CFP Rankings 2022

35 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

you have an lsu team that was blown out by tennessee in their own house and lost to an average fsu squad (they were down the entire game) and then they struggled to beat a bad auburn team.  I don't know how that is top 10 worthy?  I really think it sets up alabama when they win to only make that resume that much better..  the committee can then claim another lame thing saying bama beat a top 10 team.. blah, blah. 

I don’t disagree with why their number 10. I don’t really get it either. Alabama is weird on the road so you never know. The one saving Grace is that Alabama has pretty much dominated LSU in Baton Rogue recently. But I’m still expecting a close game. LSU views Alabama as their biggest rival and it’s a night game. Think they’ll be more hyped up for that than an 11 AM game vs a Tennessee team they don’t play often. 

I’m interested in why Tulane isn’t higher up 

32 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Saw a stat that no team ranked #3 in the first week of the rankings has ever made the playoffs. UGA will look to be the first. 

That just means that all the number 3 teams lost games in the last few weeks of the season. Lose at number 3 last month of the regular season, you're probably dropping out of the top 4, without enough time to climb back before the season ends.

If GA wins the SECCG, they're in the playoffs. Just win baby.

Tennessee is going to drop a lot after this gashing. 

So will the CFP risk ranking TCU higher?  They’re 9-0. Let’s be honest, Clemson has 2 wins over FCS teams. Is that reasonable?  But TCU is a small school and the ratings would not be as good.  

I wish they’d be honest and call it Ratings instead of Rankings. 

9 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Tennessee is going to drop a lot after this gashing. 

So will the CFP risk ranking TCU higher?  They’re 9-0. Let’s be honest, Clemson has 2 wins over FCS teams. Is that reasonable?  But TCU is a small school and the ratings would not be as good.  

I wish they’d be honest and call it Ratings instead of Rankings. 

The head of the committee said they haven't been impressed by TCU's overall performance. He said they look for teams to be balanced and they haven't seen that from TCU to the point they like them as a top team. 

35 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The head of the committee said they haven't been impressed by TCU's overall performance. He said they look for teams to be balanced and they haven't seen that from TCU to the point they like them as a top team. 

I hate TCU. They are Baylor’s biggest and only 1 true rivalry.  TCU actually spun off from Baylor. I am in no way a homer for TCU.  But they’d decimate Clemson right now.  They’d match anyone else the committee could place as the 4.  
As a reminder, in 2002 both TCU and Baylor were ranked ahead of #6 Ohio State by the Playoff Selection Committee so there is recorded history of rule revisions to accommodate television ratings.  

Texas putting it to #13 K State on the road. 

Fun facts:

I grilled brats and my Longhorn wife and I eating them with Bijan Mustardson dijon mustard. It’s really delicious.  

And

Likely the 2 best rookie NFL running backs next year, Robinson and Vaughn putting on a show. 

1 hour ago, richham said:

If bama and Clemson lose, I think it will be UGA, Ohio st., mich, tenn, with tcu next in line with ore, usc after that.

Michigan and Ohio State play so one is losing for sure. Big10 isnt very good.  Remember Michigan v Georgia last playoff??

8 hours ago, PapaJoe said:

Michigan and Ohio State play so one is losing for sure. Big10 isnt very good.  Remember Michigan v Georgia last playoff??

I’m just talking about ranking for this week. Big 10 will only get in one team. Still a lot to be decided with tcu and the west coast teams.

Rankings #3

1. UGA

2. Ohio State

3. Michigan

4. TCU

5. Tennessee 

6. LSU

7. USC

8. Bama

9. Clemson

10. Utah

11. Penn State

12. Oregon

13. UNC

14. Ole Miss

15. Kansas St

16. UCLA

17. Washington

18. ND

19. FSU

20. UCF

21. Tulane

22. OK State

23. Oregon State

24. NC State

25. Cincinnati 

6 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

I don’t get UNC at 9-1 ranked behind USC or Oregon. That’s pretty ridiculous. By the end the committee will cave to the pressure and put a PAC12 team at 4. 

Weak schedule and very near misses. The beat App State by 2 and allowed 61 points. They beat Georgia State by 7, Miami by 3. The only currently ranked team they've played is ND and they lost by 2 touchdowns. Their defense is ranked #124 overall, they allow 460 yards a game. They've benefited from a weak ACC schedule and barely escaping some G5 teams. 

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Weak schedule and very near misses. The beat App State by 2 and allowed 61 points. They beat Georgia State by 7, Miami by 3. The only currently ranked team they've played is ND and they lost by 2 touchdowns. Their defense is ranked #124 overall, they allow 460 yards a game. They've benefited from a weak ACC schedule and barely escaping some G5 teams. 

Likewise Michigan has played 1 higher ranked opponent, Penn State. 

Not arguing your point as I have heard the rational many times and I’m not a Tarheel either way. Just observing that the rankings are ridiculous. 
Clemson has a soft schedule every year. Strength of opponent is not applied equally.  Will be interesting to see how Clemson and Heels match up this year.

And like I’ve said, the committee votes subjectively. Unless Michigan squarely beats Ohio State there will be too much media pressure from the coast and USC will leapfrog into 4 before the playoffs. 

The expansion will fix a lot of this.

9 hours ago, RandomFan said:

That people really believe Ohio St. is virtually equal to UGA is utterly laughable to me. Or that Tenn. is even within 9 pts. after the beat down they were given is somewhat as well.  That rematch would most likely be more competitive at any site they played and the UGA defense was stellar but still...  the Dawgs could have beaten them by 28 easily if Kirby wanted to go that route...  even in the rain. Dry game would have only helped, not hurt, UGA doing it if they wanted to.

There is always the chance the lesser team wins any game, any time, but from a likelihood perspective the better team in college ball this year is UGA. And there is not a close 2nd as of now.