Fields not drafted by Falcons appreciation thread

15 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Pitts has barely over 300 yards. Wasted. draft. pick.

I realize the point you want to make here, but it collapses upon even a second of scrutiny. For his career, Pitts has 1,382 receiving yards. During his first two years, Tony Gonzalez had 989...

But we were talking about Justin Fields, not Kyle Pitts. You moved the goal posts since that conversation's reality was unmistakable. Chicago drafted a QB who can't pass. We're a 23-game sample size into his career, and he's averaging 152 yards a game. Most people don't pay enough attention to Chicago to appreciate just how comically inept he's been.

Even if we include his rushing yardage to his total offense, he's getting an incomprehensibly bad 207 yards per game. Mariota, whom virtually nobody here believes is an upper half NFL QB, was at 253 yards per game after two seasons. Fields is only netting 82% of that! It's not even *close* as an argument that the dude can't pass in the NFL. Even the most generous supporters are left with "but he could learn..." He could, but there's little sign thus far that he will.

8 hours ago, jidady said:

I realize the point you want to make here, but it collapses upon even a second of scrutiny. For his career, Pitts has 1,382 receiving yards. During his first two years, Tony Gonzalez had 989...

But we were talking about Justin Fields, not Kyle Pitts. You moved the goal posts since that conversation's reality was unmistakable. Chicago drafted a QB who can't pass. We're a 23-game sample size into his career, and he's averaging 152 yards a game. Most people don't pay enough attention to Chicago to appreciate just how comically inept he's been.

Even if we include his rushing yardage to his total offense, he's getting an incomprehensibly bad 207 yards per game. Mariota, whom virtually nobody here believes is an upper half NFL QB, was at 253 yards per game after two seasons. Fields is only netting 82% of that! It's not even *close* as an argument that the dude can't pass in the NFL. Even the most generous supporters are left with "but he could learn..." He could, but there's little sign thus far that he will.

Maybe he can learn to be a competent passer, but the odds are much better he ends up like RGIII than Josh Allen.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, PriMeTiiMe said:

Funny how you just discredit the rushing aspect and erase half of What I said and only want to cherry pick what works for your argument. Last I checked yards and tds count the same does not matter how they come. Last I checked they are one of the highest scoring offenses over the last 5-6 games. Weird how everyone knows "he can't pass" yet they keep scoring. 

Let's not blame the defense for being one of the worst in the league. Nah that's Fields fault too. When Fields is putting up close to 30 or more every week somehow it's HIS fault the defense can't stop a nosebleed and are losing.

You talking about fields….or Mariota? 

🤓

37 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Maybe he can learn to be a competent passer, but the odds are much better he ends up like RGIII than Josh Allen.

I’d lean more towards Allen. RG3 made his presence known pretty much immediately in the NFL (rookie of the year). He also WON the heisman. His first start, he lit up the Stains WITH HIS ARM as well as his legs. His rookie season, he won player of the week multiple times. Think he even finished a game or two with a PERFECT passing rating in his rookie year. 
I don’t think they belong in the same conversation honestly.

6 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

I’d lean more towards Allen. RG3 made his presence known pretty much immediately in the NFL (rookie of the year). He also WON the heisman. His first start, he lit up the Stains WITH HIS ARM as well as his legs. His rookie season, he won player of the week multiple times. Think he even finished a game or two with a PERFECT passing rating in his rookie year. 
I don’t think they belong in the same conversation honestly.

When I said RGIII  and Allen , I was referring to RGIII being injured because of his style of play and never developing into a top flight QB, as opposed to Allen who became a much better passer once he got to the NFL.

I see nothing in Fields game that says he's making progress as a passer.

Looks to me like he's going to be another one of the many QBs  that rely on athletic talent to have a successful college career and then get to the NFL and never develop their game.
If I'm wrong and he develops into a really good passer in the NFL, oh well, i was wrong. Been wrong before, will be wrong again.

But there's no evidence Fields is getting better as a passer that I can see.

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

When I said RGIII  and Allen , I was referring to RGIII being injured because of his style of play and never developing into a top flight QB, as opposed to Allen who became a much better passer once he got to the NFL.

