Stetson Bennett

1 hour ago, pzummo said:

I'm a big UGA fan, watch every snap of every game.  Stetson is not an NFL QB.  He's definitely a competitor and I have been impressed with him in big games.  I just don't think he'll translate well to the NFL.  

This.

We both could be wrong but I got a feeling we wont be.

Edited by Blitz28179

2 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

If they want to draft another QB, I'd rather take Stetson late , than any of the other QBs earlier. He's basically the same guy without all the hype.  They need to pour all the draft capital they can into defense and oline. 

Sick of drafting olineman.. Grab a couple of proven olineman in FA..

1 hour ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

With the new concussion protocols expect teams to start back carrying 3 QBs again soon. I remember Cris Collinsworth mentioning that as a possible rule in the near future as well last night when Herbert got hit in the head and had to sit out the rest of the Chargers offensive drive.

If I was a chargers fan I would be pissed, That changed the game for sure! But I understand they have to do that now.

This falcons forums would go crazy up if that happended to the falcons lol

Edited by Blitz28179

3 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

He should be there 5th round and back and we need to take him. Ridder will fail, he doesnt go thru progressions and will get eaten up in NFL. 

While I have no problem taking Stetson late vs another QB earlier, if that's what they want to do, it's because he's a better value in that case. Im not writing Ridder off though. I still feel like he can play and I hope he gets a shot. They really need to invest in the team and give Ridder a chance.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

3 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

He should be there 5th round and back and we need to take him. Ridder will fail, he doesnt go thru progressions and will get eaten up in NFL. 

Bruh….tf are you talking about. 

One of the biggest strengths mentioned about Ridder throughout the entire draft process was his shown ability to go through progressions. 

4 hours ago, thanat0s said:

SBIV is 25 years old, and he will be 26 in October of his rookie season. Teams aren’t rushing out to use a draft pick on him.

UDFA, but don’t hold your breath that he’ll amount to anything. 

He’s also 5’11” and 190 pounds. If he makes it as a backup in the NFL, he’s exceeding all reasonable expectations. 

I said this last year about Stetson...He can play in the NFL.  If Jake Fromm can get drafted, so can Stetson.

No, he is not the biggest.  He reminds me of one of the Detmer brothers.  Ty was technically the smaller of the two.  No, he hasn't put up the kind of passing numbers he did, but size wise.  I say with a lot of confidence he has a better arm and athleticism than either of them.

I think he is just as big if not bigger than Bryce Young.  I think he will get a combine invite and surprise some people.  Without a doubt, he has a better arm than JT Daniels.  The schedule Georgia has played, the competition, why not in the NFL?  It will be 5th/6th/7th round, but I expect him to be drafted.  

He does make occasional mistakes, but has some moxie.  I don't think he is every going to be anybody's #1 or QB of the future, but I think he can be a much better QB than Feleipe Franks, Josh Rosen or Trace McSorley whom have all had chances.  It may take him a while but I think he can stick around and be an asset for a little while, he is already 25.

14 minutes ago, isproab said:

I said this last year about Stetson...He can play in the NFL.  If Jake Fromm can get drafted, so can Stetson.

No, he is not the biggest.  He reminds me of one of the Detmer brothers.  Ty was technically the smaller of the two.  No, he hasn't put up the kind of passing numbers he did, but size wise.  I say with a lot of confidence he has a better arm and athleticism than either of them.

I think he is just as big if not bigger than Bryce Young.  I think he will get a combine invite and surprise some people.  Without a doubt, he has a better arm than JT Daniels.  The schedule Georgia has played, the competition, why not in the NFL?  It will be 5th/6th/7th round, but I expect him to be drafted.  

He does make occasional mistakes, but has some moxie.  I don't think he is every going to be anybody's #1 or QB of the future, but I think he can be a much better QB than Feleipe Franks, Josh Rosen or Trace McSorley whom have all had chances.  It may take him a while but I think he can stick around and be an asset for a little while, he is already 25.

Lets call scouting what it is. Politics. So much daddy ball in sports today, coming all the way up from the Jr. high level, a lot of good kids dont get looks. Scouts have become lazy and dependent upon certain high schools to always pull kids out of. A lot of colleges are by passing good athletes in the public school arena and going right to private schools because of all the DADDY BALL, PAY FOR PLAY in Public School. But there are athletes being overlooked. Thru football camps, game tape, and 7 on 7 leagues, recruiters are doing the best they can with an overwhelming amount of data. BUt pure athletes are being over looked based on 40 times, height, weight, etc.. peripherials that shouldnt carry as much weight. The number one NFL recruiting tool should be game tape, not a Senior Bowl standout where star players arent even going 100% becasue they dont want to get hurt and subpar talent tis trying to stand out to get a chance. Grates me when I used to hear TD brag about the liked this kid becasue of his Senior Bowl performance. I knew right away we were about to shoot our load on a underqualified player. Falcons need to be looking for IMPACT players. Players that perform at a high level in Big Time Games against Big Time teams. We want the best players against the best competition. You mean to tell me a QB lighting up lower tier temas like Tulsa and Memphis is going to perform better than a QB that constantly plays top 10 competiton? No way.  

