Fields not drafted by Falcons appreciation thread

DonDaLuvMaker

9 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

That's just American culture in general. We are an individualistic society--one that's driven by individual freedom, achievement, and competition. It has its pros and cons, but one of the ugly side-effects of it is this need to promote oneself or crown someone else over others. It may as a result have produced outstanding individual players and efforts, but it also tends to produce a toxic dog-eat-dog culture (like we all know about the parent(s) who are yelling at their kids coaches).

Don't listen to his bull**** lol

He says that but always glorifies Justin Fields, who hasn't done **** yet. Calls him a great QB when his play speaks otherwise.

That goes against what he's saying now. He's contradicting himself.

3 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

He says that but always glorifies Justin Fields, who hasn't done **** yet. Calls him a great QB when his play speaks otherwise.

There's a reason questions haven't been answered.

justin long film GIF

2 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Well yeah you got a point lol

But I do agree with the last thing he said, even if he himself is guilty of feeding into it.

4 minutes ago, midas_whale said:

He looked formidable in preseason and it would be great if he does so as a reg season starter.  But it is at least as likely that he will be similar to or worse than Fields.

Hard to directly compare apples and oranges. While  they are both fruits, they are completely different. While they are both QBs, they are also completely different . 

28 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Hard to directly compare apples and oranges. While  they are both fruits, they are completely different. While they are both QBs, they are also completely different . 

Gazoo I admit they are hard to compare because there is an unequal amount of data on the two, but I think you can compare them accurately on a few factors.

Both led their college teams to the playoffs.

Both rely more heavily on their legs than traditional QBs.

Neither is an NFL-caliber passer (Ridder might be one day but he's not now - not starting and they're reworking his footwork/mechanics).

But Fields was drafted much higher, played in a stronger NCAAF conference.

Believing that Ridder is possibly no better or even worse than Fields is not an unreasonable position. 

Highly unpopular no doubt, but I've seen much weaker takes on this Board on various issues.

EDIT - Removed one Fields accomplishment because I think he's playing due to the starter being injured.

Edited by midas_whale

1 hour ago, midas_whale said:

Gazoo I admit they are hard to compare because there is an unequal amount of data on the two, but I think you can compare them accurately on a few factors.

Neither is an NFL-caliber passer (Ridder might be one day but he's not now - not starting and they're reworking his footwork/mechanics).

Believing that Ridder is possibly no better or even worse than Fields is not an unreasonable position. 

Highly unpopular no doubt, but I've seen much weaker takes on this Board on various issues.

EDIT - Removed one Fields accomplishment because I think he's playing due to the starter being injured.

All valid points brother midas

I think one of the more understated/unspoken differences is their intelligence, particularly their football IQ. Ridder is highly intelligent and processes things much faster, and I’ll just leave it at that to avoid triggering the brittle.

1 hour ago, midas_whale said:

high quality GIF

19 hours ago, gazoo said:

All valid points brother midas

I think one of the more understated/unspoken differences is their intelligence, particularly their football IQ. Ridder is highly intelligent and processes things much faster, and I’ll just leave it at that to avoid triggering the brittle.

Gets a lot of weight for sure.  The more complex any job is, the more weight it gets, and obviously QB is one of the most complicated on the field.

On 11/21/2022 at 9:53 PM, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Hate to hear that. That's why I'm  not a fan of Fields playing the way that he does. He needs to become a better and more consistent passer.

The Bears did him no favors last offseason with perhaps the worst team building in the league. Bringing in Matt Nagy for Fields' second season might prompt a change in direction for who they want under center. Unfortunately, if Nagy decides he wants someone else (like Cliff Kingsbury did), Fields' injury might give him an argument for making a change.

Fields' situation is exactly why I wanted to build the team before bringing in a QB. It makes no sense to have a QB who can't develop for lack of talent around him. Heck, even if we'd gotten Watson, we'd have a depleted roster with no first or second round picks for the next 2 or 3 years. Add his $50 million salary, and we'd be the textbook example of a mediocre franchise for half a decade. At least now, we have a chance to be sustainably good within the next couple of years.

36 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I know this is a Fields thread, but I am thankful that the Falcons did not somehow end up with Zach Wilson. Baby Mahomes and Rodgers just got benched and will probably be a future Carolina panther. 

Can you imagine being such a knob that your locker room implodes in spite of your winning record and your team being in the thick of the playoff race?

19 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Can you imagine being such a knob that your locker room implodes in spite of your winning record and your team being in the thick of the playoff race?

Baker Mayfield (entitled white boy) effect. 

(no its not racist as I am a poor white boy and entitled to make fun of entitled white boys)