Looks like Mariota isn't doing so bad as of now.

This is a chart for "Adjusted Net Yards / Att Entering Week 4" I stole it from reddit link is below. Mariota EPA is way above the median, and he is just above the median in Adjusted Net Yards. Which means he is playing better than at least half the starting QBs.

If he can fix his turnover issue (which I doubt he will) he might get the Falcons into the playoffs (also serious doubt). I've been calling him trash this year but the numbers don't lie, so I'll quit calling for Ridder as of now. According to the chart he is in the second tier of QBs this season, which isn't bad, it is the turnovers that are killing us and if he keeps making them I'm back on my Ridder BS.

Edited by FalconsFanSince194eva

1 hour ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

This is a chart for "Adjusted Net Yards / Att Entering Week 4" I stole it from reddit link is below. Mariota EPA is way above the median, and he is just above the median in Adjusted Net Yards. Which means he is playing better than at least half the starting QBs.

If he can fix his turnover issue (which I doubt he will) he might get the Falcons into the playoffs (also serious doubt). I've been calling him trash this year but the numbers don't lie, so I'll quit calling for Ridder as of now. According to the chart he is in the second tier of QBs this season, which isn't bad, it is the turnovers that are killing us and if he keeps making them I'm back on my Ridder BS.

his best game was against the Seahawks for sure but he still has to work on ball placement (possibly), progressing through reads (won't) and the fumbles (lol)

This will turn into a MR thread if it makes it to page 3.

One thing to keep in mind is epa/p doesn’t account for turnovers as they consider that metric too easily skewed due to luck.  Since epa/p is based off a plays result vs watching tape and determining that, the data is normally either thrown out or very heavily weighted down to almost nothing.  

If you take that into account it likely puts him closer to the middle of the group, which imo is where he is playing, and that’s by far better than I expected coming into the year so I still think it’s worth being somewhat excited about, and if he can clean that up it will be really exciting, but I just wanted to add some context for anyone that didn’t know that about the turnover piece.

25 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Technically Fields is worse. This is where he'd be if he was on the chart. Amazing that the Bears are 2-1

UcErMLK.jpg

Fields’ career was probably over before it began because of going to a completely dysfunctional Bears’ team, that going into his second season with a new coach and GM still utterly failed to bring in any offensive help for him. 

Doesn’t mean he would have been good, or even serviceable, anywhere else, but he landed in a bum situation. 

12 minutes ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

Fields’ career was probably over before it began because of going to a completely dysfunctional Bears’ team, that going into his second season with a new coach and GM still utterly failed to bring in any offensive help for him. 

Doesn’t mean he would have been good, or even serviceable, anywhere else, but he landed in a bum situation. 

I actually liked him a lot coming out last year. If we nab him in the 2nd he's probably starting for us this year and looks completely different. Instead, likely he's another Geno Smith who'll have to pray for a good situation down the line because he seems pretty much ******. Said that as soon as he landed with Gase

Shocker , you mean Mariota is actually playing good ??

I just wonder if fans would have had a problem with Ryan throwing that pass to Edwards.  

A lot of Ryan’s deep balls were 50/50, Mariota was simply giving his guy a chance to get the ball. He let Ramsey outwork and outhustle him on that INT.

He had the hops because his hands were almost on the ball, he just mistimed his jump 

11 minutes ago, caponine said:

I just wonder if fans would have had a problem with Ryan throwing that pass to Edwards.  

A lot of Ryan’s deep balls were 50/50, Mariota was simply giving his guy a chance to get the ball. He let Ramsey outwork and outhustle him on that INT.

He had the hops because his hands were almost on the ball, he just mistimed his jump 

Yes, because it was into double coverage. It was less 50/50 and more 66 2/3 to 33 1/3.

Edited by Banana Bandit

14 minutes ago, caponine said:

1. Doesn’t matter how good you play if you turn the ball over consistently. 

2. Yes if Joe Montana threw that ball I would be angry. 

3. No he didn’t let Ramsey out work him, first of all Ramsey is a top 3 Db, maybe even #1. You don’t throw a jump ball over the head to your 4 or 5 option being guarded by a top 3 Db. 

8 hours ago, Lethal said:

lol bottom left corner…oh Matt.  Not like this.

I have watched those Colts games and while it not all on them that Oline is acting like they are beneficiaries of Matts life insurance.

8 hours ago, Williamb said:

I've called him trash entirely because of the turnovers and their timing along with failure to see wide open recievers. Otherwise I think he has performed pretty well. He's definitely added a needed spark.

Other than the fumbles and turn overs I think Mariota is doing what he needs to do to win ball games. But I'm pretty sure this team is 2-1 maybe 3-0 if Mariota takes better care of the ball in the first 2 games. If the trend continues and he can't fix these issues I think we should see what Ridder can do. 

24 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

1. Doesn’t matter how good you play if you turn the ball over consistently. 

2. Yes if Joe Montana threw that ball I would be angry. 

3. No he didn’t let Ramsey out work him, first of all Ramsey is a top 3 Db, maybe even #1. You don’t throw a jump ball over the head to your 4 or 5 option being guarded by a top 3 Db. 

So none of those to’s are on the line ,….

Ramsey being a top corner doesn’t really have anything to do with it. If you’re scared to throw the ball then you shouldn’t be a QB. He made a good pass, Edwards just didn’t want it enough. 

17 minutes ago, caponine said:

Everything was covered though , 

That makes it even worse! It's not like it was the last play of the game. There was plenty of time on the clock and chains to move. Throw the ball away and live to fight another down.

Minutes left on the clock and you take an unnecessary shot that's double covered and more likely to hurt the team than help it. I don't care who throws that pass, they're getting the flak on that one.

19 minutes ago, caponine said:

So none of those to’s are on the line ,….

Ramsey being a top corner doesn’t really have anything to do with it. If you’re scared to throw the ball then you shouldn’t be a QB. He made a good pass, Edwards just didn’t want it enough. 

The pass was not good, and if Edwards is open, sure throw it to him but he wasn’t. There was plenty of time on the clock and he had a wide open check down and two preferable options in Pitts and London on the same play.