I see nothing in Fields game that says he's making progress as a passer.

Looks to me like he's going to be another one of the many QBs  that rely on athletic talent to have a successful college career and then get to the NFL and never develop their game.
If I'm wrong and he develops into a really good passer in the NFL, oh well, i was wrong. Been wrong before, will be wrong again.

But there's no evidence Fields is getting better as a passer that I can see.

RG3 was much further along. I agree that injuries halted his career, but as far as development, he came into the league a better passer than I believe JF could ever become. 

This is a curious situation.  I have wondered what the QB@4 crowd was excited about.  BTW, where are they now?  I can look in my ignore list and see names that don't come around anymore.  Why were they here?  Where did they go?  What was their vested interest?

It has occurred to me that some of what the excitement was about was generated by statistics.  These QBs were successful in college.  While it is too soon to slam the door an any of them, it does appear that at least half of these draftees may not have NFL level skills.  And, I think Justin Fields is the poster boy for very good college QBs that do not have the complete skill set to succeed in the NFL.  The problem becomes that in college, a good running QB may face 1 or 2 defenders in any game good enough to get to the NFL.  Once they get to the NFL, things change a lot.

The QBs selected in the 2021 draft were;

Also, there was a disgraceful amount of hype.  The first 5 names on that list were going to be the level of franchise QBs that only come around once in ever 20 years.  And, you may only have one of them.  The year 2020 had 5.  I put little value on statistics or anything the media has to say.  And, remember, colleges don't survive unless they have alumni funds.  If a college team has a good player, the coaches will talk that up as much as they can get away with.  I learned long ago that College Presidents are salesmen with an educational background.  Once in the Presidents office, it is sell, sell, sell.

The quality of QBs in the 2020 draft may have contributed.  Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Tua Tagovailoa, and Joe Burrow probably all have staying power in the NFL.  2020 was much better with QBs than 2021.  Does anyone remember when 2021 had the richness of QB talent seen only once in a lifetime?

3 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

This is a curious situation.  I have wondered what the QB@4 crowd was excited about.  BTW, where are they now?  I can look in my ignore list and see names that don't come around anymore.  Why were they here?  Where did they go?  What was their vested interest?

It has occurred to me that some of what the excitement was about was generated by statistics.  These QBs were successful in college.  While it is too soon to slam the door an any of them, it does appear that at least half of these draftees may not have NFL level skills.  And, I think Justin Fields is the poster boy for very good college QBs that do not have the complete skill set to succeed in the NFL.  The problem becomes that in college, a good running QB may face 1 or 2 defenders in any game good enough to get to the NFL.  Once they get to the NFL, things change a lot.

The QBs selected in the 2021 draft were;

Also, there was a disgraceful amount of hype.  The first 5 names on that list were going to be the level of franchise QBs that only come around once in ever 20 years.  And, you may only have one of them.  The year 2020 had 5.  I put little value on statistics or anything the media has to say.  And, remember, colleges don't survive unless they have alumni funds.  If a college team has a good player, the coaches will talk that up as much as they can get away with.  I learned long ago that College Presidents are salesmen with an educational background.  Once in the Presidents office, it is sell, sell, sell.

The quality of QBs in the 2020 draft may have contributed.  Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Tua Tagovailoa, and Joe Burrow probably all have staying power in the NFL.  2020 was much better with QBs than 2021.  Does anyone remember when 2021 had the richness of QB talent seen only once in a lifetime?

I was worried we were gonna gamble away that pick on Trey Lance. Thank god SF jumped ahead of us. 

I see the NFL site reports that Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence are doing quite well.  I need to remind myself that I live in a parallel universe and can never be sure where my observations apply.  My apologies for suggesting that Fields and Lawrence are not elite NFL QBs.

Slipping back into that other dimension now.

15 hours ago, jidady said:

3 tds in 2 seasons. Wasted draft pick. It's easy to pick any stat you want to make your argument look good. You have your opinion on Fields and have already ignored the stats and reasons I presented for why Fields has some of the struggles he does so I will do the same with Pitts to show how dumb this can be.

