Jump to content

Braves Offseason Thread


Unknøwn
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Lot depends on luxury tax. We're about $40M away before arbitration. DeGrom would take up everything left at $35-40M a year. 

I have to wonder if the ownership would be willing to go over the luxury tax for a seaon if it means getting a guy like the de Grom.

And you have to wonder if Fried would take a bit less in order to help facilitate that.

Do they renegotiate contracts in baseball like they do in the nfl?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I have to wonder if the ownership would be willing to go over the luxury tax for a seaon if it means getting a guy like the de Grom.

And you have to wonder if Fried would take a bit less in order to help facilitate that.

Do they renegotiate contracts in baseball like they do in the nfl?

 

I could see them allowing AA to go a little over the CBT. It’s a 20% tax the first year going over as long as they stay below $20 million. If teams go over by $20 - 40 million then it’s an additional 12% and their are higher taxes for going over more and some higher ones for consecutive years. So if the Braves went over by $10 million they would pay a tax of $2 million. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, go and get DeGrom for one or two year deal. But make his signing the first out of anyone if possible. That way we can entice players to consider signing with us when they know we’ve prioritized elite pitching — a perfect recipe for a championship run. I honestly think AA is gonna give DeGrom a serious thought — regardless if we get him or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I have to wonder if the ownership would be willing to go over the luxury tax for a seaon if it means getting a guy like the de Grom.

And you have to wonder if Fried would take a bit less in order to help facilitate that.

Do they renegotiate contracts in baseball like they do in the nfl?

 

They could renegotiate if the player was willing. Chipper did it pretty often to give the team more money. One thing you could say about Chipper was he never did it for the max money. He left a lot on the table. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ATLBham said:

IMO, go and get DeGrom for one or two year deal. But make his signing the first out of anyone if possible. That way we can entice players to consider signing with us when they know we’ve prioritized elite pitching — a perfect recipe for a championship run. I honestly think AA is gonna give DeGrom a serious thought — regardless if we get him or not. 

I fully believe AA is always in on anyone willing to take a phone call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I fully believe AA is always in on anyone willing to take a phone call.

Agreed. I really believe players are seeing how good we’re built, and they’ll want to be part of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DeGrom, Swanson, Bellinger (For LF), and a LH reliever are on my wish list. I'd love to see an Ozuna/Soler swap too

 

I'm a big believer in Bellinger as a bounce back candidate, assuming Dodgers non-tender him, and his defense is elite

Rotation of 

Fried

DeGrom

Strider

Wright

Morton

 

 

Acuña 

Swanson

Olson

Riley

Albies

D'arnaud

Harris

DH

Bellinger

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jidady said:

(Okay, I'll happily take back any of the Baby Braves like Kimbrel, Freeman, or Heyward, too.)

No thanks to Kimbrel or Heyward. Looking forward to those guys coming back after they decide to hang them up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MLB's Zachary Rymer proposed a trade between Arizona and Atlanta that would send Marcell Ozuna to Arizona in return for Madison Bumgarner, Nick Ahmed, and cash considerations.  Ozuna is still owed $36 million over the next two seasons, plus a $16 million option for 2025 that includes a $1 million buyout.  Bumgarner is owed $37 million over the next two seasons and has a limited non-trade clause.  Ahmed is owed over $10.4 million in 2023 in the final year of his contract. He missed most of last season after undergoing shoulder surgery to remove 2 bone spurs and had his labrum repaired. He began limited workouts in September and is expected to be ready for spring training.  One of Arizona's top infield prospects, Blaze Alexander, is expected to compete for the starting shortstop position in 2023.

I'm not sold on a possible Ahmed/Grissom platoon (assuming Swanson walks). But I do think Blaze Alexander is a great baseball name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

MLB's Zachary Rymer proposed a trade between Arizona and Atlanta that would send Marcell Ozuna to Arizona in return for Madison Bumgarner, Nick Ahmed, and cash considerations.  Ozuna is still owed $36 million over the next two seasons, plus a $16 million option for 2025 that includes a $1 million buyout.  Bumgarner is owed $37 million over the next two seasons and has a limited non-trade clause.  Ahmed is owed over $10.4 million in 2023 in the final year of his contract. He missed most of last season after undergoing shoulder surgery to remove 2 bone spurs and had his labrum repaired. He began limited workouts in September and is expected to be ready for spring training.  One of Arizona's top infield prospects, Blaze Alexander, is expected to compete for the starting shortstop position in 2023.

I'm not sold on a possible Ahmed/Grissom platoon (assuming Swanson walks). But I do think Blaze Alexander is a great baseball name.

Blaze Alexander is also the brother of former Braves prospect C.J. Alexander, FWIW. 

