Stetson Bennett

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

When going from college, especially with QBs, metrics generally predict results.

Who is the last 5'11" 190 pound QB to do anything worth noting in the NFL?  Even short-*** Kyler Murray is 20 pounds heavier than that.  Mike Vick was too, and a full inch taller.  And even eliminating weight (which is still a solid metric), the number of QBs who have succeeded in the NFL at less than about 6'2" is a short list.  But when you add in the weight, the dude just isn't going to be able to play at this level.

Great college QB.  But it won't translate.  And we have Ridder who is easily as good a college QB and has all the measurables, and he's on the roster now for cheap.  If we're taking a late round flyer, give me a guy with off the charts athleticism who needs to be developed, or a guy with solid measurables and a lesser arm, less speed, whatever.  At least the guy with the measurables has a chance to be a good passer at the next level.  And for a backup, that's exactly what you're looking for.  A guy who can't see the passing lanes and also lacks elite QB ability at the college level doesn't have a chance, honestly.  Most who do have elite ability but lack size don't stand a chance.

Russell Wilson went to a couple of Super Bowls at 5'11, Drew Brees was only 6'0, so the 5'11 arguement doesnt hold water. 

56 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Russell Wilson went to a couple of Super Bowls at 5'11, Drew Brees was only 6'0, so the 5'11 arguement doesnt hold water. 

Wilson weighs 215 pounds. Brees is 210 or so. 

Try again. 

6 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

? So by your logic Bryce Young shouldn’t be drafted at all as he is 10-15 lbs lighter and at least an inch shorter than Stetson right?  Can’t have it both ways clown.

Since I’m a clown I guess I should put you on ignore. No need to even try to have a reasonable conversation with a troll. 

But Bryce is listed at 6’0 and 5 pounds heavier than Bennett, so you can’t even troll correctly. 

8 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

? So by your logic Bryce Young shouldn’t be drafted at all as he is 10-15 lbs lighter and at least an inch shorter than Stetson right?  Can’t have it both ways clown.

Wilson, Brees and Young are (or were) all bigger and better athletes than Bennett.

No, Young isn't much bigger, and one of the concerns for Young is that he won't be able to take the punishment of the NFL.  Think there's a good chance that Young goes to a bad team, gets completely beat up in his first few years, never amounts to much.

Bennett could put on another 10-15 pounds, personally, still wouldn't draft him. 

You're also ignoring his age, he's 25, he'd be 26 before his first season in the NFL.  Lots of college QBs can't make the transition to the pros. Bennett is probably one of those.

Maybe he becomes a really good NFL QB, but, if I was running an NFL team, he'd have to do it for another team, cause I'm not signing him.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Wilson, Brees and Young are (or were) all bigger and better athletes than Bennett.

No, Young isn't much bigger, and one of the concerns for Young is that he won't be able to take the punishment of the NFL.  Think there's a good chance that Young goes to a bad team, gets completely beat up in his first few years, never amounts to much.

Bennett could put on another 10-15 pounds, personally, still wouldn't draft him. 

You're also ignoring his age, he's 25, he'd be 26 before his first season in the NFL.  Lots of college QBs can't make the transition to the pros. Bennett is probably one of those.

Maybe he becomes a really good NFL QB, but, if I was running an NFL team, he'd have to do it for another team, cause I'm not signing him.