20 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

3 tds in 2 seasons. Wasted draft pick. It's easy to pick any stat you want to make your argument look good. You have your opinion on Fields and have already ignored the stats and reasons I presented for why Fields has some of the struggles he does so I will do the same with Pitts to show how dumb this can be.

It’s all dumb and way premature to be arguing arbitrary stats back and forth on any player’s second season after being drafted. 

On 11/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, FalconsFan36 said:

We have a Mobile QB who looks far better than what we got out of Matt. And don't forget how Fields is literally on his second HC learning a new system in his second year.

It takes a special kind of person to somehow segue a thread about being happy we don't have Fields on the team (since he is essentially Mariota with even less passing ability) into one about Matt Ryan. 

And it takes a REALLY special person to think Mariota looks better than Matt ever did. Wake me up when Mariota makes a Pro Bowl or breaks a record, much less takes a team to a SB, posts a record-setting SB performance, and wins a MVP.

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

It takes a special kind of person to somehow segue a thread about being happy we don't have Fields on the team (since he is essentially Mariota with even less passing ability) into one about Matt Ryan. 

And it takes a REALLY special person to think Mariota looks better than Matt ever did. Wake me up when Mariota makes a Pro Bowl or breaks a record, much less takes a team to a SB, posts a record-setting SB performance, and wins a MVP.

Sheer insanity. Delusional. 

10 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

3 tds in 2 seasons. Wasted draft pick.

It's easy to pick any stat you want to make your argument look good.

1) Remember that Tony Gonzalez thing? Yeah, he only had four TDs during his first two seasons...

Pro tip: You should drop that part of your argument.

2) Oh, it's very easy to pick a QB stat here since they're supposed to pass the ball. When a dude only manages 152 yards a game, it's hard NOT to notice.

24 minutes ago, jidady said:

1) Remember that Tony Gonzalez thing? Yeah, he only had four TDs during his first two seasons...

Pro tip: You should drop that part of your argument.

2) Oh, it's very easy to pick a QB stat here since they're supposed to pass the ball. When a dude only manages 152 yards a game, it's hard NOT to notice.

Pro-Tip: You can compare any player at any position to a great, that does not prove your point. I guess you didn't get the memo how easy this is.

But let me understand your goalposts moving again. When Pitts sucks - We just compare him to legends and pretend that will be Pitts future because Player X did something similar. When JF sucks - We just say he sucks /end of discussion. Righttttttt

56.3%, 173 YPG (passing since according to you thats all that matters), 18 TDs, 15 INTs. John Elway Year 2. Year 1 was even more horrific. Man what a terrible QB he must have been. 56%!!!! Only 173 YPG?!! Barely more TDs than INTs??! Let me hear you say how Elways numbers are barely better after you literally just did the same thing with Gonzalez. Go ahead, give me a good laugh.

I wonder how Mr. Elway turned out. Oh wait that's right. My apologies, I forgot Justin Fields is Justin Fields and has no chance to develop. Only Kyle Pitts can develop. 

Waste. Of. Draft. Pick

11 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

1) Pro-Tip: You can compare any player at any position to a great, that does not prove your point. I guess you didn't get the memo how easy this is.

2) Waste. Of. Draft. Pick

1) Maybe because you failed so completely in your attempt?

2) Yes, Justin Fields was. I’m glad we could bring it full circle!

3 hours ago, jidady said:

1) Maybe because you failed so completely in your attempt?

2) Yes, Justin Fields was. I’m glad we could bring it full circle!

What a witty response. When you realize how easy it is to do the same thing you do you delete the whole post and repeat your same garbage. Done wasting my time with a clown.

19 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Well first off thanks for the Super late reply in to defend Ryan🙄😑. Also thanks for downvoting my POSITIVE post about Fields so take one back😏. I can say whatever I like on this forum seeing as it's a public one and any take on here should be considered regardless of how  U feel. Last I checked that Superbowl was six football seasons ago and since then we were crap not counting the following season. I reiterated how I felt about this years offense vs last and yes I REALLY feel that way and that much won't change. I was simply defending a 23 year old kid who's only in his second season and is getting crapped on when not only did he perform well but his team only lost by a field goal.

Edited by FalconsFan36