be Matt's Heir apparent and two because we passed on him for Pitts leaving many fans angry. I'm glad we have Pitts here and although Fields hasn't been impressive neither have any of the other QBs he was drafted with.

Just now, jidady said:

I used that play as an example of why he's terrible. He had an open receiver at the three yard line on a TD play. He turned that into 15 seconds of chaos with a messy first down. That play (temporarily) cost his team four points because he desperately wants to run, not go through his reads.

The guy he ended up throwing it to was open for a while.

Just now, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Fields is making bad decisions regardless.

Threw a couple of low passes that were either batted by defenders or hit his own offensive linemen.

He's also not that accurate.

On top of everything else, his fundamentals are terrible. Watch the throwing mechanics on that interception. None of his body is where it's supposed to be so the throw sails.

Just now, Rings said:

Mobility?  Yes.  Actually playing the QB position?  No.  Not remotely close.

Actually.  Mariota’s longest rush this year was only 30 yards.  Ryan had a 39 yard run last week.  Maybe we just misused Ryan all this time after all….

Wow Ryan had a 39 yard run against a pathetic Raider team 🎉🤣🤣. And as far as I've seen the offense has flowed much better with Mariotta despite his shortcomings .

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

The guy he ended up throwing it to was open for a while.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Any half-decent quarterback completes that pass for either a TD or a goal line tackle. It's like when Fields missed that end zone throw on the Thursday Night Football game. These are "100 out of 100" plays he can't convert.

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

You can read the bold, correct? Was there a “last year”? Or did you go and say “what I meant was” later after being called out on it? 

No I meant what I said which was the offense has looked much better this year versus the crap show we saw on the field last year.

3 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Mobile qbs tend to run themselves into some sacks but they more than make up for it with the rushing yards and backyard throws. 

That throw to Montgomery and the crazy backyard play where we missed about 5 sacks were plays only a mobile qb can make. 

Fields decision making and progressions have a lot of work to do but he was good enough to win today. Bears defense stinks just as much as ours.

I 100% get that.  But being a mobile QB doesn’t make you good.  You still have to be able to do all the other things a pocket QB does well for it to matter.  Mahomes is great because of his throwing ability.  He would still be a really good QB if he wasn’t athletic.  Josh Allen is a great thrower, he just happens to be able to run.  Again, would still be a good QB if you took away his running ability.  They are both elite because they have both.  The goal would be to have both.  But if you can only have one, give me someone who can pass the football consistently than someone who can run around and make a couple exciting plays a game but then crumble when you have to rely on your arm.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

this is FIELDS 2nd season in the NFL - he has been on the worst offensive talent team in the NFL in those two seasons.   He is producing at a good level now in spite of the team deficiencies.   Why is there such a strong desire to label him some kind of a BUST after about 15 starts?  What's the rush?     People on  this board are actually MAD at Fields success the last month because it invalidates all the trash talk they have been spewing for 3+ years.      Let it breathe.

Most of Fields production over the past few games came from him as a runner.

He ran himself tired today. His play isn't sustainable.

His play also isn't winning games even against bad teams.

Just now, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Why is he running?

Because his offensive line cannot pass protect and his receivers cannot get open.

The Falcons passrush is absolute TRASH -and you and everyone on this board knows it - yet we had 4 sacks today - that's not a coincidence.   Bears passblocking is worse than Falcons passrush - that's not easy to do - but Bears OLine pulls it off.

1 minute ago, jidady said:

I used that play as an example of why he's terrible. He had an open receiver at the three yard line on a TD play. He turned that into 15 seconds of chaos with a messy first down. That play (temporarily) cost his team four points because he desperately wants to run, not go through his reads.

He did the same crap against Miami a few weeks ago, there were more than a few plays where he just needed to zip it into the end zone to come home with a W but he would rather do the razzle dazzle BS and lose 🤷‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, FalconsFan36 said:

Wow Ryan had a 39 yard run against a pathetic Raider team 🎉🤣🤣. And as far as I've seen the offense has flowed much better with Mariotta despite his shortcomings .

This isn’t the same offense we ran last year.  I feel like I shouldn’t have to explain this but I will.  Double the play action rate, double the presnap motion, running the ball more often, run scheme is much more creative with the personnel we are using.  All of that could have been done with Ryan here as we did that under Shanahan when Ryan was MVP.  Ryan using RPOs wouldn’t work but they don’t work well with Mariota either cause no one fears his passing ability.  The offense is better because our run game is better.  You are confusing correlation and causation.  Just cause the offense is better this year vs year does not mean that is because of the change at QB.  In fact that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Why is he running?

Because his offensive line cannot pass protect and his receivers cannot get open.

The Falcons passrush is absolute TRASH -and you and everyone on this board knows it - yet we had 4 sacks today - that's not a coincidence.   Bears passblocking is worse than Falcons passrush - that's not easy to do - but Bears OLine pulls it off.

Even on plays where he has time he still doesn't pull the trigger.

Seen it many times when he played this season.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Why is he running?

Fields has the most sacks assigned to him this year.  He holds the ball forever, just like he did in college when he had future first round picks at receiver.  This isn’t going to magically get fixed when they invest in the offense.  It may improve some, but he is actively making his line look worse by holding the ball so long.

3 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

He did the same crap against Miami a few weeks ago, there were more than a few plays where he just needed to zip it into the end zone to come home with a W but he would rather do the razzle dazzle BS and lose 🤷‍♂️ 

It's not even about razzle dazzle. He's just got the yips and doesn't want to pass.

I knew this thread was coming lmao. Doesn't change my opinion on how I feel about Fields or Mariota.  The Bears offensive line is one of the worst in the league first of all, and second, the play of the game was Cordarrelle Patterson's kickoff return, which redeemed himself from his fumble early in the game. The Falcons did what has given them the best chance to win all year with their run heavy offense. Good.  

Also, another big factor, if you look at the majority of the Falcons wins this year, we've needed a non-offensive TD as part of our final score. We needed non-offensive TD's in our previous 3 wins against the 49ers, Panthers, & Bears. 

But anyways, this is a Fields thread. The Falcons defense stepped it up in the 2nd half, and glad they did. Field's biggest issue has been his inability to be clutch the end of 4th quarters, but other than that, the future is still very bright for him, and his talent shows. He's broken NFL records the past 5 games or so for the Bears. Bears will be fine if they have better talent around them plus a better coach. 

4 minutes ago, Rings said:

This isn’t the same offense we ran last year.  I feel like I shouldn’t have to explain this but I will.  Double the play action rate, double the presnap motion, running the ball more often, run scheme is much more creative with the personnel we are using.  All of that could have been done with Ryan here as we did that under Shanahan when Ryan was MVP.  Ryan using RPOs wouldn’t work but they don’t work well with Mariota either cause no one fears his passing ability.  The offense is better because our run game is better.  You are confusing correlation and causation.  Just cause the offense is better this year vs year does not mean that is because of the change at QB.  In fact that couldn’t be further from the truth.

I'm not confusing anything at all😆. And actually, no it couldn't have been done with Ryan because running was never his strong suit. He's only running because that's all he can do behind Indys so called great Online. You are literally basing all of this on one run against the raiders of all teams too🙄😑.  Meanwhile everyone with football knowledge knows that a run first QB Is not ideal to win a SB but posters like u keep reiterating the crap like we don't already know that.

7 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Yep, Fields got hurt. I've been starting Fields on fantasy the past several weeks, and I'm sure he's just totally gassed out at this point. He's a better passer away but he's not there yet.