NLDS: Phillies vs Braves

Unknøwn

Looking back at the stats. Braves had 1 base runner all day. They faced the Phillies #4 SP in essentially a bullpen game and got 1 base runner. They had 3 HRs but all solo and 0 walks. Arcia's single was the only runner. We knew the offense was reliant on the HR coming in but I think they found out they were too reliant on the HR. Not enough guys stringing hits together. I'm sure AA will address that this winter. Need one or two guys that can just flat out hit regardless of power to rebalance the lineup. 

25 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Looking back at the stats. Braves had 1 base runner all day. They faced the Phillies #4 SP in essentially a bullpen game and got 1 base runner. They had 3 HRs but all solo and 0 walks. Arcia's single was the only runner. We knew the offense was reliant on the HR coming in but I think they found out they were too reliant on the HR. Not enough guys stringing hits together. I'm sure AA will address that this winter. Need one or two guys that can just flat out hit regardless of power to rebalance the lineup. 

The braves were not patient at all.... It would be 2-0 and then they would swing at something way off of the plate and hit a tapper or a easy pop up.

40 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Not really sure how they could fix that. Yes they could fill SS, DH and LF but I think they platoon Contreras and TDA at DH with Pina coming back and carry 3 catchers.

They fill SS with Dansby (?) who is the furthest thing from a pure hitter and don't think they have much left over for a LF.

Most logical answer at SS is Turner but I doubt he gets away from LAD or NYY.

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Not really sure how they could fix that. Yes they could fill SS, DH and LF but I think they platoon Contreras and TDA at DH with Pina coming back and carry 3 catchers.

They fill SS with Dansby (?) who is the furthest thing from a pure hitter and don't think they have much left over for a LF.

One way they could possibly fix the issue is get away from launch angle and focus more on putting bat to ball. The HR will come when you try to hit line drives. 

13 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I wonder if they could trade Pina for a couple prospects.

With Contreras's improvement he should take over more of the catching duty's 

10 minutes ago, For the A said:

One way they could possibly fix the issue is get away from launch angle and focus more on putting bat to ball. The HR will come when you try to hit line drives. 

I don't think you can simply change a team wide philosophy just like that. Especially when it's been ingrained into these guys for basically their entire careers.

15 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I wonder if they could trade Pina for a couple prospects.

With Contreras's improvement he should take over more of the catching duty's 

He definitely should, I just see them going that route especially if they go after one of the SS FAs.

They need a LF as well, that's alot of money ontop of needing a few arms.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

It’s the plate approach  that powered a 101-team so an overhaul probably isn’t necessary.  Recall how everyone was saying the Mets lack of power killed them down the stretch. 

They were pressing.  After the Mets sweep the team just seemed off.  The final series in Miami was a slog and the issues with Fried and Strider didn’t help. These guys are human.  Stuff started going off the rails and they tried to force it.  That’s how slumps start.  

Long term the Braves are fine and I’m confident we’ll see another title within the next four years.  This just wasn’t their week.  

4 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

It’s the plate approach  that powered a 101-team so an overhaul probably isn’t necessary.  Recall how everyone was saying the Mets lack of power killed them down the stretch. 

They were pressing.  After the Mets sweep the team just seemed off.  The final series in Miami was a slog and the issues with Fried and Strider didn’t help. These guys are human.  Stuff started going off the rails and they tried to force it.  That’s how slumps start.  

Long term the Braves are fine and I’m confident we’ll see another title within the next four years.  This just wasn’t their week.  

Yup.

It isn't so much that they tried to hit homers...it is that they tried to hit everything.

Even the Homer that Arcia had was way up and in.

Had they had a more normal approach, they probably get 4 or 5 walks today.

18 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

They don't need an overhaul but they also don't need a lineup full of 3 true outcome guys.

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Had they had a more normal approach, they probably get 4 or 5 walks today.

And the strike zone didn't help. It was inconsistent, which is the most maddening thing for hitters. As long as you call the same pitches strikes/balls, hitters can adjust.

Thankfully, we'll get automated balls and strikes soon enough.

10 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Yeah but if Acuña was hustling towards it, it’s likely not a Homer 

10 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

The ball bounced to the right.

The RF's job is to prevent exactly what happened.

10 hours ago, Spts1 said:

BOTH Rosario and Acuna failed to hustle on that play.  The INITIAL backup is Rosario on a ball hit to left centerfield.  When the ball kicked out unexpectedly over to Acuna,  Acuna's non hustle became a part of the play also.  I'm just pointing out that both outfielders were at fault there.

