MLB Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

7 minutes ago, jidady said:

I mean, he got paid a load of money. So, I can't blame him. IIRC, nobody else was in the range of what he got there.

Yeah, Soler definitely picked cashing in over winning or just best fit. I can't blame him, he has 2 rings and this was his chance to cash in a WS MVP. 

15 hours ago, jidady said:

I mean, he got paid a load of money. So, I can't blame him. IIRC, nobody else was in the range of what he got there.

Yes, let me correct myself. Soler going to MIami was a bad move for Miami, and kind of an obvious bad move at that. 

Kiley McDaniel contract projections:

1. Aaron Judge 9/324 (36 AAV)
2. Trea Turner 8/272 (34 AAV)
3. Carlos Correa 8/265 (33.1 AAV)
4. Xander Bogaerts 6/168 (28 AAV)
5. Dansby Swanson 6/150 (25 AAV)

Swanson has really improved since the start of his career when some wondered if the 2015 No. 1 overall pick would be a bust. He's posted back-to-back 25-homer seasons along with playing elite defense at shortstop -- and he doesn't turn 29 until February. A couple of executives I spoke with said he tops Bogaerts easily, with a chance that Swanson will clear Semien's deal and get into the $180 million area. When you combine a six-WAR platform year with his power and defensive value, he offers a unique package on the market this year.

On the other hand, there is a concern that he could be a hitter peaking at the typical ages (26-28 exactly) who will get a big deal and immediately start declining offensively. On top of that, speed and defense tend to decline earlier than hitting skills, and those areas makes up a bigger part of Swanson's appeal than for other players on this tier. I'll split the difference in my projection, but the gap between the low and high prediction on Swanson is something like $30-40 million, while Bogaerts' is about double that.

6. Jacob deGrom 3/132 (44 AAV)
7. Carlos Rodon 5/130 (26 AAV)
8. Brandon Nimmo 5/118 (23.5 AAV)
9. Justin Verlander 2/72 (36 AAV)
10. Kodai Senga 5/72 (14.4 AAV)
11. Taijuan Walker 4/60 (15 AAV)
12. Chris Bassitt 3/53 (18 AAV)
13. Jose Abreau 2/46 (23 AAV)
14. Willson Contreras 3/45 (15 AAV)
15. Andrew Benintendi 3/42 (14 AAV)
16. Zach Eflin 3/39 (13 AAV)
17. Ross Stripling 3/36 (12 AAV)
18. Anthony Rizzo 2/34 (17 AAV)
19. Tyler Anderson 2/33 (16.5 AAV)
20. Brandon Drury 3/33 (11 AAV)
21. Nathan Eovaldi 2/30 (15 AAV)
22. Jameson Taillon 2/30 (15 AAV)
23. Michael Brantley 2/28 (14 AAV)
24. Jose Quintana 2/28 (14 AAV)
25. Martin Perez 2/25 (12.5 AAV)
26. Rafael Montero 2/25 (12.5 AAV)
27. Jurickson Profar 2/24 (12 AAV)
28. Joc Pederson 2/24 (12 AAV)
29. Clayton Kershaw 1/20 
30. Andrew Heaney 2/20 (10 AAV)
31. Josh Bell 2/20 (10 AAV)
32. Michael Conforto 1/19 
33. Jean Segura 2/19 (9.5 AAV)
34. Matt Moore 2/18 (9 AAV)
35. Robert Suarez 2/17 (8.5 AAV)
36. Nick Martinez 2/16 (8 AAV)
37. Sean Manaea 1/15
38. Chris Martin 2/15 (7.5 AAV)
39. Andrew Chafin 2/15 (7.5 AAV)
40. Kenley Jansen 1/14
41. Taylor Rogers 2/14 (7 AAV)
42. Christian Vazquez 2/14 (7 AAV)
43. Noah Syndergaard 1/13.5
44. Matt Carpenter 1/13
45. Corey Kluber 1/13
46. Gary Sanchez 2/13 (6.5 AAV)
47. Chad Green 2/13 (6.5 AAV)
48. Matt Strahm 2/13 (6.5 AAV)
49. Michael Lorenzen 1/12
50. Justin Turner 1/11

It probably shouldn't factor too much into it, but Turner, Bogaerts, and Swanson will all likely get tagged with a QO. Correa will not after being tagged last year. The Braves obviously would not lose a draft pick if they re-signed Swanson of course, but would if they signed Turner or Bogaerts. 

Just now, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

OK guys, put your balls on the table - at what price (years AND cost) would you be comfortable with Swanson back in the ATL? the 6/150 gave us an estimate of what he COULD get, but what would you be happy with?

It is not my money so give him what he wants.

8 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

OK guys, put your balls on the table - at what price (years AND cost) would you be comfortable with Swanson back in the ATL? the 6/150 gave us an estimate of what he COULD get, but what would you be happy with?

None because I don't want him back.

His defense is his biggest draw and that will be one of the 1st things to go. Would honestly rather trade for Adames and use that money on a LF.

Edit: I shouldn't say I don't want him back because I won't be mad if he is but of all the available SS I'd place him 4th.

16 minutes ago, Malachore said:

His defense is his biggest draw and that will be one of the 1st things to go. Would honestly rather trade for Adames and use that money on a LF.

Edit: I shouldn't say I don't want him back because I won't be mad if he is but of all the available SS I'd place him 4th.

If the values prove close to true though we probably can't afford to give that much money out. As you said we likely need a LF, Fried needs a long term deal, Wright is going to need one if he continues to develop. We need a couple more bullpen arms as well. We have money to spend but we have needs to address as well. Dansby at $20-25M a year is probably our best play. 

31 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I disagree with the idea that defense is the first to go.

Power imo is first thing to go.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Something we're not talking about enough is how the Astros have just been in two World Series, winning one, yet they only gave Dusty Baker a one-year extension. That's all they've offered the GM, too.

WTH?

There is supposed friction between either Dusty and the GM or ownership and the GM.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Something we're not talking about enough is how the Astros have just been in two World Series, winning one, yet they only gave Dusty Baker a one-year extension. That's all they've offered the GM, too.

WTH?

Dusty may be year to year due to his age 

players that receive qualifying offers which is $19.65 million 

Aaron Judge (Yankees)

Trea Turner (Dodgers)

Xander Bogaerts (Red Sox)

Jacob deGrom (Mets)

Dansby Swanson (Braves)

Carlos Rodón (Giants)

Brandon Nimmo (Mets)

Willson Contreras (Cubs)

Chris Bassitt (Mets)