Honestly, would rather just cut Ozuna. If we made this trade, I'd want to cut Bumgarner, and I don't love acquiring a shortstop who's shoulder has just been surgically repaired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

MLB's Zachary Rymer proposed a trade between Arizona and Atlanta that would send Marcell Ozuna to Arizona in return for Madison Bumgarner, Nick Ahmed, and cash considerations.  Ozuna is still owed $36 million over the next two seasons, plus a $16 million option for 2025 that includes a $1 million buyout.  Bumgarner is owed $37 million over the next two seasons and has a limited non-trade clause.  Ahmed is owed over $10.4 million in 2023 in the final year of his contract. He missed most of last season after undergoing shoulder surgery to remove 2 bone spurs and had his labrum repaired. He began limited workouts in September and is expected to be ready for spring training.  One of Arizona's top infield prospects, Blaze Alexander, is expected to compete for the starting shortstop position in 2023.

I'm not sold on a possible Ahmed/Grissom platoon (assuming Swanson walks). But I do think Blaze Alexander is a great baseball name.

This is somehow worse than just keeping Ozuna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Blaze Alexander is also the brother of former Braves prospect C.J. Alexander, FWIW. 

Honestly, would rather just cut Ozuna. If we made this trade, I'd want to cut Bumgarner, and I don't love acquiring a shortstop who's shoulder has just been surgically repaired. 

I agree.  The best that can be said about Bumgarner is he can usually give you 5 innings, any more than that and he implodes.  But 5 inning starters aren't that hard to find, so Arizona would have to kick in a lot of cash for that to work.  And having both Bumgarner and Morton in the rotation is a disaster waiting to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just as a template, this is what the 2023 40-man roster would look like if they don't sign any free agents and keep everyone else under control (w/salary in millions) and with additions from the minor leagues. (~ indicates projected arbitration salary)

1B Olson 21
2B Albies 7
3B Riley 15
SS Grissom 0.7
LF Rosario 9
CF Harris 5
RF Acuna 17
C d'Arnaud 8
DH Contreras 0.8

C Pina 4.5
OF Ozuna 16
IF Arcia 1.3
OF Heredia ~1.1

SP Fried ~12.2
SP Morton 20
SP Strider 1
SP Wright 0.8
SP Soroka ~2.8

RP Iglesias 16
RP Minter ~5
RP McHugh 5
RP Yates 6
RP Stephens 0.7
RP Lee 0.7
RP Odorizzi 12.5
RP Bracho ~0.9

***

C Tromp 0.8
IF Bannon .1141
P Matzek 1.8
P Muller .1141
P Elder .1141
P Ynoa .1141
P Anderson .1141
P Woods .1141
P Tarnok .1141
P Rangel .1141
P Wilson .0572
P Vines .0572
P Vodnik .0572
IF Shewmake .0572

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm not touching Bumgarner. It'll be 4 years since he had an ERA below 4 when next season starts. His FIP also tells you its not the defense, its just Bumgarner getting roughed up. I understand what they were trying to do with the trade scenario but no. Just salary dump Ozuna if you can or cut him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Just as a template, this is what the 2023 40-man roster would look like if they don't sign any free agents and keep everyone else under control (w/salary in millions) and with additions from the minor leagues. (~ indicates projected arbitration salary)

1B Olson 21
2B Albies 7
3B Riley 15
SS Grissom 0.7
LF Rosario 9
CF Harris 5
RF Acuna 17
C d'Arnaud 8
DH Contreras 0.8

C Pina 4.5
OF Ozuna 16
IF Arcia 1.3
OF Heredia ~1.1

SP Fried ~12.2
SP Morton 20
SP Strider 1
SP Wright 0.8
SP Soroka ~2.8

RP Iglesias 16
RP Minter ~5
RP McHugh 5
RP Yates 6
RP Stephens 0.7
RP Lee 0.7
RP Odorizzi 12.5
RP Bracho ~0.9

***

C Tromp 0.8
IF Bannon .1141
P Matzek 1.8
P Muller .1141
P Elder .1141
P Ynoa .1141
P Anderson .1141
P Woods .1141
P Tarnok .1141
P Rangel .1141
P Wilson .0572
P Vines .0572
P Vodnik .0572
IF Shewmake .0572

What’s your honest opinion on Soroka’s role next year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

What’s your honest opinion on Soroka’s role next year?

He'll be a starting pitcher next year. The question really is will it be with Atlanta or another team.

From what I saw, there's nothing medically preventing him from taking a spot in the rotation given a normal offseason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

BTW, DOB is convinced that Odorizzi takes the $6.5M player buy-out and becomes a free agent. I really hope that is the case, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

The pitching market would need to be insane for that to be a viable business decision for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

BTW, DOB is convinced that Odorizzi takes the $6.5M player buy-out and becomes a free agent. I really hope that is the case, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

That would be shocking. You don't see guys who just posted a negative WAR opt out too often 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...