Matt Ryan Benched

Someday soon

21 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yea last year was a huge step down too. I thought a lot of it was Arthur Smiths offense and the terrible line but it's pretty clear Ryan is just toast now. No shame in that, happens to every player at some point and usually before 37.

Kurt Warner was spot on last year and people bashed him for it. 

He pretty much brokedown Matt Ryan to a T last year.

There is no shame in admitting when you are done. Father Time is undefeated and it will continue to ….( besides Tom Brady) 

There were so many problems with Ryan last year , I put some on the team but I also put it on him. He had a great career but his decline and the impermanence of his career can’t be understated 

It's sad if this is it for Ryan that it ends this way. It's a shame he never got the appreciation or recognition he deserved from a good portion of the fanbase here. He did his part to win us that SB, no question. I believe he was our best Falcon. He was always the consummate professional and a pillar to the community while he was here. Hope the Colts lose out the rest of the way. 

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Kurt Warner was spot on last year and people bashed him for it. 

He pretty much brokedown Matt Ryan to a T last year.

There is no shame in admitting when you are done. Father Time is undefeated and it will continue to ….( besides Tom Brady) 

There were so many problems with Ryan last year , I put some on the team but I also put it on him. He had a great career but his decline and the impermanence of his career can’t be understated 

He has flashes of what he was but they are fewer and farther between the last three years. Still would trust him with the game on the line over any QB on our team though.

8 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

He has flashes of what he was but they are fewer and farther between the last three years. Still would trust him with the game on the line over any QB on our team though.

I mean yeah , he did just comeback against the chiefs 

That’s the inconsistency that he has dealt with during his career but he was always able to overshadow it 

5 hours ago, ThisIsNotFantasyFootball said:

It's sad if this is it for Ryan that it ends this way. It's a shame he never got the appreciation or recognition he deserved from a good portion of the fanbase here. He did his part to win us that SB, no question. I believe he was our best Falcon. He was always the consummate professional and a pillar to the community while he was here. Hope the Colts lose out the rest of the way. 

The vast majority of this board were heavy Matt Ryan fans.

8 hours ago, Spts1 said:

The vast majority of this board were heavy Matt Ryan fans.

Yup. People act like Ryan was so ‘under appreciated’ here in Atlanta. A very small percentage of people disliked/under appreciated Ryan. The vast majority supported him. I’m not entirely sure why people create false narratives to try and paint a picture that Ryan was some sort of perpetual underdog. 

13 hours ago, ThisIsNotFantasyFootball said:

My feelings exactly.  A bad end to a great career.  

8 hours ago, Vandy said:

Inconsistency? Matt Ryan was boorishly consistent throughout his career.

What I meant was he’ll give you great games then he’ll give you extremely awful games , that has hurt him. 

2010 vs Packers NFC Divisional Game

2011 vs Giants in the Wildcard

2012 vs Cardinals 

2015 vs Colts

2020 vs Chargers 

2021 vs Dallas 

A few examples of what I meant 

3 hours ago, caponine said:

What I meant was he’ll give you great games then he’ll give you extremely awful games , that has hurt him. 

2010 vs Packers NFC Divisional Game

2011 vs Giants in the Wildcard

2012 vs Cardinals 

2015 vs Colts

2020 vs Chargers 

2021 vs Dallas 

A few examples of what I meant 

Every single QB has a few of those.

The bad playoff games were early in his career….but even with that, he ended up statistically being one of best passing QBs in playoff history 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm

Matt Ryan had his limitations, but inconsistency wasn’t one of them.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

The awful playoff games were early in his career….but even with that, he was one of best passing QBs in playoff history 

Matt Ryan had his limitations, but consistency wasn’t one of them.

Gotcha back jack.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

The awful playoff games were early in his career….but even with that, he ended up statistically being one of best passing QBs in playoff history 

Matt Ryan had his limitations, but inconsistency wasn’t one of them.

Elite HOF QBs aren’t like that though. I’m not putting it all on him but you can’t have historically bad games and think that’s not going to matter in the end.

He’s a great QB and the best Falcons of the last year and contrary to this board, my favorite falcon ever.

but Some of the worst comebacks in NFL history have happened under his command. Again I’m not putting it all on him but he has been inconsistent throughout his career. 

39 minutes ago, caponine said:

Elite HOF QBs aren’t like that though. I’m not putting it all on him but you can’t have historically bad games and think that’s not going to matter in the end.

He’s a great QB and the best Falcons of the last year and contrary to this board, my favorite falcon ever.

but Some of the worst comebacks in NFL history have happened under his command. Again I’m not putting it all on him but he has been inconsistent throughout his career. 

He doesn’t play defense. And I’ve never said he was “elite”. And they’ve all had bad games.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-Peyton-Manning-s-worst-game-of-all-time

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-10-15-sp-3493-story.html

https://www.westword.com/news/worst-five-super-bowl-performances-of-all-time-include-john-elway-5881263

It’s utter nonsense on your inconsistency argument. Ryan had his shortcomings, but he’ll go down as one of the most consistently good QBs in nfl history.