#1 Georgia vs Mississippi State

Carter

The Dawgs travel to Starkville for a meeting with Mike Leach and the Dawgs of the SEC West.

Leach has a pretty dangerous offense with a very good QB running it. They are not close to the talent level of UGA, but I am curious to see how we handle that road atmosphere. I expect UGA to keep rolling, but Starkville can be a tough road trip for a night game so we'll see how things go. MSU looked to be pushing for a stronger season than their current record would indicate, but they have met a few ugly setbacks at the hands of LSU, Kentucky, and Bama. Georgia likely adds to that list of ugly setbacks, but we'll see how it all goes down. 

Kickoff will be Saturday at 7pm Eastern, coverage on the mothership.

GO DAWGS!

Strangely enough I feel less good about this game than I did about Tennessee. That game was an easy game for our players to get up for. And I knew for certain that 10erC didn't have the Jimmy's and Joe's to take advantage of our defense like they did everyone else; If they can't run on you with a light box, they become one dimensional and become easy pickings for a physical secondary that can run with their WR's. And they have no real adjustments that can be made; if you can stop what they do, they are dead in the water. The problem for most programs is they don't have the players to stop what they do. UGA does. That's why I was never even slightly worried about them.

But Miss St. is a different animal. Their offense is completely different from TENN. It's so unpredictable and different from game to game, and even series to series. 

We should still easily win this game, but the offensive unpredictability combined with the propensity of UGA to play with their food most of this season could be a recipe for a much closer game than it should be. We're also going on the road after a big emotional home win. The early line is UGA -16. We "should" cover that if everything goes like it should. But I could see this game getting muddied up and turning into another Missouri situation. 

The biggest thing I'll be looking for this week is to see if we've outgrown our propensity to play with our food and instead bury this team like we are capable of.  

10 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Strangely enough I feel less good about this game than I did about Tennessee. That game was an easy game for our players to get up for. And I knew for certain that 10erC didn't have the Jimmy's and Joe's to take advantage of our defense like they did everyone else; If they can't run on you with a light box, they become one dimensional and become easy pickings for a physical secondary that can run with their WR's. And they have no real adjustments that can be made; if you can stop what they do, they are dead in the water. The problem for most programs is they don't have the players to stop what they do. UGA does. That's why I was never even slightly worried about them.

But Miss St. is a different animal. Their offense is completely different from TENN. It's so unpredictable and different from game to game, and even series to series. 

We should still easily win this game, but the offensive unpredictability combined with the propensity of UGA to play with their food most of this season could be a recipe for a much closer game than it should be. We're also going on the road after a big emotional home win. The early line is UGA -16. We "should" cover that if everything goes like it should. But I could see this game getting muddied up and turning into another Missouri situation. 

The biggest thing I'll be looking for this week is to see if we've outgrown our propensity to play with our food and instead bury this team like we are capable of.  

I think that they'll be focused and ready. This is the home stretch, they can see the SECCG from here.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:14 PM, RandomFan said:

LOL **** now you are pessimistic and I think they roll MSU, I just think the depth, even if there are guys coasting a bit, I could easily see coaches calling them out and sending in the 2nd string and them delivering a beat down. Not only that these are the games were they will experiment with different plays and players, sure some times they struggle with that but others they can just click. 

Mississippi defense ranked 47th

Georgia offense ranked 3rd 

Mississippi offense ranked 61st

Georgia's defense ranked 5th

This is an easy win for Georgia. I am a State grad and a UGA fan. I watched almost all of MSU games this year and think they will struggle with UGA. 

MSU Offense:

Will Rogers spread it out to all of his receivers. However, all you need to do is fluster him. He is a statue so a couple of early pressures will force him to make mistakes. Disguise the defense and he will check into some plays that will benefit the defense. He has full autonomy of the offense. The WRs are just average. A lot of drops. Although State throws the ball a lot, be aware of the RBs. Dillion Johnson is tough to bring down. Marks is shifty. They both catch the ball really out of the back field. Both of Rogers go to check down and he will throw a lot of check downs.

MSU Defense:

This is a surprisingly strong Defense. The run defense is solid. They struggle with mobile QB. The pass defense is average outside of Emmanuel Forbes. Forbes was out against Auburn.

agree w/ Random that this is the ultimate trap game - road game in tough environment with a good (not great) opponent.    Will likely be a cold game as well and at night - all that plus coming off a huge win and lots of rat poison in the media this week.

