Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

I felt all season long that had Freddie not "F'd" up and not sign the extension with the Braves, the Braves would have had the best record in baseball and still be playing. I'd like to see the Braves trade Olson for Freeman. I know it won't happen but maybe Freddie or his wife could push for it. The Braves don't seem like the Braves without him.

On 10/15/2022 at 10:02 PM, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Some of our biggest concerns going into this offseason are:

1) Who is your 2023 starting SS? Dansby on a mega deal? If not him, you're getting another primo guy as Shewmake is probably not ready.

2) Who will be your DH? We had one of the worst production from a DH in MLB.

3) Who is your starting LF in 2023? Grissom? - Can he prove to play there competently? If not him, is he ready for a big role in 2023 or do you keep him down in the minors for a true upgrade?

Rosario? Had terrible production that can't all be blamed on the eyes. Was a 2021 postseason hero, but is probably better suited as a backup. Plus, plays less than stellar defense.

4) What do you do with Ozuna? He's a textbook DH guy who suffered his worst season yet. He's older and had well-publicized legal issues that may still get him kicked off the team. If you can't get rid of him, he's a DH only - and he can't be depended on there it seems. 

5) Who is your 5th starter? You already have Fried/Wright/Strider as your Big Three. Morton was brought back (ugh!), so he's #4. So you have Soroka/Ian Anderson/Elder/Mueller battling it out. Will be interesting. Would have preferred us going a different direction than Morton, especially for $20M again, but whatevs.

6) Who fills out the bullpen? Yates comes back and probably Luke Jackson if we want him. Do you bring back Chavez? You got some strong, dependable guys back there (Iglesias, Minter), but could use maybe one more guy.

7) What role will Manny Pina, the catcher who is under contract for 2023, have? d'Arnaud and William Contreras are an amazing duo - perhaps the best in MLB.

😎 What of the bench? The Adrianzas and Heredias aren't gonna cut it. Moving guys like Rosario permanently there will help, but we could use some useful guys.

- Dansby is gone. If the Braves wanted him they would have signed him. This will turn into FF situation.

- Let Azuna go.

- Grissom showed potential but lost it

- Rosario was living off last year. 

Hank Aaron Award finalists were announced. There's 8 from each league

NL: Alonso, Arenado, Betts, Freeman, Goldschmidt, Machado, Schwarber and Austin Riley. 

The Award is the MLB version of Offensive player of the year. 

28 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Hank Aaron Award finalists were announced. There's 8 from each league

NL: Alonso, Arenado, Betts, Freeman, Goldschmidt, Machado, Schwarber and Austin Riley. 

The Award is the MLB version of Offensive player of the year. 

Leaders in wOBA:

Goldschmidt ✔️
Freeman ✔️
Machado ✔️
Arenado ✔️
Riley ✔️
Soto
Betts ✔️
Alonso ✔️
McNeil
Marte
Schwarber ✔️

35 minutes ago, For the A said:

Is Dansby considered a Free agent now or will he be considered one after the World Series. Looking to see if AA does have the upper hand and still can talk to him. 

All contracts are valid until the day after the final out of the World Series. At that time all contracts that expire after 2022 will be just that, expired. They cannot talk to teams other than their 2022 team until 5 days after that though. So from now until 5 days after a champion is crowned, AA is the only one in Dansby's ear. 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Read somewhere we want a top 5 payroll now after losing early. BRING ON DEGROM, BOGARTES, DIAZ AND BRING BACK DANSBY TOO

43 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

You're going to have to post a link now. That's pretty exciting news if true.

Fine, I'll post.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/braves-executive-wants-top-five-payroll-after-atlantas-early-exit-from-playoffs/

The Atlanta Braves were eliminated from the postseason over the weekend by the Philadelphia Phillies, dashing their dreams of becoming Major League Baseball's first repeat champion in more than two decades. Predictably, the Braves have shifted their focus to the offseason. Team chairman Terry McGuirk even established a new goal recently during an interview with Justin Toscano of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: increasing the team's payroll further so that it ranks in the top five in the majors.

For context, McGuirk had previously said fielding a top-10 payroll was his goal. The Braves have since accomplished that feat, as they ranked eighth in that respect in 2022, spending just over $200 million, according to Spotrac's calculations. That isn't enough for McGuirk, however, who told Toscano: "My goal now is to get to be a top-five (payroll) team."

While McGuirk didn't say that would necessarily be the case for the 2023 season, the Braves are currently projected to have the fourth-highest payroll for next year, again per Spotrac's numbers. There are some obvious caveats worth establishing about that ranking. Foremost, it's just a projection. Some of the teams ranked directly below the Braves are heavy hitters -- the Los Angeles Dodgers, Houston Astros, and New York Yankees -- who are likely to scale up their payrolls as they either re-sign key players (e.g., Aaron Judge, Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander), or add external replacements through free agency and/or trade.

Of course, that's true for the Braves to some extent, too. Shortstop Dansby Swanson is an impending free agent, but the two sides have expressed public interest in a long-term deal to keep him in Atlanta. Even if Swanson were to leave, the Braves could attempt to replace him by pursuing another notable free-agent shortstop, be it Carlos Correa, Trea Turner, or potentially Xander Bogaerts.

Whatever shape the Braves' offseason takes, it appears that upper-management is on board with spending some more money in pursuit of another World Series title. 

McGuirk is the defacto owner of the Braves. He's the one who sets the budget and finances so if he wants it, that's a pretty good sign that he's willing to spend a little this winter. 

We know in Q2 alone the Braves had $260M in revenue. That doesn't include the stretch run of the final two months and playoff revenue from the 2 games. The Braves have plenty of money. 

33 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

McGuirk is the defacto owner of the Braves. He's the one who sets the budget and finances so if he wants it, that's a pretty good sign that he's willing to spend a little this winter. 

We know in Q2 alone the Braves had $260M in revenue. That doesn't include the stretch run of the final two months and playoff revenue from the 2 games. The Braves have plenty of money. 

Which is great.

I just hope that AA continues to be smart about spending it.

So far he has been spot on with everything except the Ozuna deal

It is going to be interesting to see what the Braves do and what completely under the radar deal that he pulls off.

41 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I think there are a couple of factors that makes him want to spend the money. 

1. If they spend the money and put a competitive team on the field fans will come and spend money. Bigger profit. 

2. I believe winning the WS last year put that taste in his mouth, so to speak, of how much fun that was and how great the feeling was.  

3. Also not sure how much of the profits Liberty can keep. So it could be if they have the money to spend might as well spend it. 

Edited by For the A

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Which is great.

I just hope that AA continues to be smart about spending it.

So far he has been spot on with everything except the Ozuna deal

It is going to be interesting to see what the Braves do and what completely under the radar deal that he pulls off.

Can’t really fault him for Ozuna’s contract. I don’t think there was anyone here who didn’t want to sign him after the season he had. Ozuna just hasn’t held up his end of the deal. 

Just now, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Can’t really fault him for Ozuna’s contract. I don’t think there was anyone here who didn’t want to sign him after the season he had. Ozuna just hasn’t held up his end of the deal. 

Agreed.

Not hating on AA for that.... virtually every one wanted Ozuna back.

And he  got what seemed like a good deal at the time.

33 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I wonder if there is any chance at 

Ohtani?

He seems to be frustrated and this is LA's last year of control 

He wants to win and I think that he would enjoy playing with the guys that the Braves have.

Well, he’s under contract for $30M this year and I think he hits unrestricted free agency after this coming season. Depending on what the Braves do this off-season, he could be in play, but it’d depend on the years he’d want is my guess. 

7 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Well, he’s under contract for $30M this year and I think he hits unrestricted free agency after this coming season. Depending on what the Braves do this off-season, he could be in play, but it’d depend on the years he’d want is my guess. 

I'm just guessing here, but I'd expect him to want to remain on the West Coast. Most Japanese players prefer to play closer to home and in places where their families can watch the games.

51 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm just guessing here, but I'd expect him to want to remain on the West Coast. Most Japanese players prefer to play closer to home and in places where their families can watch the games.

You’re probably right. That puts the Dodgers, Mariners and Giants in play. Don’t see how it isn’t one of those three. 

Edited by NashvilleFalcon01

1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

So he would be a one year Rental ala Donaldson.

Seems like just the kind of deal that AA likes.

I dont see a team trading for Ohtani just because of the massive amount of prospects you would have to give. The Braves would also have to dip deep into the MLB roster to make it happen. You'd certainly have to deal Harris and probably Strider. He's likely going to play this year in LA and then walk as a FA or be traded in July when his value is slightly lower because he's only a partial rental. Here were his comments made just recently. 

On Tuesday, Ohtani arrived home in his Japan where he spoke with reporters, including Koji Ueda of the Associated Press. This time, he not only reiterated his commitment to winning, but explicitly stated his disappointment with the Angels’ inability to win. Speaking in Japanese, Ohtani said that “August and September in particular felt longer to me than last year” because the Angels “were not able to play as many good games as we would like — including 14 consecutive losses. So I have a rather negative impression of this season.”