Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

13 hours ago, For the A said:

I think there are a couple of factors that makes him want to spend the money. 

1. If they spend the money and put a competitive team on the field fans will come and spend money. Bigger profit. 

2. I believe winning the WS last year put that taste in his mouth, so to speak, of how much fun that was and how great the feeling was.  

3. Also not sure how much of the profits Liberty can keep. So it could be if they have the money to spend might as well spend it. 

Also, higher broadcasting rates kick in for 2023 thanks to a renegotiation they did with Fox back in 2013, and those rates spiral higher each season through 2027 when the deal finally expires. This is in addition to a filled Battery complex and the highest attendance numbers in franchise history (and the highest ticket prices). 

Liberty essentially keeps no profits from the Braves, because it would be tax disadvantageous to do so. They will cash in on the Braves when they eventually sell the team -- or more likely spin it off into its own independent business with LM as a significant shareholder. 

There's no reason why the Braves shouldn't be a team the spends $205-220 a season on major league payroll, barring another catastrophic world event like 2020.

By the way, if the Braves release Ozuna (and put that expenditure in the 2023 budget -- if there's room for it, AA could cut him before the offseason starts and apply the expenditure to 2022 hey look stupid accounting tricks!) and Odorizzi takes his $6.5M buyout, I put the Braves payroll at ~$207M already for 2023.

The average of the top 5 payrolls in the majors in 2021 was $264M. Guessing the Braves have around $57M to play with. Maybe $94M if an Ozuna release is counted against 2022.

25 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Gold Glove finalists are being revealed. Olson, Dansby, d'Arnaud and Fried are all finalists at their position. 

Would be the 3rd for Olson and Fried. Dansby and d'Arnaud have never won it. Fried actually has a streak going of two consecutive. He'll have a good shot at his 3rd in a row. 

Fried isn't a surprise for me. Dansby somewhat, just because I don't recall him being a finalist is spite of being very good in the field over the years. d'Arnaud and especially Olson surprise me. I felt like Olson had a lot of random drops or plays that he should've made, but we all remember the bad over the good. I'm not sure d'Arnaud wins (was Jason Stallings a finalist?) and I don't think Olson will, but Dansby and Fried have real shots at their positions.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Fried isn't a surprise for me. Dansby somewhat, just because I don't recall him being a finalist is spite of being very good in the field over the years. d'Arnaud and especially Olson surprise me. I felt like Olson had a lot of random drops or plays that he should've made, but we all remember the bad over the good. I'm not sure d'Arnaud wins (was Jason Stallings a finalist?) and I don't think Olson will, but Dansby and Fried have real shots at their positions.

Stallings was not. It's d'Arnaud, Nido and Realmuto. Olson is up against Goldschmidt and Christian Walker. Dansby is facing Kim and Rojas. Fried is up against Tyler Anderson and Burnes. 

46 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Gold Glove finalists are being revealed. Olson, Dansby, d'Arnaud and Fried are all finalists at their position. 

Would be the 3rd for Olson and Fried. Dansby and d'Arnaud have never won it. Fried actually has a streak going of two consecutive. He'll have a good shot at his 3rd in a row. 

We all remember that David Wright beat out Chipper mainly due to offense and not defense. 

3 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Stallings was not. It's d'Arnaud, Nido and Realmuto. Olson is up against Goldschmidt and Christian Walker. Dansby is facing Kim and Rojas. Fried is up against Tyler Anderson and Burnes. 

Looking at Defensive Runs Saved, Christian Walker should win going away. JT Realmuto has 11 DRS compared to d'Arnaud's 6 to go along with an elite CS percentage. Tyler Anderson is at 5 DRS while Fried is at 3. Rojas is at 15 DRS while Swanson is at 9. We'll see how the vote align themselves.

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Walt Weiss declined an interview request from the Marlins. He plans to stay in Atlanta. 

Wash is among the candidates for the White Sox job. It's still early in that process. 

