Ok, let’s have this discussion…(Ridder)

Durrty

Now, let me preface this by saying if Mariota can’t be better with his reads and accuracy, I’m all for seeing what the kid can do, ok? We good on that?? 😅

A lot of the reactions on the board after the Rams’ game, IMO, have been knee jerk. I’m on the side of seeing if MM can actually show he can improve within this offense from week to week.

My question to start this discussion is for those who were calling for MM’s head after Week 2, ****, some after Week 1! What, in your opinion, makes Ridder better than Mariota?? We got to see Ridder make some nice throws against vanilla defenses during the preseason (I was impressed too) but, as we all know, the regular season is a different monster.

So what say you? One thing I’d hate is for some of you to get your wish and the kid gets rushed out there too early. It’s all about timing for me…if it makes sense, do it, and we’ll understand, but if AS has the same knee jerk reaction, it could shine a negative light on his position as well. Just a thought.

20 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Ridder is no MR2 (I think, but am no evaluator.), who started as a rookie. Ryan had IT.

There is something there that let Ridder fall to the third. Just more time and practice?

Good to great players always fall to later rounds than what you think they would.

One of the main reasons why that happens is because a lot of those players usually become much better during their time in the NFL than they were in college. Some are also overlooked due to certain bias opinions.

Not saying Ridder will be good or great, just that stuff happens and you just never know.

AS is letting MM have his final shot at being a starter, once that is over, MM will be content to stay on as a backup to Ridder for the next year or two or at least until someone better is available. Let Ridder continue to practice and develop scheme muscle memory and don't be so eager to break your new toy.

5 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Good to great players always fall to later rounds then what you think they would.

One of the main reasons why that happens is because a lot of those players usually become much better during their time in the NFL than they were in college. Some are also overlooked due to certain bias opinions.

Not saying Ridder will be good or great, just that stuff happens and you just never know.

Yes. And to your point, Ridder has proven beyond doubt that he can adapt and overcome, as Gunny so eloquently states:

Ridder has proven himself during his collegiate career. And has proven to be an alpha leader.

So sure, he can become the equivalent to Joe Montana or Elway, Manning.......

But I ask why the coaches aren't playing him? I think MM has too many faults so far this season, but he too can improve.

I am willing to wait.

33 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Go back and watch preseason #1. Mariota was what were seeing now. Ridder was an actual QB. He can make the reads, go through progressions, and throw guys open.

Also his hands are huge. He can't drop a football.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfBsZzhkkpRHp0wY18Akq

What are those fingers? 7" long?

Ridder showed off his size and athleticism at the combine, checking in with class-high 10-inch hands and topping the QB leaderboard in the 40-yard dash, vertical and broad jump. https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4239086/desmond-ridder

3 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Yes. And to your point, Ridder has proven beyond doubt that he can adapt and overcome, as Gunny so eloquently states:

Ridder has proven himself during his collegiate career. And has proven to be an alpha leader.

But I ask why the coaches aren't playing him? I think MM has too many faults so far this season, but he too can improve.

I am willing to wait.

I think someone else said something about this earlier this week and it made sense. Ridder had some issues getting players set in his preseason games and a few other nuances.. Maybe he Smith wants Ridder to get the plays down, etc.  before he throws him out there.  

16 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I am willing to wait.

They might want Ridder's rookie season to be a reserve year.

I know he's been adjusting to changing his throwing mechanics and footwork. He could look a bit different after a year of being comfortable with those adjustments.

I praised Mariota all offseason. 
Ridder is a rookie and his first full speed games are probably going to be a gut punch. 
But if Mariota only looks for London and if he can’t find him in 1.5 seconds he takes off to the sideline we’re not going to make postseason anyway. 
So to answer your OP, if I know we’re not gunning for the postseason I’d rather let Ridder get his rookie losses out this year instead of starting next year in the hole. 

All this said, I think we can until week 10.  Let Ridder learn the system fully. 

Edited by Killing Floor

5 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

What makes you think that a man who has been doing the same thing over and over again for 8 years will wake up one day and change? 

Well he hasn't played much since 2019. This is after game two. I am one to give him some more time....Not much dammit, but some.

Like other posters have stated (They are much more knowledgeable that I.) He just needs to slow down with the mind thingy.

51 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Ridder is no MR2 (I think, but am no evaluator.), who started as a rookie. Ryan had IT.

There is something there that let Ridder fall to the third. Just more time and practice?

Ryan had a run game and a good oline… He was pretty average as a rookie we just had a decent team. It allowed him to grow and masked his weaknesses 

9 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Well he hasn't played much since 2019. This is after game two. I am one to give him some more time....Not much dammit, but some.

Like other posters have stated (They are much more knowledgeable that I.) He just needs to slow down with the mind thingy.

There is a reason he hasn't played much since 2019, MM is not going to get better. He is who he is. He may play better for a game or two, but he will revert back to making bonehead mistakes. Just look at his stats and game tape when he was a starter.

3 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Okay. Please elaborate, as that didn't make sense to me.

He threw for 3440 had 16 TDs and 11 INTs…. That ain’t really an “it” factor QB. It was good for a rook (earned him rookie of the year) but about as average as you could get in the scheme of things. Meanwhile he had Turner who went for 1699 yards while rushing a league leading 379 times. So as I said, we had a **** good oline along with an outstanding running game that took the pressure off of what Ryan was asked to do and allowed him to grow as the season went on. Trying to find out how hard that is to make sense of? 

2 minutes ago, jetpac said:

He threw for 3440 had 16 TDs and 11 INTs…. That ain’t really an “it” factor QB. It was good for a rook (earned him rookie of the year) but about as average as you could get in the scheme of things. Meanwhile he had Turner who went for 1699 yards while rushing a league leading 379 times. So as I said, we had a **** good oline along with an outstanding running game that took the pressure off of what Ryan was asked to do and allowed him to grow as the season went on. Trying to find out how hard that is to make sense of? 

What were MR2's weaknesses that had to be masked though?

He came out knowing all the options. When the Falcon's interviewed him he blew up the chalk board.

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

That may be true, but I wouldn't have wasted even a 3rd on Mariota.

Mariota's ceiling is what we've already seen, and we should see what Ridder has got in order to decide if we need to try again in next years draft.

You never want to set up him to lose and ruin his confidence/development. I’m stuck between letting him learn and trial by fire though. I feel like he shouldn’t be rushed but at the same time if he’s a guy he’s gonna be a guy regardless. If he proves he ain’t it it’s a loaded QB class we can pick from even though one season probably wouldn’t give you the full scope of him

4 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

What were MR2's weaknesses that had to be masked though?

He came out knowing all the options. When the Falcon's interviewed him he blew up the chalk board.

Happy feet, Decision making, Game processing. Same thing for every rookie. Every year. I think you’re reading more in to what I said as a knock on Matt rather than the truth that it is. 

Matt could grow and learn because our offense allowed it. **** I can even quote you were he would say he had a “long way to go” to be where he needed to be. And that was said during his rookie year.