Mets @ Braves

Unknøwn

Here we go, biggest games of the entire season. To stay alive the Braves have to win 2 of 3. At worst the Braves need to go 5-1 and have the Mets finish 3-3. The Mets finish with 3 vs the Nats, Braves with 3 in Miami. If the Braves sweep, they'd leave with a 2 game lead and the tiebreaker. A sweep would mean the Braves would have to be swept in Miami and the Mets would have to sweep DC for the Mets to win. 

The hurricane is staying east. Forecast looks good for all 3 games. 

Friday, 7:20, Bally/MLB Network

Bassitt (15-8, 3.27) vs Fried (13-7, 2.50)

Saturday, 7:20, Fox

deGrom (5-3, 2.93) vs Wright (20-5, 3.18)

Sunday, 7:00, ESPN

Scherzer (11-4, 2.13) vs Morton (9-6, 4.29)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is it. On any ordinary series, I'll be happy to take 2 out of 3, but with the tiebreaker looming over our heads... we have to have a sweep in order to have full control of our division. Winning 2 out of 3 ties us up but gives Mets the advantage due to tiebreaker. We're in a bind here.

No matter what happens here, I'm still proud of our team. Going 74-32 after our dismal 23-27 start is a pretty incredible accomplishment. A chance to be a 100-win team. Let's go and get our fifth division in a row!

Mets ace Jacob deGrom gets massive update as crucial series with Braves looms (msn.com)

The New York Mets will face the Atlanta Braves beginning Friday in a series that will surely determine the National League East. And the Mets will kick off that series by sending veteran ace Jacob deGrom to the mound.

Mets manager Buck Showalter revealed Wednesday night that deGrom’s next start would be moved up to Friday night. This news came on the heels of a walk-off 5-4 victory over the Miami Marlins.

The Mets enter the series against the Braves with a one-game lead over the defending World Series champions. Both teams have qualified for the postseason. The only question is who will enter play in October as division champion.

This moved-up start obviously offers a chance at redemption for deGrom. His previous start came against the Oakland Athletics. In four innings, deGrom gave up five runs on six hits, striking out five while walking four batters.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Taking two of three leaves them tied. Sweeping would have them up two. 

Hold on. Let me see where I got my number from.  They are 1 game behind today.  If they win 1 game in the series, that leaves them two games behind. If they win two games in the series that should leave them 1 game up, correct?  If they sweep thats two games up, we agree there.

14 minutes ago, dmite said:

Only way they can sweep is to implement an aggressive drag bunt initiative. 

We definitely agree there ( Contreras vs Acuna thing aside, lol).  I was saying this same thing in the series up in New York that Harris and Swanson in particular should use their speed to try and drag bunt against the Mets top pitchers.

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

Maybe the last time these two future teammates match up against each other!

The Braves are already the most complete team in baseball and now you trying to turn them into the Georgia Bulldogs, lol.  No mercy, talent everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Hold on. Let me see where I got my number from.  They are 1 game behind today.  If they win 1 game in the series, that leaves them two games behind. If they win two games in the series that should leave them 1 game up, correct?  If they sweep thats two games up, we agree there.

If they win 1 game and lose two, that’s a net if -1 game, leaving them two back. If they win two, that’s a net of +1 game, leaving them tied. If they sweep, that’s a net of +3 games, leaving them up 2. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

If they win 1 game and lose two, that’s a net if -1 game, leaving them two back. If they win two, that’s a net of +1 game, leaving them tied. If they sweep, that’s a net of +3 games, leaving them up 2. 

If the Braves win Friday, they are tied.  Thats one game.  If they win Saturday, thats a 1 game lead with two wins. If they lose Sunday, they stay at one game up. What I'm i missing there? lol. hold up. You are correct, lol.  They will be tied with two wins, my bad.

Mets tweaked their rotation by the way. It's actually

deGrom vs Fried

Scherzer vs Wright

Bassitt vs Morton

Bassitt was pushed back and deGrom and Scherzer bumped up to matchup with the Braves top 2. Mets had 2 off days this week, more rest and flexibility to alter things.