World Series

For the A

Pitching wins championships. Phillies were playing overachieving baseball, and these hits and homers were just unsustainable and it finally got them in the end. I still think if we won the Game 1 of the NLDS, we’d be here either winning the WS again or lose in 6 or 7 games.

14 minutes ago, ATLBham said:

Pitching wins championships. Phillies were playing overachieving baseball, and these hits and homers were just unsustainable and it finally got them in the end. I still think if we won the Game 1 of the NLDS, we’d be here either winning the WS again or lose in 6 or 7 games.

They never recovered from the no hitter. The offense went completely dead that night and never came back. Just not enough talent to overcome a dose of reality that they were indeed a flawed roster that clicked at the right moment. Just couldn't sustain it a few more days. I know there's a lot of anger at the manager right now for pulling Wheeler at 70 pitches. Wheeler even expressed disappointment and shock with the decision after the game. Regardless of all that, scoring 1 run isn't going to get you very far against any team. Much less a 106 win team in the World Series. 

17 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

They never recovered from the no hitter. The offense went completely dead that night and never came back. Just not enough talent to overcome a dose of reality that they were indeed a flawed roster that clicked at the right moment. Just couldn't sustain it a few more days. I know there's a lot of anger at the manager right now for pulling Wheeler at 70 pitches. Wheeler even expressed disappointment and shock with the decision after the game. Regardless of all that, scoring 1 run isn't going to get you very far against any team. Much less a 106 win team in the World Series. 

I was surprised they pulled him out. Even if he gives up a run in that inning, I still would trust him over any pitcher in the bullpen in the sixth inning. Wheeler is that good to get out of it either unscathed or relatively scathed. Outside of the hiccup in G1 where they blew 5 run lead, Astros dominated the series and should have been done in 5. 

I can’t wait for the next season. Really curious what we’ll do this off-season.