Frankly, I don't care if we cover as I am not a gambler - just get out with a win any way you can and I'm good.   Although it would be nice not to be grinding my teeth in the 4th quarter.

Much more confident in the Kentucky match-up the following week as UK cannot "outphysical" Georgia and that is their style.   I believe Dawgs will win but think it will be an uglier game and they don't cover.

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

Okay I just put 1000 on MSU +16 points and over....

Good luck, I really hope you win because I want to beat down every team that lines up against us. And perhaps you missed me saying we "should" still win this game easily, and that we should still cover? I just see an easier path to a closer game than I did vs Tennessee. 

On 11/7/2022 at 11:14 PM, RandomFan said:

I heard Reese Davis make a few comments about the Dawgs taking care of business 'when they're interested' such as TN this past week. He wasn't being critical per se, just making an observation about how we approach our opponents depending on who they are.

11 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Good luck, I really hope you win because I want to beat down every team that lines up against us. And perhaps you missed me saying we "should" still win this game easily, and that we should still cover? I just see an easier path to a closer game than I did vs Tennessee. 

LOL Im on a budget but Id never bet that kind of scratch even if I wasn't. Im fine with my nickel DFS...

11 hours ago, fuego said:

I heard Reese Davis make a few comments about the Dawgs taking care of business 'when they're interested' such as TN this past week. He wasn't being critical per se, just making an observation about how we approach our opponents depending on who they are.

That is due to our youth and kirby said that after the Samford and Kent state games.  He said that we are young and immature at spots and he is right, but this team has really matured.  The msu game is a huge trap ge especially after that butt kicking of Tennessee, but I think Kirby is going to.run the same defense Saban ran and we should be good.  

Not gonna lie I hesitate to post this as the later the season gets the more superstitious I become. Especially when they are playing at a extreme level but

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/football/georgia-football-is-becoming-an-anomaly-in-college-football

Georgia is Becoming an Anomaly

Georgia is accomplishing something that has never been done before in college football.

JONATHAN WILLIAMS

NOV 9, 2022 4:33 PM EST

Eleven weeks into the season Georgia remains undefeated, possesses the No. 1 ranking and arguably has two of the most impressive wins in all of college football. It has been an impressive season for Smart and his team and something that the college football world has never seen before. 

Taking a look back at other teams that witnessed a mass exodus on their rosters due to players leaving for the NFL, no one was able to accomplish what Georgia is currently doing. 

Following the 2018 season, Alabama had just appeared in the national championship game and then had 12 players taken in the draft. The next season, they finished second in their division and lost two games during the regular season. 

After the 2019 season, LSU had 14 players drafted after winning a national championship. The very next season the Tigers went 5-5 and didn't even make a bowl game. 

Back in 2014, Florida State made the college football playoff and then had 11 players drafted into the NFL. In their next season, they went 10-3 and finished second in their division after going 13-1 in their previous season.

Even in 2003 Ohio State went 11-2, finished No. 4 in the AP poll, and then had 14 players drafted. In their next season, the Buckeyes went 8-4, finished fifth in their conference, and made the Alamo bowl. 

So four different examples within the last 20 years where teams had more than ten players taken in the draft and experienced a drop off in their next season. Georgia lost more players than any of those teams listed above and still remain as a favorite to win both the SEC and the national championship. 

What Smart and his staff have done this season is not normal. History says for a team to lose that many starters in one offseason to then not miss a beat the very next season is something that should not be possible. But somehow, Smart and his team have found a way to do the impossible. Especially not after the team's defensive coordinator, defensive backs coach and offensive line coach all leave in the same offseason as well. 

Part of it has to do with how well Georgia recruits every single year but it also has to do with how efficiently Smart and his staff have developed players. It's how a true freshman like Malaki Starks becomes a starter and looks like one of the best players on the football field every single week. 

This Georgia team, who was supposed to be inexperienced, has looked far from it, and instead they are accomplishing things that no other program that has been in their shoes was able to accomplish in prior years.

2 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

We’ve definitely made a few enemies. Oregon wants another shot at us bad… so does Tennessee. I hope we take care of LSU in the Sec championship game. I really feel like it will be them. We should

GO DAWGS!

We have a lot of teams shooting for us for sure and every team we play will give us their best game because we are undefeated and national champs.  Earlier in the year against teams that were not a threat our players didn't play as a mature team.  They have improved on that a lot, but they still have some growing up to do and we should see that at MSU.. MSU is not an easy out at all.  Night game with those cowbells and that passing attack.