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Lets call scouting what it is. Politics. So much daddy ball in sports today, coming all the way up from the Jr. high level, a lot of good kids dont get looks. Scouts have become lazy and dependent upon certain high schools to always pull kids out of. A lot of colleges are by passing good athletes in the public school arena and going right to private schools because of all the DADDY BALL, PAY FOR PLAY in Public School. But there are athletes being overlooked. Thru football camps, game tape, and 7 on 7 leagues, recruiters are doing the best they can with an overwhelming amount of data. BUt pure athletes are being over looked based on 40 times, height, weight, etc.. peripherials that shouldnt carry as much weight. The number one NFL recruiting tool should be game tape, not a Senior Bowl standout where star players arent even going 100% becasue they dont want to get hurt and subpar talent tis trying to stand out to get a chance. Grates me when I used to hear TD brag about the liked this kid becasue of his Senior Bowl performance. I knew right away we were about to shoot our load on a underqualified player. Falcons need to be looking for IMPACT players. Players that perform at a high level in Big Time Games against Big Time teams. We want the best players against the best competition. You mean to tell me a QB lighting up lower tier temas like Tulsa and Memphis is going to perform better than a QB that constantly plays top 10 competiton? No way.  

I agree with some of that.  I mean, my kid just finished high school.  He was a baseball player since 4 years old.  Not a big kid, doesn't have a power arm.  As an outfielder, he had a decent glove, but could run well and really hit.  Not a power bat, but hit for a high average.  From spring 2021 to spring 2022, he faced I think 11 guys (in high school and travel ball) that committed as D1 pitchers.  He hit over .600 against them.  All at bats recorded and on YouTube, fair amount of tweets, little to no conversation from 54 D1 programs he reached out to.

He started playing football when he was 5.  Only went through 7u with it.  Coaches always lost their minds for kids that were big.  Didn't matter the kind of athlete, just the size.  There is always going to be that "Get off the bus" factor.  That and having famous or athletic parents.  Lot of kids get overlooked.  Coaches are the gatekeepers and if they are on your side, it will happen for you.

37 minutes ago, isproab said:

I agree with some of that.  I mean, my kid just finished high school.  He was a baseball player since 4 years old.  Not a big kid, doesn't have a power arm.  As an outfielder, he had a decent glove, but could run well and really hit.  Not a power bat, but hit for a high average.  From spring 2021 to spring 2022, he faced I think 11 guys (in high school and travel ball) that committed as D1 pitchers.  He hit over .600 against them.  All at bats recorded and on YouTube, fair amount of tweets, little to do conversation from 54 D1 programs he reached out to.

He started playing football when he was 5.  Only went through 7u with it.  Coaches always lost their minds for kids that were big.  Didn't matter the kind of athlete, just the size.  There is always going to be that "Get off the bus" factor.  That and having famous or athletic parents.  Lot of kids get overlooked.  Coaches are the gatekeepers and if they are on your side, it will happen for you.

Yep there is old school saying "You cant teach size" but I have seen a lot of sub standard big athletes get recruited. Again the peripherial game is misleading. Scouts looking at size and height and 40 times and not looking at footwork, hand work, etc..... Falcons staff fails on this big time at NFL level. Look at Falcons o-line and how slow off the ball they are, how they cant move side to side, but I bet they all got good 40 times. Game tape. When you watch Stetson Bennett play his is a IMPACT player.  Falcons lack IMPACT players on offensive line, defensive line, and linebacker position which puts too much of a strain on defensive secondary. 

1 hour ago, isproab said:

I agree with some of that.  I mean, my kid just finished high school.  He was a baseball player since 4 years old.  Not a big kid, doesn't have a power arm.  As an outfielder, he had a decent glove, but could run well and really hit.  Not a power bat, but hit for a high average.  From spring 2021 to spring 2022, he faced I think 11 guys (in high school and travel ball) that committed as D1 pitchers.  He hit over .600 against them.  All at bats recorded and on YouTube, fair amount of tweets, little to do conversation from 54 D1 programs he reached out to.

You and I are in agreement with this. After coaching for 12 yrs of girls softball, I routinely witnessed much better talent get passed over in high school for girl's whose parent's had money or clout. 

Edited by Williamb
Correction

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

Agreed. But that's all we have to base opinions even with the golden boy 1st rounders. To say he couldn't be a serviceable backup would be jumping to conclusions.

Well, no.  We can base opinions on their measurables and the difference between 5'11" 190 pound QBs tend to do really well in college versus the NFL.

Measurables aren't everything, but betting on a guy to beat the spread when he doesn't have them doesn't strike me as a safe or wise bet.  

Just now, JDaveG said:

Well, no.  We can base opinions on their measurables and the difference between 5'11" 190 pound QBs tend to do really well in college versus the NFL.

Measurables aren't everything, but betting on a guy to beat the spread when he doesn't have them doesn't strike me as a safe or wise bet.  

I'd prefer results over metrics.

5 hours ago, Williamb said:

I'd prefer results over metrics.

When going from college, especially with QBs, metrics generally predict results.

Who is the last 5'11" 190 pound QB to do anything worth noting in the NFL?  Even short-*** Kyler Murray is 20 pounds heavier than that.  Mike Vick was too, and a full inch taller.  And even eliminating weight (which is still a solid metric), the number of QBs who have succeeded in the NFL at less than about 6'2" is a short list.  But when you add in the weight, the dude just isn't going to be able to play at this level.

Great college QB.  But it won't translate.  And we have Ridder who is easily as good a college QB and has all the measurables, and he's on the roster now for cheap.  If we're taking a late round flyer, give me a guy with off the charts athleticism who needs to be developed, or a guy with solid measurables and a lesser arm, less speed, whatever.  At least the guy with the measurables has a chance to be a good passer at the next level.  And for a backup, that's exactly what you're looking for.  A guy who can't see the passing lanes and also lacks elite QB ability at the college level doesn't have a chance, honestly.  Most who do have elite ability but lack size don't stand a chance.