On the replay I just saw on SC, Rosario was hustling over there by Harris doing his job. He clearly was running toward the ball at the crack of the bat. Acuna just stood there watching until it bounced off the wall, and they pointed that out.

"Take a look at Ronald Acuna in right field...he gets caught watching the ball and when it goes off the wall that's when he runs to it."

1 hour ago, jidady said:

And the strike zone didn't help. It was inconsistent, which is the most maddening thing for hitters. As long as you call the same pitches strikes/balls, hitters can adjust.

Thankfully, we'll get automated balls and strikes soon enough.

No doubt.

An inconsistent strike zone absolutely makes a huge difference in approaches.

Our guys got some calls but nothing like the Phillies got.

The Contreras and Swanson would be walks that turned into strikes were big momentum changes.

7 hours ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Don't need an overhaul. Just think we could benefit from adding a guy that would irritate the pitcher a little bit. Get that pitch count up and work some ABs. 

Just now, tl;dr said:

Ehhh, it just exposed how far Saban has fallen IMO. He’s still the goat, but he’s gotten soft. Not saying it’s time for him to leave, but he’s gotta make some adjustments

I honestly think he's nearing the end. He won't give up but I could see him riding off into the sunset in the near future. Maybe if they get one more title in the next couple of seasons, he'll ride off on top. 

6 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I honestly think he's nearing the end. He won't give up but I could see him riding off into the sunset in the near future. Maybe if they get one more title in the next couple of seasons, he'll ride off on top. 

Whew I’m not sure when that next title will even be. I don’t see us winning it this year. We lose A LOT next year too and won’t have Superman to bail us out in close games. Plus Saban won’t do the necessary think and get rid of Golding and BoB. I could be wrong, but unless they find a way this year (they won’t), I don’t think a title is coming back to Tuscaloosa anytime soon 

Is anyone else concerned that removing the shift will amplify this team’ problems even further? I’m wondering if the lack of contact will become even more apparent when just putting the ball in play and having it find a hole  for much more than hitting for power. Also, guys like Wright and Fried who pitch more to contact, this can’t be good for them either, right?

6 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Is anyone else concerned that removing the shift will amplify this team’ problems even further? I’m wondering if the lack of contact will become even more apparent when just putting the ball in play and having it find a hole  for much more than hitting for power. Also, guys like Wright and Fried who pitch more to contact, this can’t be good for them either, right?

Just amplifies defense even more. Guys like Dansby will be even more valuable because of range. You're going to need guys with range again. You can still shift them closer to the 2B bag they just go by it and can't go to the grass. Someone like Dansby could still shift closer to the bag and cover the middle. So you can still fill holes to a degree, just not 4 guys on the left side like the Phillies were essentially doing to Olson. To me the biggest impact is going to be the pickoff limit. Pitchers are only allowed 2 throws to a base now. After that the runner has free roam and the bases are bigger. Acuna, Albies, Dansby and Harris might all steal 30+ bases next year. 

48 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Just amplifies defense even more. Guys like Dansby will be even more valuable because of range. You're going to need guys with range again. You can still shift them closer to the 2B bag they just go by it and can't go to the grass. Someone like Dansby could still shift closer to the bag and cover the middle. So you can still fill holes to a degree, just not 4 guys on the left side like the Phillies were essentially doing to Olson. To me the biggest impact is going to be the pickoff limit. Pitchers are only allowed 2 throws to a base now. After that the runner has free roam and the bases are bigger. Acuna, Albies, Dansby and Harris might all steal 30+ bases next year. 

I think you’ll only see pitchers throw over once most of the time.  Leave that other throw in their pocket to never give the runner that free lead. 

I don’t like the throw over rule, but there are plenty of times pitchers use it to waste time, let someone warm up, or don’t want to pitch home.  There are legitimate needs to throw over more than twice though with a speedy base runner so that part I don’t like.  Pitchers picking off base runners may go the way of the dodo. 

8 minutes ago, dmite said:

I think you’ll only see pitchers throw over once most of the time.  Leave that other throw in their pocket to never give the runner that free lead. 

The experiment of limited pickoffs in the minors led to an increase of 3 steals per game. It's a cat and mouse for sure cause the runner knows the limit and will know the pitcher doesn't want to make that second throw. It will probably bring back the catcher to 1B throw. I'd be working on that a lot during Spring.