Jump to content

2022 Coaching Carousel


Unknøwn
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

wow that's not a lot for a coach at the FBS level at a program like auburn.. got him on the cheap. 

Freeze was desperate for the job. He was making $5M at Liberty, going from G5 to SEC and only getting a $1.5M raise is a weird thing to see for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

So baggage aside, what are you feeling about on the field for Freeze? Is he getting Auburn to 10-11 wins or is he a 7/8 guy that will eventually be fired to make room for Art Briles at Auburn?

I think he’s going to be good for Ashford’s development, but I see him as an 8 win ceiling, maybe beats Bama once, we fire him for cause to try and avoid the buyout after we discover he has 23 Twitter burner accounts.

I hope I’m wrong, but I knew in my bones the second we fired Harsin that we would end with Freeze. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

 

The one thing that will happen and we were already notified of it by some auburn boosters we do know is that auburn is going to start spending a lot of NIL money to buy players.  They were basically withholding money from Harsin and his staff because they wanted him out which was why auburn didn't get any help in their recruiting the last 2 classes.  You will see their recruiting jump up into the top 10 with freeze who is the guy who bought hookers for recruits.  He will do anything to sign a player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

Ga Tech and Fritz could not agree. The school is now finalizing a deal with Keys. Expected to be done by tomorrow 

Great hire by Tech.. What he did this year by turning around the YellowJackets was pretty fantastic.  They looked horrible and he took them to some great wins.  He is also all Tech.. He loves that university.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Great hire by Tech.. What he did this year by turning around the YellowJackets was pretty fantastic.  They looked horrible and he took them to some great wins.  He is also all Tech.. He loves that university.  

Yeah, Batt wanted O'Brien but hes got his eyes on that Patriots OC job. Then when Fritz wasn't going to match up it became clear. It's Key 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted this elsewhere I'll be surprised if Freeze lasts for the 6 year contract. 

Ever since Pat Dye the Auburn head coach always seem to sooner or later have issues with the university, the alumni, or the fan base itself, most times by the end of their tenure all 3, The average tenure of the Tiger HC since and including Bowden is a little over 5 years. Even the longest-tenured HCs were struggling to get that far, Tuberville, Chizik, and Malzahn were all hounded for months if not years before being finally run off.

The only way he is likely there past 6 years is if he has a winning record against Alabama and has a few runs at the playoffs, AND knows how to coddle the alumni. He just doesn't seem to have that type of personality makeup at all. It's very telling that the Liberty team seemed to lose focus once he was rumored to be moving on. Not the easiest thing for young adults to do under these circumstances, but if he couldn't instill that loyalty in his players, Auburn's dysfunctional alumni and fan base aren't gonna be easy to convince. Especially with those all ready vocally against his hiring because of his questionable actions. In a lot of ways he already has one strike.

3 things beyond his control have to happen, Alabama has to suddenly drop off, Georgia has to drop off and Tennessee's surge has to stall and hope Napier fails in Gainesville. As well he must immediately do better than Beamer in South Carolina and even Stoops in Kentucky Kentucky, not only on the field but in recruiting, and the transfer portal.

He can be 9-3 or 10-2 for 3-4 years but if he loses too much to Alabama and doesn't at least make it to Atlanta a few times. There will be much disdain on the plains. A record like that in the SEC will attract other opportunities with less stress, aggravation, and expectations. If not in the lower-tiered SEC definitely in the other conferences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, putnam6 said:

Posted this elsewhere I'll be surprised if Freeze lasts for the 6 year contract. 

Ever since Pat Dye the Auburn head coach always seem to sooner or later have issues with the university, the alumni, or the fan base itself, most times by the end of their tenure all 3, The average tenure of the Tiger HC since and including Bowden is a little over 5 years. Even the longest-tenured HCs were struggling to get that far, Tuberville, Chizik, and Malzahn were all hounded for months if not years before being finally run off.