Young is not bigger than Bennett and he is also shorter than Bennett as well.  We have seen enough pictures side by side that shows young is at least an inch shorter than bennett.  Regarding being a better athlete I disagree with you on that.  Brees was not a better athlete and I saw him his entire career when he was at purdue.  Wilson is one of the best athletes that has played the position, but Bennett is a great athlete in his own right.  Bennett is right up there with Young when it comes to being an athlete.. I posted plenty of videos of his runs and what he does to defenders is just nasty.  As they say on thinking out loud when bennett gets out of the pocket good luck with that.   His age is indeed a knock against him.  NFL guys don't like older players when they come out of college, but I still think he gets drafted in the last 2nd or early 3rd day of the draft.  Let's be honest nfl scouts and gms try to pretend they are the smartest people in the room, but many times they aren't.  We have salyer and shaffer as a big example.  Anyone who thought shaffer was a better nfl player is crazy.  If you turn on the video you see salyer shutdown 2 of the best pass rushers in the nation head to head, but let's ignore that.  Salyer has shown he is one of the most promising offensive linemen this year in the NFL.  I am not advocating for the Falcons to draft Stetson, but I think a team will take a flier on a national champion who has proven he can win on the highest level. 

As a huge UGA fan, Stetson isn't NFL material. At best, and even this is a stretch, he's a clipboard holder that could use his legs and athleticism to bread down a defense enough to put up a few points in a pinch.

What Stetson brings, and doesn't, to UGA: 

- He can extend plays with his athleticism. 

- His age and experience allow him to run the offense and get them in the best plays...most of the time. 

- He can make some great throws, but isn't consistent enough with accuracy to be a high level threat there. He's had a shoulder injury most of the year which has affected his accuracy, but he's never been consistently accurate. And this year he's missed easy throws at an alarming rate. His overall accuracy still looks respectable because the elite athletes he plays with bails him out a lot on poorly thrown balls. But an NFL level QB in place of Stetson this season would probably have a completion % at least 5 to 8 points higher. 

- His arm strength isn't a weakness, but he definitely doesn't have a strong arm that allows a QB to wait on windows opening up. 

- His processing speed has always been a weakness. His age and experience in the scheme is helping make up for that a lot this season, but he still relies on a lot of pre-snap reads and decisions. That leads to a lot of missed wide open reads and forced passes or scrambles. This is the main weakness that will keep him from the NFL; reading the whole field and processing things quickly is BY FAR the #1 desired trait to play QB in the NFL. 

BTW, Hendon Hooker is not an NFL prospect either. Between the two, Stetson actually has a better chance. Hooker is a system QB and has a lot of the same limitations as Stet in not being able to read the full field and slow processing speed. But at least Bennett has been playing in a pro-style offense that has more prepared him for what he would see in the NFL. 

Bryce Young is the best QB prospect in this years draft class by a mile. If it weren't for his size he'd be the best QB prospect in this generation. But his size is definitely a concern. He should still be the 1st QB off the board though. Stroud is a QB that has some ability, but due to playing at OSU in an offense that in no way prepares a QB for the NFL, it will likely be at least 2 season before you know what you might have in him. He's a big gamble, and not one that I would take as an NFL GM. 

Wonder if Bennett will get draft before JT? somebody will likely draft JT rounds 6-7, but Im not sure where Stetson goes, though if he finishes out the year like last year rounds 3-5 seem possible about the only thing is there have been so many QB's drafted the last couple of years. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-georgia-quarterback-jt-daniels-155000392.html

Former Georgia Bulldogs quarterback JT Daniels has lost the job as starting quarterback for the West Virginia Mountaineers. West Virginia is starting quarterback Garrett Greene in place of Daniels. The Mountaineers played Greene after Daniels struggled last week in West Virginia’s comeback win over Oklahoma.

Daniels transferred from Georgia to West Virginia this offseason. The former five-star recruit entered the transfer portal after Georgia won the national championship in January.

Why is West Virginia starting Garrett Greene over JT Daniels? It is similar to why Stetson Bennett got the nod over JT Daniels midway through 2021. Greene is more mobile and opens up West Virginia’s rushing attack. Greene has 212 rushing yards this season. JT Daniels has never finished a season with positive rushing yards. West Virginia needs a boost in the run game, so they are turning to Garrett Greene.

The Mountaineers (4-6) are looking to make a bowl game. JT Daniels has 13 passing touchdowns, nine interceptions, and 2,107 passing yards for West Virginia this season.