If I'm Ron Washington, I don't know that I leave the Braves unless the job has a lot of promise. I don't know that the White Sox job is that job. I think I'd be looking for a veteran team that's built to win now that just needs the right voice to guide them. If an opening doesn't offer those things, I'm not sure how he could leave a team like the Braves with all the young talent that has been locked up for the next decade. I'm also not sure that Ron Washington has as much to prove as a younger person who has never had their shot. Maybe he's a different person than I perceive, but I don't see how the White Sox job is an enticing opportunity for him.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, K26dp said:

Also, higher broadcasting rates kick in for 2023 thanks to a renegotiation they did with Fox back in 2013, and those rates spiral higher each season through 2027 when the deal finally expires. This is in addition to a filled Battery complex and the highest attendance numbers in franchise history (and the highest ticket prices). 

Liberty essentially keeps no profits from the Braves, because it would be tax disadvantageous to do so. They will cash in on the Braves when they eventually sell the team -- or more likely spin it off into its own independent business with LM as a significant shareholder. 

There's no reason why the Braves shouldn't be a team the spends $205-220 a season on major league payroll, barring another catastrophic world event like 2020.

Does this mean that all of the profits from the Braves essentially get reinvested into the team? If so, isn't that how the Yankees were built into the money spending powerhouse that they are now? For all of the crap Liberty gets, maybe their ownership is what we need to finally spend like the big market team that we know we are.

8 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

If I'm Ron Washington, I don't know that I leave the Braves unless the job has a lot of promise. I don't know that the White Sox job is that job. I think I'd be looking for a veteran team that's built to win now that just needs the right voice to guide them. If an opening doesn't offer those things, I'm not sure how he could leave a team like the Braves with all the young talent that has been locked up for the next decade. I'm also not sure that Ron Washington has as much to prove as a younger person who has never had their shot. Maybe he's a different person than I perceive, but I don't see how the White Sox job is an enticing opportunity for him.

The White Sox are built to win now. They were viewed as a huge disappointment this season. Some good talent on the roster there. 

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

The White Sox are built to win now. They were viewed as a huge disappointment this season. Some good talent on the roster there. 

Well, then I'm wrong. I thought they had a much younger roster in terms of talent that still needed to be developed. I don't keep up with much outside of the Braves.

1 minute ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Well, then I'm wrong. I thought they had a much younger roster in terms of talent that still needed to be developed. I don't keep up with much outside of the Braves.

No, their roster this year was pretty comparable to the overall roster age of the Braves. Just a hair older. 

21 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Dansby should win. He was amazing this year.

12 hours ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Does this mean that all of the profits from the Braves essentially get reinvested into the team? If so, isn't that how the Yankees were built into the money spending powerhouse that they are now? For all of the crap Liberty gets, maybe their ownership is what we need to finally spend like the big market team that we know we are.

To some degree. They also pay down the debt incurred on the Battery, have capital expenditures, and all those non-baseball things that come with operating an entertainment thing. It doesn't just go to player salaries. 

23 hours ago, Malachore said:

Who did you vote for though?

Bogaerts. Honestly though, would be fine with any of them. Contracts obviously will come into it. I could see Willy Adames also being a possible trade target. Or they could just go with Arcia/Grissom and put that money to LF/DH, SP, and/or RP, but that feels unlikely. 

With the shift going away, I could see Swanson going for more cash than people think.

12 hours ago, K26dp said:

Bogaerts. Honestly though, would be fine with any of them. Contracts obviously will come into it. I could see Willy Adames also being a possible trade target. Or they could just go with Arcia/Grissom and put that money to LF/DH, SP, and/or RP, but that feels unlikely. 

With the shift going away, I could see Swanson going for more cash than people think.

I really hope they don't go with Arcia or Grissom at SS. I feel like that would be a massive downgrade, they would need to absolutely nail a LF and DH for that to not feel like a failure.

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

I really hope they don't go with Arcia or Grissom at SS. I feel like that would be a massive downgrade, they would need to absolutely nail a LF and DH for that to not feel like a failure.

Don’t think Orlando Arica was ever signed to be a starter, so I don’t have any concerns on that end.