(Procrastination Wednesday) Let's Take A Look At Some Offense - First 2 drives

Next play, same drive.  I'm not a fan of this concept here from this distance.  Looks like he was trying to get Kyle on a kinda slug-go fade type of deal, which I like, but I would have preferred it from under center like how the Rams do it, but here we get back into bad Marcus.  He steps up and has OZ coming across on the drag, which should have been his second read and he throws the wheel anyway.

All he has to do is feather it right over that LB.  Oz has all kinds of grass in front of him.

UMY932.gif

Next play.  Get back to what your QB does well.  Straight up read/option.  Mariota reads the EMOL.  If he stands up he hands the ball.  If he crashes, he keeps, but the Seahawks do something clever here.  They do a gap exchange, which is what they used to do to the 49ers to dictate the QB reads when they had Kaepernick.  Makes the play easier to defense.

Basically they know who the QB is reading and he crashes down knowing the QB is going to keep the ball off that look.  And they wrap around the off ball linebacker to replace the vacated gap.  QB keeps it thinking no one is going to be there, and the linebacker is waiting, but Mariota just outruns him.  If that's Bobby Wagner waiting there for him, it's 4th down, but it aint.  Touchdown.

Li19C6.gif

Looks like the gif got cut off, but trust me.  It was a touchdown.

Second drive, Seahawks are a little more settled in.  Dial up the bootleg.  Seahawks go to man and jump all over Kyle in the flat.  No one is open.  Marcus takes it.

5R5jsg.mp4

Now this is pretty.  Looks like a variation of burner we used to kill teams with back in the Shanahan days.  QB gets his head around and finds the deep safety.  Marcus sees middle of the field closed, he knows that dig should be coming open.

LTVDaT.gif

six man protection.  We didn't do a great job of passing off and picking up that natural pick the Seahawks got with 97.  Great throw from Marcus with a lot of man bearing down in it.  Throw it to open grass.

otO8qP.gif

And here's bad Marcus.  Poor ball placement.  And this is the type of stuff quarterback coaches critique.  Generally that go-ball is supposed to be put to the outside shoulder, but your receiver is winning inside.

WJEGis.gif

... balls gotta go to the inside shoulder.  Don't be a robot.  There's no one in the middle of the field but the ref.  That should be a layup.  Again, we won.  Offense is getting better, but this is the stuff that's got to be cleaned up if we're going to take that next step.  You can't miss these kinds of shots against good teams.

ueNivO.gif

Another design I really like.  Move your weapons around so no one can key on them.  Here you got Kyle in the backfield out of a full house look.  Kyle on the rail shot.  Throw it up and give him a shot.

hbkpMH.gif

The concept of this play, you want to get the ball to Kyle on the wheel, but the QB still has to read it out.  First read is that little Hank route from Drake.  In other systems that route will be a post that will almost never be open, but still.  Seahawks are on it pretty well.  Truth be told, the defender has pretty solid coverage on Pitts, too, but one on one, give your guy a shot, let him be an athlete.  Good ball placement here.

Wd1knX.gif

Another miss.  Great protection.  Drake beats his man on the backside and has all kinds of space.  Marcus doesn't pull the trigger.  By the time he gets back to him it's a much more difficult throw.

9mybRl.gif

Endzone angle is more damming.  Poor pocket presence here.  Sliding in the pocket for no reason.  Drake was actually more open than he looked on the television copy.  This is the difference between three and seven.  Gotta be cleaner here.

kE-VsQ.gif

This play straight p***ed me off.  This is the stuff that's got me wanting to see the rookie.  You're a veteran quarterback.  You have to see that safety creeping down late.  That's a blitz off the corner all the way.  You gotta be able to see that 10 out of 10 if you're a veteran quarterback. 

Change the protection, or get out of the play, but this is terrible.

CfVqTm.gif

Promising drive ends in a field goal.

That pass to OZ was the best touch pass I’ve seen from him yet.  Led him perfect, loved it.  The London should have TD was on that I talked about a few times being bad placement, glad you had same opinion there. He had a completion to London that was the same thing, even though the result was good, the pass wasn’t since it was in harms way.  

Great breakdown man, love Smith’s creativity this year so far.  So fun to watch.

🔥🔥🔥 the more you break down these plays the more I’m liking this staff. I was already really digging the front office moves and decision making on clearing up the cap while bringing in bargain talents. Seeing the coaching staff actually go out and execute with the guys they brought in gives me a lot of hope for the future. You can literally see one or two things going our way and the context of the game is a lot different. We are at least consistently average to good QB play away from being a really solid/good team. Can’t wait to see us after a year or two of adding talent and figuring out who are QB is 

Great breakdown as always PMF. 

I took a few things from this, and thankfully they were already in-line with my opinions: 

1. KP is the real deal.

2. London is the real deal.

3. AS *is* a **** good playcaller and clearly has a big bag of tricks. 

4. Mariota will either make you cheer or make you go "WTH ARE YOU DOING" in nearly equal measure. He's far too inconsistent, especially in pressure situations, to win a chip. 

