Albert Breer 10 Takeaways

atljbo

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/26/nfl-week-3-ten-takeaways-jalen-hurts-mmqb

• Drake London, Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson can all very clearly ball, and Treylon Burks and Jahan Dotson appear to be on their way as well. Which means we have another bumper crop of receivers on our hands.

• The Falcons are really feisty. I’m excited to see what Arthur Smith (who was compared to Andy Reid as a coaching candidate) can do once he gets his long-term quarterback in there with a renovated roster.

Drake is legit. Going to be truly, truly great. I see enough brilliance in his scheme to have a lot of faith in Artie. 

the bits that actually stand out the most are the busted plays when a player makes a stupid mental error. You can see the play design and the potential just out of reach.

we are young team, with a green HC. Telll you what, we will have a lot more maddening days in this half rebuild/cap clear…. But a lot of our young players and our salty HC have me optimistic for the not too distant future.

34 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Definitely looks a lot better than last year offense wise.

How long does he have to produce a winning season?

Next year is the big year. 3rd year of system and all the cap space. If he doesn't succeed he is either gone or gone early in year 4 if he doesn't have a fast start

25 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Almost 0% chance he's gone after this year regardless of record. 

I forget who it was on 92.9 the other day, but he said that Blank and Smith were in understanding when he took the job that this was going to be a 2-3 year turnaround given the roster and cap situation. 'Crawl, walk, run' was how it was described; in other words improvement each year is expected. 

Just from the eye test it seems clear that this is an improved squad. They're averaging 8 more points per game than in 2021 and their offensive DVOA is a 31.5% swing from 2021. Defense is more or less Pees' baby. The PPG is almost identical to 2021 but we're on pace to more than double prior year's total sack count. 

8 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

I forget who it was on 92.9 the other day, but he said that Blank and Smith were in understanding when he took the job that this was going to be a 2-3 year turnaround given the roster and cap situation. 'Crawl, walk, run' was how it was described; in other words improvement each year is expected. 

Just from the eye test it seems clear that this is an improved squad. They're averaging 8 more points per game than in 2021 and their offensive DVOA is a 31.5% swing from 2021. Defense is more or less Pees' baby. The PPG is almost identical to 2021 but we're on pace to more than double prior year's total sack count. 

I wouldn’t say zero. You never know when a coach will skip the team flight back home from an away game just so he can spend the evening having a 20 year old grind against him at his bar and grill

26 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Yeah im riding with smith. Was a lil concerned last year but he has erased a decent amount of doubt.

50 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

Drake is legit. Going to be truly, truly great. I see enough brilliance in his scheme to have a lot of faith in Artie. 

the bits that actually stand out the most are the busted plays when a player makes a stupid mental error. You can see the play design and the potential just out of reach.

we are young team, with a green HC. Telll you what, we will have a lot more maddening days in this half rebuild/cap clear…. But a lot of our young players and our salty HC have me optimistic for the not too distant future.

FdtxgBgXEAEIl9y?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Not that long ago, nobody could understand why Waddle went ahead of Devonta Smith. The answer is because they're both mega-talented. You couldn't go wrong with either.

As for Smith, he has somehow spent the offseason creating a hybrid of three different offensive schemes. It's a remarkable demonstration of a coach fitting the offense to the pieces rather than shoving square pegs into round holes.

8 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I really like everything about what our organization is doing these days. Blank is out of the way as I prefer owners to be, TF and AS seem to have the front office and personnel areas under control, and the product on the field is young, dynamic and fun to watch!

I think TF was a really good get. It helps when your coach and GM seem to share a lot of the same team building ideas. TF though seems to have the"dawg" in him as well. He's not around to massage anyone's feelings or make friends with guys. Trading 2 franchise cornerstones in back to back years should let everyone know they're not getting any freebies.

Whether or not they ever get to where we want them to be remains to be seen, but I feel like we are at least laying the groundwork to be a playoff team again.

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

The fact that we are competing with over 60 mil of cap not on the field is a good sign for him... I feel like as long as we are progressing... Next year if the first year Coach Smith can build a team with FA money in his pocket to build this team with his guys and we are also bringing up a young QB (ridder) ..

23 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I really like everything about what our organization is doing these days. Blank is out of the way as I prefer owners to be, TF and AS seem to have the front office and personnel areas under control, and the product on the field is young, dynamic and fun to watch!

Blank is perfect as the deal sealer

Here’s the condensed version with the Falcon’s portions…

Drake London, Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson can all very clearly ball, and Treylon Burks and Jahan Dotson appear to be on their way as well. Which means we have another bumper crop of receivers on our hands. 

• The Falcons are really feisty. I’m excited to see what Arthur Smith (who was compared to Andy Reid as a coaching candidate) can do once he gets his long-term quarterback in there with a renovated roster.

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

The fact that we are competing with over 60 mil of cap not on the field is a good sign for him... I feel like as long as we are progressing... Next year if the first year Coach Smith can build a team with FA money in his pocket to build this team with his guys and we are also bringing up a young QB (ridder) ..

Agree w/ all - only thing I would nitpick is we aren’t certain yet about the young QB.

Hopefully Ridder gets on the field with a large enough sample size to get a good read on his NFL upside as a starter in the league.

7 hours ago, Aluminafalcon said:

I wouldn’t say zero. You never know when a coach will skip the team flight back home from an away game just so he can spend the evening having a 20 year old grind against him at his bar and grill

well, Arthur isn't a ********* either so we don't necessarily have to worry about that scenario like that other coach who actually IS a *********....

:D

8 hours ago, thanat0s said:

So do I. Everything we're seeing on the field is proof this team is better than last year's on both sides of the ball. These guys believe in AS and Pees and in themselves. You can see them gaining confidence literally game by game. Exciting to watch them battle. The whole town will be back on the Falcons bandwagon before this season is done.