Matt Ryan Benched

Someday soon

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if it sticks.  Honestly, this is a "We surrender" move and to see what they have on the team moving forward.

Right... Starting Foles is gonna produce 0 different results and is pointless as he's nearing the end as well. If it was a game or 2 and you were playing well, Foles would be the guy, but at this point you see what you have with the young gun.

1 minute ago, 4LoveoftheGame said:

I somehow hope the Colts now just cut Ryan and let him maybe sign as a backup somewhere else (49ers, Vikings?) rather than now be inactive on gamedays as the team 3rd String. He deserves to go out better than Jeff George did. 

Would it not be hilarious if they did cut him, and he ended up with the Niners and Shanny again?😄

I had hoped Matt would just retire after last season, but it's a hard thing for most HOF level guys to walk away from until they're physically spent. Plus, he'd be giving up those last paychecks, and that's even rarer. Better to keep banking money until the league says go home, I guess. 

I know one thing, if this is the end of his incredible career, they need to retire his number immediately in a ceremony during the 23 season. There never has been and likely never will be, a greater player in team history. 

1 minute ago, insight said:

This is FAKE NEWS!, Ryan was horrible early in the season.  

It is not fake news.

They have three wins and a tie.

Had their kicker ( who has since been cut) made a relatively easy field goal... Ryan would have 4 game winning drives in 7 games.

6 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

So, in a nutshell, Terry Fontenot was able to trade the Ghosts of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for basically decent picks?  The man knows his onions I would say.

Yeah getting a 2,3 and a 4th; not the mention shedding the huge contracts for two aging players - one got benched and the other cant stay on the field is good on TF. 

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

So, in a nutshell, Terry Fontenot was able to trade the Ghosts of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for basically decent picks?  The man knows his onions I would say.

He could have gotten even more had he moved Ryan the year they drafted Pitts.  Ryan's value was still high at the time.  The Falcons manuevered that whole thing the wrong way by sticking with him one year too long AND boxing themselves in with the flirtation with Watson.  Both of those things dropped his value.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I’ll admit, I was one of them. I truly thought he had a couple years left in the tank, and thought TF made a mess out of it. Football is a brutal business, and TF was way ahead of everyone and made the brutal decision. 

Makes me sad to see an end of an era though.. 

Don't get me wrong....I appreciate everything Matt did....and I was a fan.....

But I saw the writing on the wall several years ago .....

I will never forget what he did for this franchise

But time conquers all.....

In the business of football....you have to be able to see it and move accordingly 

Just now, Dark Bird Rising said:

Why everybody jumped on Justine Fields, this is about our legacy Ryan being benched in favor of a 6th round QB. Fields would succeed under AS or at least perform better Mariota.

It turned into a conversation about Fields because of that particular poster. And it's possible Fields would do better in Atlanta, but Fields and Mariota are basically spitting images of one another in very similar situations right now. 

1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

He could have gotten even more had he moved Ryan the year they drafted Pitts.  Ryan's value was still high at the time.  The Falcons manuevered that whole thing the wrong way by sticking with him one year too long AND boxing themselves in with the flirtation with Watson.  Both of those things dropped his value.

Pittsburgh know a dead horse when they see one, they just got rid of one in Ben, they wouldn't trade for Ryan.

I think there's a lot of assumptions floating around on this.  The reports are incoherent (not unusual this early in a story this big).  Is he hurt?  Did they bench him because he's hurt?  Did they bench him and then he said "you know, if that's the case just ride with him the rest of the season and let me get this shoulder right so I can come back strong next year?"

Is Reich trying to save his job?  Did he feel like Ryan is playing through injury and not effective and gave him a soft landing to sit the rest of the season?

No one knows.  I do know that a non-surgical sprain is rarely a career ender even for an older QB.  Even a surgical sprain can usually be rehabbed and he'd have a reasonable shot at playing again.  So the idea that this is a retirement event is premature IMHO.  It may be, but if it is his shoulder is a LOT more jacked up than they're letting on.

Maybe Reich is trying to CYA since he hasn't been reporting him as injured (assuming he hasn't)?

Who knows at this point?

3 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Don't get me wrong....I appreciate everything Matt did....and I was a fan.....

But I saw the writing on the wall several years ago .....

I will never forget what he did for this franchise

But time conquers all.....

I'm the business of football....you have to be able to see it and move accordingly 

Ill tell you what, no matter the circumstances I thought we always had a chance when prime Matt and Julio stepped on the field. One of the best combinations ever. 

But like you said, the writing was on the was for a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is not fake news.

They have three wins and a tie.

Had their kicker ( who has since been cut) made a relatively easy field goal... Ryan would have 4 game winning drives in 7 games.

I watched several of the games and Matt Ryan was a turnover machine and the Colts struggled to score 20 points in most games.  He had a few good stretches and alot of bad series, what kept them in games was the defense. 

Edited by insight

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think there's a lot of assumptions floating around on this.  The reports are incoherent (not unusual this early in a story this big).  Is he hurt?  Did they bench him because he's hurt?  Did they bench him and then he said "you know, if that's the case just ride with him the rest of the season and let me get this shoulder right so I can come back strong next year?"

Is Reich trying to save his job?  Did he feel like Ryan is playing through injury and not effective and gave him a soft landing to sit the rest of the season?

No one knows.  I do know that a non-surgical sprain is rarely a career ender even for an older QB.  Even a surgical sprain can usually be rehabbed and he'd have a reasonable shot at playing again.  So the idea that this is a retirement event is premature IMHO.  It may be, but if it is his shoulder is a LOT more jacked up than they're letting on.

Maybe Reich is trying to CYA since he hasn't been reporting him as injured (assuming he hasn't)?

Who knows at this point?

I read he had a hurt shoulder. But they would have made this move either way

57 minutes ago, caponine said:

He leads the league in interceptions …., 

Can’t take everything at face value

How is he playing , his decision making, his reads, mechanics etc 

I've watched the Colts every game and I'm a huge Matt Ryan fan. He has been ****... sure plenty of blame should go to the o-line and the bad gameplans and play calls but he's not the same player. That's obivous. 

4 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Ill tell you what, no matter the circumstances I thought we always had a chance when prime Matt and Julio stepped on the field. One of the best combinations ever. 

But like you said, the writing was on the was for a couple of years.

Julio wanted out of ATL for what reason?  The rumors were?  I do think Ice's arm strength has had a lot to do with the red zone problems for years (fitting the ball into tight windows).

9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Who knows at this point?

There's literally a tweet on the front page that says "This would have been the plan even if Ryan wasn't injured"

He was not benched due to injury, he was benched due to poor play. 

The mental gymnastics you're trying to do to deny it would get you a gold at the olympics.

1 minute ago, Banana Bandit said:

There's literally a tweet on the front page that says "This would have been the plan even if Ryan wasn't injured"

He was not benched due to injury, he was benched due to poor play. 

The mental gymnastics you're trying to do to deny it would get you a gold at the olympics.

Oh, there's a tweet?

Well, that changes everything.  Nobody ever says anything that turns out later to be false on Twitter.