5. Our OL finally looks decent - growth / coaching paying off. 

9 minutes ago, Diesel_Bird said:

The deep ball to London was frustrating. An inside lead pass would have been easy 6  

Offense gonna be scary when we just get gold accurate throws from the QB spot. Looks like it doesn’t even require a whole lot of hero ball or throwing guys open the scheme is getting them in pretty good spots already 

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

And here is where the design is impressive, because instead of a drag, which is what I'm used to seeing, it looks like the TE has a little whip route (which essentially turns the concept into a FLOOD) and again Marcus throws the ball to open grass.  Nicely done.

bY7FaF.gif

Two questions:

1) If this ball goes to Pitts, is it likely to be a completion? And would the QB coach expect Mariota to take the safe play that's closer/a sure thing or the deepout that's coming open late due to the defender getting turned around?

My questions aren't really specific to this play inasmuch as I'm curious about the thinking here with arbitrage vs. aggression.

2) What's your realistic assessment of Drake London so far?

48 minutes ago, Diesel_Bird said:

The deep ball to London was frustrating. An inside lead pass would have been easy 6  

I can live with that one. It was a mistake, but it's how he was coached. I liked the way Mariota played on Sunday -- come at me, haters! -- but his miss of Oz at the goal line is worrisome. He's not reading and anticipating well there. I don't like a QB forcing the action that close to end zone. It can lead to very bad things.

Still, I think Mariota comes across well in these clips. It helps that Pitts and London seemed to overmatch Seattle's secondary.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

This play straight p***ed me off.  This is the stuff that's got me wanting to see the rookie.  You're a veteran quarterback.  You have to see that safety creeping down late.  That's a blitz off the corner all the way.  You gotta be able to see that 10 out of 10 if you're a veteran quarterback. 

Change the protection, or get out of the play, but this is terrible.

CfVqTm.gif

Promising drive ends in a field goal.

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Yes!

Yes!

Yesssssss!

If one of the best play analyst we have on this forum is in favor of Ridder then I know I'm seeing things right.

People who couldn't tell the different between a slant route and a post route will sit here and call everyone idiots for thinking otherwise and then hug each other for agreeing.

17 minutes ago, Komic said:

If one of the best play analyst we have on this forum is in favor of Ridder then I know I'm seeing things right.

People who couldn't tell the different between a slant route and a post route will sit here and call everyone idiots for thinking otherwise and then hug each other for agreeing.

People see top 10 offense and are satisfied with it not realizing it could be even better with better qb play.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Two questions:

1) If this ball goes to Pitts, is it likely to be a completion? And would the QB coach expect Mariota to take the safe play that's closer/a sure thing or the deepout that's coming open late due to the defender getting turned around?

My questions aren't really specific to this play inasmuch as I'm curious about the thinking here with arbitrage vs. aggression.

2) What's your realistic assessment of Drake London so far?

1. No. I mean you can see from the end zone angle a brief window, but as I said, he was more of a decoy on that play. His job there was to clear out the coverage. With the dagger, he’s not even really part of the read and you can see he isn’t even looking for the ball on the break.

To the second part of your question — that’s a little complex. It really depends on the design of the play. Coaches expect you to play to the concept, and sometimes some of the deeper stuff may look good but the concept is a chainmover to the flat or something like that. 

You remember Gruden’s famous spider 2-y banana? That play could be tagged with all kinds of sexy deeper routes that looked just too good to pass up but the design of the play was to the fullback to the flat. It’s literally designed to get 5 yards. 

Now there are other plays that will have what’s called ALERTS built into them as in they’ll be something aggressive but the quarterback will only look that way if the defense gives them a certain look. That’s where your presnap reads come in. A QB coach will absolutely grade you down for missing those — not so much for not throwing to a decoy route that just so happens to come open in a once in a blue moon scenario.

2. Drake is killing it. I thought he would be good and a scheme fit. I didn’t think he’d be this good out the gate.

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

But it looks like a duo kind of play but with a pulling guard.  Very creative stuff.  I don't think I've ever seen quote this kind of mix of concepts.  It's like duo and counter mixed in one.

And where could AS be going with this moving forward IYO? Any other instances of something that could be new/ disruptive? 

Thoughts on Mariota one read?

16 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yeah, I always loved these segments. It's a shame he showed his true self because he was beloved in Knoxville even more than Tampa.

Thanks as always for the excellent analysis. I learned about ALERTS today. I read your original post as Seattle having an ALERT on the play, not Atlanta.

4 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

And where could AS be going with this moving forward IYO? Any other instances of something that could be new/ disruptive? 

Thoughts on Mariota one read?

If you look at the offensive line, none of them are downfield to create holes initially. They’re creating holes horizontally at the snap …. 

making this a perfect RPO option in the future, or most likely, leaking the H-Back backside on a playaction.

Edited by ShmevinShmarris

1 hour ago, Komic said:

:tiphat: