#1 Tennessee vs #3 Georgia

Carter

A lot of people had Tennessee as a dark horse in the SEC this year, so this matchup being high profile isn't exactly shocking... but Tennessee has been down so long that seeing them come in so highly ranked and having a very successful season so far just feels a little weird. Seems to be leading a lot of people to underestimate the Vols I think.

For as much flack as they rightfully get for some woeful defensive performance and very bad total defense numbers, UT actually does fairly well against the run - they rank #9 nationally in rush defense, behind UGA at #5 nationally. The Vols have actually been allowing fewer rushing yards per play than the Dawgs, but where the Dawgs have given up just 2 rushing TDs on the season the Vols have given up T-E-N. Rushing has not been a big strength for the Dawgs, we're currently ranking #23 nationally in rush offense (UT is #25 against arguably better competition) with a RB by committee approach.

The fact of the matter is that UT's strength absolutely lies in their offense and their QB. Hooker is making Heisman noise and this will be a make or break game for both teams. We know UT's offense is legit. If you don't know, you have a few days to accept it before you see multiple coverage breakdowns in UGA's uber talented defensive backfield.

Georgia sits currently as 8.5 point favorites. That doesn't mean a whole lot, but UGA is a significant betting favorite and I do believe the Dawgs will win. Which team will make a statement here? Or will it be a competitive shootout? UGA having it as a home game is a big advantage. Hopefully we shatter all the hype building around this UT team the same way Bama used to do back in the day when they would just slap teams around, but with the youth on defense I'm not sure what to expect. UT could have a big offensive day or get strangled, I'm really not sure, but I think they are very likely to eat a lot.

Should be a great game. Coverage will be on CBS at 3:30pm Eastern.

GO DAWGS

• Carter changed the title to #2 Tennessee vs #1 Georgia

Really excited about this game. Interested to see how the Georgia defense preps for the Tennessee offense. May sound cliche, but that’s gonna be an awesome matchup. Tennessee is great about creating mismatches for their guys. But if there is a guy who can prep for it, it’s Kirby, the best defensive mind in college football right now. 

I don’t know who I think will win, I just know I’m excited for the game. Think the winner will be number 1 regardless of what Ohio State does. Georgia wins, and you don’t move them down. Tennessee wins and you put the team that just went on the road and beat number 1 at that number 1 position. 

If Georgia wins, then that could start a potential doomsday scenario for the committee which would be so fun to watch play out 

Nolan Smith is a huge, huge loss, and also, did Jalen Carter play last week? Hopefully Jalen Carter is around for Tennessee. 

Anyways, series note between Georgia and Tennessee. Georgia has never won 6 in a row. Georgia won from 1909-1910 and 1922-1924, lost in 1925. Won 4 in a row from 2000-2003, won in 2005, but lost in 2004. Won from 2010-2014 but lost in 2015. 

So the last 2 times Georgia had a 5 game win streak on Tennessee, Georgia lost those. Georgia losing in 2004 prevented what could’ve been a 6 game win streak. 

So for Georgia to finally get 6 in a row on Tennessee, we’ll have to stop Hooker and Hyatt in front of our home crowd. Georgia looked great against Oregon and South Carolina, but the way we looked against Kent State, South Carolina, or even the 3rd quarter against Florida cannot happen, we must play our best game of the year. Steston Bennett must take full advantage in the passing game.

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Nolan Smith is a huge, huge loss, and also, did Jalen Carter play last week? Hopefully Jalen Carter is around for Tennessee. 

Anyways, series note between Georgia and Tennessee. Georgia has never won 6 in a row. Georgia won from 1909-1910 and 1922-1924, lost in 1925. Won 4 in a row from 2000-2003, won in 2005, but lost in 2004. Won from 2010-2014 but lost in 2015. 

So the last 2 times Georgia had a 5 game win streak on Tennessee, Georgia lost those. Georgia losing in 2004 prevented what could’ve been a 6 game win streak. 

So for Georgia to finally get 6 in a row on Tennessee, we’ll have to stop Hooker and Hyatt in front of our home crowd. Georgia looked great against Oregon and South Carolina, but the way we looked against Kent State, South Carolina, or even the 3rd quarter against Florida cannot happen, we must play our best game of the year. Steston Bennett must take full advantage in the passing game.

Carter played last week.  Be critical to get  pressure up the middle.

I don't think the Tenn defense can stop the GA offense, while the GA defense can stop the Tenn offense a few times. Thing about the Tenn offense is that a couple of 3 and outs from it and the Tenn defense will be out on the field for an entire quarter. Lots of quarters this year against the better teams they played with 0,3 or 7 points- GA offense can make them pay for that.

If this was in Tenn, be a lot more worried, it's in Athens, and in Athens the first game after Dooley died. 

Could definitely see this one turning into a shoot out. I trust UGA's defense more then Tennessee's to get some stops which is why I give UGA the edge right now. I will say Tennessee's defense has been improving over the year. The run D has been really solid top and inside the top 10 most of the year. The backend still needs a lot of improvement although they did play their best game against Kentucky last week.

Edited by Volunteer Falcon

• Carter changed the title to #1 Tennessee vs #3 Georgia
6 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I really don't understand some of the handwringing from some of our fans; this really isn't going to be much of a game. 

Nah too many games this year Georgia didn't bring it for 4 quarters, if Missouri has half of Tennessee's offensive production Georgia loses that game, to Mizzou.  They screw around let the Vols get up a couple of scores and take the crowd out of it early they might be in trouble.

Losing Nolan Smith hurts especially when they don't have a lot of time to adjust , dude took a lot of quality snaps on defense. Got to contain Hooker so many times he extended drive against Bama with his legs and then he'd hit for a long one.

He throws so well on the run too, coverage has to be glued on the receivers for a long time.  There's a lot to be concerned about, but I do lean towards the Vince Dooley theory of rating your opponent on their best game and the Dawgs on their worse game

3 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Nah too many games this year Georgia didn't bring it for 4 quarters, if Missouri has half of Tennessee's offensive production Georgia loses that game, to Mizzou.  They screw around let the Vols get up a couple of scores and take the crowd out of it early they might be in trouble.

Losing Nolan Smith hurts especially when they don't have a lot of time to adjust , dude took a lot of quality snaps on defense. Got to contain Hooker so many times he extended drive against Bama with his legs and then he'd hit for a long one.

He throws so well on the run too, coverage has to be glued on the receivers for a long time.  There's a lot to be concerned about, but I do lean towards the Vince Dooley theory of rating your opponent on their best game and the Dawgs on their worse game

Keep believing their hype if you want to. UGA is about to leave zero doubt who is the #1 team in the land. And it won't be the team throwing mustard bottles at the end of the game. 

People thinking TEN is the 2nd coming of 2019 LSU offense are in for a rude awakening in a few days. 

The playoff committee just insured TEN a colossal beat down with their disrespectful rankings. Kirby has to be dancing on the ceiling because he knows what is coming now.