What’s the Word on Debo

Nino11

He should be eligible to return after this week, but I’m wondering what happens with the log jam at ILB. Evans is on a one year deal but seems to be preferred by the staff as one of “their” guys. Walker wears the Dot so he’s locked in unless he suddenly forgets how to play football, and Anderson is the staffs draft pick highly coveted. 

I personally think Debo can add some juice to the unit but none of the guys really have played bad. I doubt anybody will offer a good trade for him with no recent film out so I have a feeling the staff will try and get him some reps to strum up interest. I like Evans but if I had to choose between him and Debo I’m still leaning towards Debo. Would be great if we could somehow implement all 4 guys though 

46 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

He should be eligible to return after this week, but I’m wondering what happens with the log jam at ILB. Evans is on a one year deal but seems to be preferred by the staff as one of “their” guys. Walker wears the Dot so he’s locked in unless he suddenly forgets how to play football, and Anderson is the staffs draft pick highly coveted. 

I personally think Debo can add some juice to the unit but none of the guys really have played bad. I doubt anybody will offer a good trade for him with no recent film out so I have a feeling the staff will try and get him some reps to strum up interest. I like Evans but if I had to choose between him and Debo I’m still leaning towards Debo. Would be great if we could somehow implement all 4 guys though 

Last year Pees swapped Debo and Foye - Foye became the Strong MLB and got the green dot helmet, and Debo switched to the Weak MLB. Pees explained that the SMLB needs to be a little bigger to take on o-linemen, whereas WMLB plays more off ball and in space. 

This year, Walker starts at WMLB, Andersen is backing him up, and Evans is starting at SMLB. Walker is making plays, though probably not playing at what would be considered a pro bowl level, and Evans seems solid, if unremarkable. 

I don’t know what they’re going to do. I think we’ve typically had only 3 MLB active on game games, Walker and Evans, and Andersen because he plays ST’s. I think Kwiatkowski, who is Evans’ backup, has been inactive at least one or more games. Do they bring Debo back, but he’s possibly inactive? Do they bring him back and deactivate Andersen? Do we go with 4 MLB on game days? Move Debo? 

I dunno. We’ll see .

You can literally make any claim about Debo, good or bad, and be right. 😄

I don't know if he's still that guy or not. I know it seems like a long time since I saw it (2020?). The team hasn't given any indication what they're thinking on him. If he's not being traded, and we're paying him regardless, I want him on the team, not cut. We can use depth everywhere, and we might as well keep the vet for if/when someone misses time. 

15 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Watched him closely in game 3 of the preseason and saw the same loafing, lost Debo. Coming off the field as the camera cuts to commercial, you see ASmith yelling at Debo " What the f are you doing".

No hate, just time to move on.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Lets wait until week 4 plz

I think they active 3 or 4 LB's per game. This past week I think it was 4 with Landman being the 4th. I don't see much of room for Debo going forward. Walker and Andersen are 1/2 on the outside now. Maybe they bring him back see what his attitude/energy is and if he's not 100% invested they put him on IR the rest of the year. If that is possible

5 minutes ago, blutarski said:

I think if Debo is cleared back to 53, he will sub in on passing downs.  Walker and Evans should be base, but Debo is a much better LB when it comes to coverage and zone awareness.  Against Seattle, we saw Anderson get some snaps, especially in passing downs.  Those snaps will more than likely go to Debo. 

That’s my thought, if he’s active on the game day 46, he comes in on clear passing situations to sub for Evans. Walker is showing better ball skills. 

Coach Smith could put him in the practice squad / game day roster rotation, depending on the weekly game plan. Teams are allowed to place a certain number of veterans, three I believe, on the PS now and we've certainly taken advantage of the new rules. It may be a shot to his pride, but I think ultimately he's a team player.

GO FALCONS!!!!

17 minutes ago, MarkMc44 said:

Coach Smith could put him in the practice squad / game day roster rotation, depending on the weekly game plan. Teams are allowed to place a certain number of veterans, three I believe, on the PS now and we've certainly taken advantage of the new rules. It may be a shot to his pride, but I think ultimately he's a team player.

GO FALCONS!!!!

Doesn't make much sense for Debo to go to PS, his salary is already on the books, so there isn't any incentive from that perspective.  I have to think Kwiatkoski goes back to PS.

I think when Jones is back healthy, he is worked in.  I'm still confused as to the thought of Jones being out.  Why?  Are we speculating because he wasn't drafted by this regime?  I get that he was unspectacular last year and made a lot of money.  The same can be said of Grady Jarrett.  FACTS, he had his second highest tackle total in 2021.  That was off of his career high by 1 tackle.  Also had his second highest sack total with 2.  Ok, not a lot, but that is not his game and his career high season total is 4.5.  Where he did drop off was the INTs.  He had none vs the usual 2 or 3.

I'm not ready to throw him out.  If there are guys ready and able to replace him, cool.  I think we would all be scratching our head if you go back to 2010 and the Falcons decide to get rid of John Abraham.  He had 10 and 16.5 sacks in 2007 and 2008.  Then 2009 was a down year of 5.5.  There was no "cut bait" on the guy and he came back with 13 in 2010.

I guess this whole Deion Jones is out narrative is due to his down 2021 and the coaching staff maybe not liking what he brings to the table.  Personally, I think its a mistake.  I would at least let him play out 2022.  I know the cap hit for 2023 is large and its his last year.  So its easier to trade him this year, but somebody has to have a need which I just don't see right now.  May make more sense to be an off season/draft day type thing.  Unless some team loses a starting inside backer and doesn't have a good option to replace the starter.

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

Watched him closely in game 3 of the preseason and saw the same loafing, lost Debo. Coming off the field as the camera cuts to commercial, you see ASmith yelling at Debo " What the f are you doing".

No hate, just time to move on.

Saw the same thing, Debo seemed to shrug him off like he couldn’t care less 

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

His absence is not even noticeable in my opinion.  

Extremely notable for me. 

Every week I find myself asking "why are our LBs being physical to the point and actually trying to tackle someone before they get downfield?"

Then I remember that that is what LBs are supposed to do

10 hours ago, Nino11 said:

He should be able to get some reps based on matchups. He’s probably the best coverage guy we have.