Jump to content

How Atlanta Falcons win against Seahawks can lead to success vs Browns | Falcons Audible Podcast


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Mariota made some really good throws according to arch. I think we get so caught up on the negatives we dont see the good he does.

That's one of the unfortunate by-products of the human condition to focus on the negative. Even in the previous two games before SEA, I felt our offense had been better than it has in years. Not that it was a machine or anything like that, but you could just see something was different. We had NO on the ropes and they were supposed to be one of the better defenses in the league, and we had them on roller skates.

But when it comes to a mobile QB you have to take the good with the bad. Your only hope is that there are substantially more good plays than bad, and for the most part that's been the case.

A lot of folks are just chomping at the bit because they want to see what we got in Ridder, but I think the coaches are well aware of his potential and aren't as worried as some of our fan base about the future of the QB position, therefore the focus has been solely on winning games, not trying to piecemeal some resemblance of functional QB play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Mariota made some really good throws according to arch. I think we get so caught up on the negatives we dont see the good he does.

He made some really impressive throws, he also made some rough ones.  Some of his throws were caught but the placement weren’t good, two to London stood out to me, although one he was pressured on so it’s a little more understandable.  

Mariota is capable of playing at a high level, he has just never shown he can do it consistently game to game or even quarter to quarter at times.  Seattle was his best game of the season, but it’s also by far the worst defense he’s faced, so hard to say if it was him getting better or opponent getting worse.  I’ve enjoyed watching him play though, if he can continue moving the ball down field and get timing down with those guys hopefully it will lead to less mistakes over time.  

I think the ceiling is still capped under him and would be curious what Ridder brings to the table, I think the floor is going to be lower with Ridder short term but I think the ceiling is higher right away as well, real question is how much lower is the floor and how far away is he from erasing / greatly minimizing that gap?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rings said:

He made some really impressive throws, he also made some rough ones.  Some of his throws were caught but the placement weren’t good, two to London stood out to me, although one he was pressured on so it’s a little more understandable.  

Mariota is capable of playing at a high level, he has just never shown he can do it consistently game to game or even quarter to quarter at times.  Seattle was his best game of the season, but it’s also by far the worst defense he’s faced, so hard to say if it was him getting better or opponent getting worse.  I’ve enjoyed watching him play though, if he can continue moving the ball down field and get timing down with those guys hopefully it will lead to less mistakes over time.  

I think the ceiling is still capped under him and would be curious what Ridder brings to the table, I think the floor is going to be lower with Ridder short term but I think the ceiling is higher right away as well, real question is how much lower is the floor and how far away is he from erasing / greatly minimizing that gap?

Mostly a fair analysis, but I’ll say it’s unreasonable to expect perfection on his or any other QB’s passing…especially considering one who is often under considerable duress on many of those throws. The OL pass protection has improved from a year ago, but Mariota’s escapability has made them look a little better than they truly are IMO. 
 

Other than the fumbles, I’ve been pleased with how well he’s played, especially with his passing. It’s only 3 games in but he’s passed the ball as well and in many cases better than such notables are Brady, Stafford, Ryan, Wilson,  Burrow, Carr, Murray…the offense has been a top 10 offense so far in large part due to QB play which has been a pleasant surprise for me.  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

Mariota made some really good throws according to arch. I think we get so caught up on the negatives we dont see the good he does.

People who overanalyze and criticize his every move are demanding perfection to keep them quiet, and they're only quiet until the next time he makes any mistake.

I know I said it along the way before: Marcus is the rebound GF after losing Ms Right. No matter what he does, he's doomed to be labeled a failure by some, because they will always compare him to the HOFer, or the 'next' one to come along.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thanat0s said:

People who overanalyze and criticize his every move are demanding perfection to keep them quiet, and they're only quiet until the next time he makes any mistake.

I know I said it along the way before: Marcus is the rebound GF after losing Ms Right. No matter what he does, he's doomed to be labeled a failure by some, because they will always compare him to the HOFer, or the 'next' one to come along.

 

Very True. I think the scuffling has been way more to do with folks wanting Ridder in there than any comparisons to Ryan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Mostly a fair analysis, but I’ll say it’s unreasonable to expect perfection on his or any other QB’s passing…especially considering one who is often under considerable duress on many of those throws. The OL pass protection has improved from a year ago, but Mariota’s escapability has made them look a little better than they truly are IMO. 
 

Other than the fumbles, I’ve been pleased with how well he’s played, especially with his passing. It’s only 3 games in but he’s passed the ball as well and in many cases better than such notables are Brady, Stafford, Ryan, Wilson,  Burrow, Carr, Murray…the offense has been a top 10 offense so far in large part due to QB play which has been a pleasant surprise for me.  
 

Don’t disagree with a lot of that.  For me it’s been things like ball placement/velocity week 2 on the pass to CP84, the placement to London in the two throws if he just puts it opposite the receiver away from DB it’s a TD the first time and reduces chance of INT or PBU on second (again he was pressured there so he couldn’t step up so that one is nit picky).  I liked the improvement Week 3 over Week 2, especially from him being more willing to push the ball down field more.  If we continue getting that version of him, this offense could be scary.  If that was just a one week thing based on game plan for Seattle and he goes back to having a lower depth of target, then it feels like it will put a ceiling again on the offense.  But I’m more optimistic this week than last, just hope he keeps improving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thanat0s said:

People who overanalyze and criticize his every move are demanding perfection to keep them quiet, and they're only quiet until the next time he makes any mistake.

I know I said it along the way before: Marcus is the rebound GF after losing Ms Right. No matter what he does, he's doomed to be labeled a failure by some, because they will always compare him to the HOFer, or the 'next' one to come along.

 

Well said.  Mine is more that we just know for the most part what Mariota is based on his previous body of work.  Expecting him to pull a CP84 and redirect his career unexpectedly would be an outlier for sure, but I’ll gladly eat crow if it happens.  I’m also not actively rooting for him to make mistakes and still give him props when he has really good throws, so maybe I’m not who you are referring to lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, red falcon said:

Mariota made some really good throws according to arch. I think we get so caught up on the negatives we dont see the good he does.

Agree. When Arch talked about those three specific throws to OZ, Pitts, and the beautiful float pass to London I remembered being blown away with all those passes when I was watching the game. That's big-time play-making by Mariota and it shows he has the talent to get a team to the playoffs. Just has to keep working on those mental miscues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...