Braves @ Marlins

Unknøwn

Here we are, already the final series of the regular season. Pretty remarkable how time flew. As you all know the Braves magic number is 1. After the Mets series I would expect most of the key bullpen arms to be unavailable on Monday. If Elder does his thing again though it may not matter that much. 

Monday, 6:40, Bally

Elder (2-3, 2.76) vs Luzardo (3-7, 3.53)

Tuesday, 6:40, Bally

TBD vs Garrett (3-6, 3.56)

Wednesday, 4:10, Bally

TBD vs TBD

Braves will likely wait to see if Tuesday and Wednesday or meaningful games before naming a starter. If the division is wrapped up tonight, you can throw anyone out there and begin resting. I would not be surprised if Fried got a little bit or work on Wednesday. With the bye the NLDS doesn't begin until October 11th. So there's room to give him a little bit of work. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

A few more notes, Alcantara was supposed to pitch Wednesday but the Marlins already announced he will not. They're ending his season now. Also, this is Mattingly's final games as manager of the Marlins. 

They didn’t want the Braves to beat up on him again and risk losing the Cy Young. 

44 minutes ago, dmite said:

They didn’t want the Braves to beat up on him again and risk losing the Cy Young. 

That's actually probably part of it. He's had an absolutely spectacular season. They owe it to him to cement the Cy, not that one bad start would take it away. Especially considering he would probably be facing a lineup consisting of Adrianza, Heredia, Ozuna and Grossman. 

58 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

That's actually probably part of it. He's had an absolutely spectacular season. They owe it to him to cement the Cy, not that one bad start would take it away. Especially considering he would probably be facing a lineup consisting of Adrianza, Heredia, Ozuna and Grossman. 

Julio Urias has the best numbers but nearly 60 innings less pitched.  I haven’t heard any mention of him in this race, maybe that’s why. 

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Hopefully every regular sees this, but regardless of what happens in this series, if anyone besides @Unknøwn starts a playoff thread, they should get the mob treatment.

LOL remember last year when a mod started the game thread and we were like no thanks.

So they made it over on TAFT. 😂

5 hours ago, Malachore said:

Hopfully they stay focused and get this wrapped up tonight. Would hate from them to lose site after that amazing series to all but ice it.

Indeed hopefully they come out win tonight and get the division wrapped up and then go on cruise control for the next two games resting as many important guys as we can.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

But that does bring up a good question...given that the Braves assuming they win the division are going to have quite a long layoff..... Do they still play the everyday starters all three games?

I think if they win tonight they stagger guys the next 2 days.

I think resting the arms are the best choice, let the everyday players make the choice for themselves which Snit will probably do.

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

Reddit Gold from a Mets forum

r/NewYorkMets

Our WC path is ridiculous

We’re about to win 100 games, and we get stuck playing the Padres, then the Dodgers, then the Braves, just to get to the World Series. That’s the hardest path possible!

I tried to make a positive post there overnight, and I got downvoted into oblivion. They mad.

12 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

But that does bring up a good question...given that the Braves assuming they win the division are going to have quite a long layoff..... Do they still play the everyday starters all three games?

You don't have a choice really. You can't have 40 guys in the dugout anymore. So some regulars will have to play. That's why I expect Fried to pitch about 3 innings on Wednesday. Just to keep him in routine cause Game 1 of the NLDS will be an extra day of rest for him anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I think if they win tonight they stagger guys the next 2 days.

I think resting the arms are the best choice, let the everyday players make the choice for themselves which Snit will probably do.

I think they play today and perhaps some of tomorrow. Definitely not the last day of the season. I think Grossman, Heredia, Ozuna, Grissom, Adrianza all see time this series. I don't know if the Braves have a third catcher (Tromp?), but he'll see time too. I think the only regulars that may play all three games are Riley and/or Olson.

28 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I dont know where Strider is in his recovery but if he's better, he's eligible to come off the IL on Wednesday. You could get him 2 or 3 innings to essentially serve as a rehab assignment. 

Hearing absolutely nothing about him makes me worried he won't be back.

Hopfully he can pitch some Wednesday because missing nearly a month then pitching in the playoffs doesn't usually work out.

13 minutes ago, VNlanta said:

Strider should be fine. Probably one of those phantom IL. But Elder has really surprised me; hope he makes it for playoffs 

He strained his oblique, it's not a phantom IL stint to get him rest.

24 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Slightly 000.1% anxious that this doesnt go till Wednesday only because we dont really know what's going on with the starting rotation after Elder and the high leverage bull pen just racked up a ton of innings 

I guess Max Fried would go in the season finale so we have that going for us. I could see Kyle Muller getting the start. I don't want Odorizzi pitching again unless the division is already clinched.