Matt Ryan Benched

Someday soon

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Go watch him in the preseason. Yes I know, preseason. but the kid can play. A lot on these boards liked him late. He has his limitations but he is a gamer

Sam is a gamer.  I am biased, Texan here, but he is a kid that you want to see succeed.  All heart, will give way more than he can.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If I had Jonathan Taylor that's exactly what I'd do..... Passing 40 times a game for 200 yards isn't doing much for them. 

They had a run game for the first time since week 1 against the titans and refused to run it despite the fact the pass rush was destroying the colts o line. At that point the blame is on Reich.

11 minutes ago, caponine said:

This is his last year most likely, his play has fallen off a cliff. 

he has declined in recent years but the decline this year has been like jumping off the tallest mountain. 

Some guys can’t play till 40 and that’s okay. 

Yeah, you can't talk good sense into some people.  The folks here in ATL swore he was going to be Tom Brady and play into early to mid 40s.  Brady is the exception, not the new rule or model.  Sucks that he hurt his shoulder.  That may be all she wrote for his career.

The book as I have described it on Matt Ryan is what I have seen.  Lot of yards, 64+ completion percentage, not enough TDs, too many INTs, no athleticism or "X" factor.  He has assaulted the passing record books.  Has an MVP, appeared in a super bowl.  He is Robin, not Batman.  It may sound like an insult, but kudos to him for his career.  I didn't want to keep spending the money and investing the time on him.  2016 was the best it was going to get.  Looking at 2018 and beyond, he had been passed by a lot of other young guys.  Not that he was playing a real sh!@y QB, but other young guys were just better and he was moving down the list of QBs.

2 minutes ago, SwampyMux12 said:

Bet he signs somewhere else as a "bridge" type guy next season like Phillip Rivers did. Ryan seems to be the type of guy that is gonna play until everyone refuses to sign him.

I dunno. Ryan's smart and a consummate pro. If he believes he has lost his fastball, I think he might walk away. It's hard to say because every athlete is different. For every Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders, there's a John Smoltz/ARod.

26 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

He got hurt. Now benched for remainder of year. 

Mods, I know you’ll move it but maybe leave it for a bit. This dude was the heart & soul of our franchise for 15 years. 

We got a 3rd rounder for a guy who made it 6 games through the season...

Win...

6 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I’m talking with a buddy of mine right now that is a huge colts fan and he was ecstatic to get Matt. Based on his commentary it sounds like their offensive line went to 💩 and that offense isn’t clicking as a result. Sucks that this man has hardly ever had a good o line 

The O lines performance has a lot to do with the type of QB.  I should know I have to watch the Hawkeyes put a statue at QB year after year.

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

Not good?

It was horrible. Him and his receivers did not seem to be on the same page whatsoever. Overthrows, throws to areas between receivers, throws to defenders. Definitely hurt his stock some, but he still has another year of play to show anyway so it shouldn't be too detrimental unless he plays like that several times more. 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So they should just do nothing and continue the downward spiral? 

They can make an attempt to do such, but their run blocking and blocking in general has been awful across the board the whole season. I don't expect this to change much for their year. 

Ryan's play - which has been bad - warranted benching him. Yes, their OL has been bad too, but any reasonable assessment of his skills would acknowledge Ryan is no longer a good QB.

When some on TATF were declaring Ryan could lead the Falcons to another SB after a 2-3 year rebuild, I predicted he'd never be the starting QB for a playoff team in his 40s. Looks like I was two years off.