Frank Reich fired...Jeff Saturday in as interim coach???

isproab

Colts can do what they want, but this is strange and I bet there will be some head scratching (or blowback).  The guy was a good player, but has 0 experience as a coach.  Someone mentioned on Facebook that Reggie Wayne is actually on staff with the Colts, so he has more experience than this guy.

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-name-jeff-saturday-interim-175324311.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACOm02Z3LQbYqRBvMfd5QmZv4sNRP4Zm0P7ndthGK28QgIwsTHhhZxPIex0obbr5wZoiN3r1fhm1x5PaHOSzhhY_Nnv9tLEHxnUSryLqsgNMzPL2AZVGd8CaNLwSq87uMAuUX1TCvgPqXw-nF1Icw_2uXXwNpL2cve7bjmtT8Ur4

• isproab changed the title to Frank Reich fired...Jeff Saturday in as interim coach???

Matt Ryan deserved better. Who would have guessed that he was jumping from the frying pan into the fire? 

The decisions that the Colts have made in benching Ryan for the season and now hiring a HS coach as interim HC qualify for intentional tanking. I may not have heard it clearly, but I also heard it suggested that the benching of Ryan had a financial component? Really? They are going to screw Ryan out of his money?

7 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

Matt Ryan deserved better. Who would have guessed that he was jumping from the frying pan into the fire? 

The decisions that the Colts have made in benching Ryan for the season and now hiring a HS coach as interim HC qualify for intentional tanking. I may not have heard it clearly, but I also heard it suggested that the benching of Ryan had a financial component? Really? They are going to screw Ryan out of his money?

If that is what it's about, then they are going to save the money if they can.  They have no loyalty to Matt Ryan.  It does suck for him, but that guy has made his money.  I think he collects 18 million and change this year.  Not really sure how his 2022 snaps affect his 2023 pay.

15 minutes ago, nutsandbolts said:

I'm probably the only person on this website that didn't buy into the Colts after that trade. Everyone jumped on their wagon because of Ryan alone and didn't consider the rest of the team. Automatically assumed the line would be better when their pass protection has been crap for a couple years now. They're built to run and couldn't do that efficiently because they played from behind so much this year

41 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

I'm probably the only person on this website that didn't buy into the Colts after that trade. Everyone jumped on their wagon because of Ryan alone and didn't consider the rest of the team. Automatically assumed the line would be better when their pass protection has been crap for a couple years now. They're built to run and couldn't do that efficiently because they played from behind so much this year

The run game is terrible regardless of that. Half of their runs are draw plays out of shotgun to the gut. Least creative run game I've ever seen in my life, makes Koetter look like Shanahan. Very poor run blocking on top of everything. The Colts are a bottom 3 team this year, they got lucky that Ryan, as washed as he looked at times was able to show enough flashes of who he was to pull some dubs out of his *** late in games, They won't win many games if any with an inexperienced QB at the helm. 

Hiring Jeff Saturday as interim HC though???

Wasn't he just an ESPN analyst or something and never had a coaching job of any significance?

Also how is hiring an outside HC during the middle of the season helps if it kills any continuity with philosophy and connection with the coaches already on staff?

4 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

Wasn't he just an ESPN analyst or something and never had a coaching job of any significance?

Also how is hiring an outside HC during the middle of the season helps if it kills any continuity with philosophy and connection with the coaches already on staff?

Seems like a reset button move.  Ensure that they finish at the bottom like Major League. 

21 hours ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

I can agree with that 100%.  I'm looking at comments on FB and how some people think this is just a PR type move to get fans to still come to the game.  Some have said, he is just there to clean house and Irsay "trusts" him.  Classic goal post moving.  When have fans come to see a coach.  Especially if we are not talking about history.  This isn't Bobby Bowden retiring or something.  What ever happened to the best candidate for the job.  Even if its interim, how is a guy off the street best for the job?

What they are ignoring is this is an opportunity to prove yourself as a head coach.  This is an opportunity to build your resume.  This is an opportunity that guys like Reggie Wayne and every other young coach on that staff is working towards, and someone basically came off the street, jumped the line to get that experience and opportunity.

Saturday himself said in the press conference..."I'm auditioning not only for this one, but for 31 others just like everyone else in this game".  Yet Saturday, with no real qualifying experience jumped the line.  He now wants to be a NFL coach after focusing on being a media member most of his post-playing days.

Some might now want to admin it, but stuff like this is why Brian Flores has/had a lawsuit.

47 minutes ago, isproab said:

I can agree with that 100%.  I'm looking at comments on FB and how some people think this is just a PR type move to get fans to still come to the game.  Some have said, he is just there to clean house and Irsay "trusts" him.  Classic goal post moving.  When have fans come to see a coach.  Especially if we are not talking about history.  This isn't Bobby Bowden retiring or something.  What ever happened to the best candidate for the job.  Even if its interim, how is a guy off the street best for the job?

What they are ignoring is this is an opportunity to prove yourself as a head coach.  This is an opportunity to build your resume.  This is an opportunity that guys like Reggie Wayne and every other young coach on that staff is working towards, and someone basically came off the street, jumped the line to get that experience and opportunity.

Saturday himself said in the press conference..."I'm auditioning not only for this one, but for 31 others just like everyone else in this game".  Yet Saturday, with no real qualifying experience jumped the line.  He now wants to be a NFL coach after focusing on being a media member most of his post-playing days.

Some might now want to admin it, but stuff like this is why Brian Flores has/had a lawsuit.

Yep, I think many coaches on the staff will feel some type of way about it because they've been working their way up the ranks. Also it will be a cause of concern for the entire staff because it will be so much up in the air due to Saturday not being a guy already on staff to understand what's really going on.

Too much change for a struggling team could make it even worse.

I also saw a YouTube video that now the Colts don't have anyone on their staff that has ever called offensive plays in their career. Colts fired their OC a week or 2 ago and then fired their HC Reich who had then took over calling the offensive plays.

Edited by DonGonnaFindTFOut

5 minutes ago, DonGonnaFindTFOut said:

I also saw a YouTube video that now the Colts don't have anyone on their staff that has ever called offensive plays in their career. Colts fired their OC a week or 2 ago and then fired their HC Reich who had then took over calling the offensive plays.

its already being handled 😄

It’s kinda funny. We know what happens when owners approve coaches because they like “the person” and can relate to them. 

On the other hand I love that he said he’s not backing down but would walk away if he did poorly. I believe he’s very competitive so maybe that means he surrounds himself with the best people and listens to their advice. Falcons fans know what it’s like to have talented coordinators and assistants who can’t speak their mind or manage their own squad. 

Just saying I’m not rooting for him to fail and he’s certainly got as good a chance of doing better than a pompous, immovable guy who refuses to adjust. Let’s see what happens. 

Oddly, 92.9 just said Ryan is going to be active on Sunday.  I wonder if Saturday told Irsay "if you want me to coach this team, I get to pick who plays and you have to let go of this nonsense about Ryan not getting a bonus if he gets hurt."

Ryan deserves better, so I certainly hope he gets to play again this season, if healthy.