The only way he is likely there past 6 years is if he has a winning record against Alabama and has a few runs at the playoffs, AND knows how to coddle the alumni. He just doesn't seem to have that type of personality makeup at all. It's very telling that the Liberty team seemed to lose focus once he was rumored to be moving on. Not the easiest thing for young adults to do under these circumstances, but if he couldn't instill that loyalty in his players, Auburn's dysfunctional alumni and fan base aren't gonna be easy to convince. Especially with those all ready vocally against his hiring because of his questionable actions. In a lot of ways he already has one strike.

3 things beyond his control have to happen, Alabama has to suddenly drop off, Georgia has to drop off and Tennessee's surge has to stall and hope Napier fails in Gainesville. As well he must immediately do better than Beamer in South Carolina and even Stoops in Kentucky Kentucky, not only on the field but in recruiting, and the transfer portal.

He can be 9-3 or 10-2 for 3-4 years but if he loses too much to Alabama and doesn't at least make it to Atlanta a few times. There will be much disdain on the plains. A record like that in the SEC will attract other opportunities with less stress, aggravation, and expectations. If not in the lower-tiered SEC definitely in the other conferences.

When has an Auburn coach ever done this though? Auburn only has back to back 10 win seasons once in program history 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tl;dr said:

When has an Auburn coach ever done this though? Auburn only has back to back 10 win seasons once in program history 

Its not about incremental improvement, thus the run at Lane Kiffin. Freeze's grace period will be very short if he has one at all. Especially with Tennessee quick success with Huepel and even South Carolina's nice improvement with Beamer. Auburn's upper echelon alumni definitely believe they should be better than those 2 in the east but also challenging Bama and LSU in the west every year. Instead they find themselves using Jimbo and the Aggies to keep from sinking to the bottom of the west. Behind Ole Miss, MSU,Arkansas isn't likely to wash  for Freeze year one and **** sure won't in year 2. 

They have literally been to 2 BCS Championship games and a couple of Sugar Bowls the last 11 years or so and they ran through 3 coaches in that same time period. All of them had issues with the university and the alumni. If Freeze doesn't win fairly soon pretty sure the Alumni will start to get even more restless

Pointing out some of the issues of being an Auburn HC, as I said if he goes 9-3, 10-2 but loses constantly to Bama and/or doesn't at least get the the SEC Championship he wont last. 

Especially if in a year or 3 the opposing Bama HC is the aforementioned Lane Kiffin,

Since going 6-0 against Bama from 2002-2007 Auburn has only won 4-10. Beating the Tide will always be high priority if not top priority. Besides any playoff or even SEC championship run from them is gonna be affected by the Iron Bowl regardless. It's no surprise though that 0-6 run led Alabama to sell out for Saban. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tl;dr said:

UAB hires Trent Dilfer as HC

That's an interesting one. Dilfer built an absolute powerhouse high school program at Lipscomb Academy in Tennessee. They're #1 in the state and #17 in the nation. Looking for consecutive state championships this weekend and 3 straight finals appearances. They won their quarterfinal ans semifinal games by a score of 121-20. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, putnam6 said:

Its not about incremental improvement, thus the run at Lane Kiffin. Freeze's grace period will be very short if he has one at all. Especially with Tennessee quick success with Huepel and even South Carolina's nice improvement with Beamer. Auburn's upper echelon alumni definitely believe they should be better than those 2 in the east but also challenging Bama and LSU in the west every year. Instead they find themselves using Jimbo and the Aggies to keep from sinking to the bottom of the west. Behind Ole Miss, MSU,Arkansas isn't likely to wash  for Freeze year one and **** sure won't in year 2. 

They have literally been to 2 BCS Championship games and a couple of Sugar Bowls the last 11 years or so and they ran through 3 coaches in that same time period. All of them had issues with the university and the alumni. If Freeze doesn't win fairly soon pretty sure the Alumni will start to get even more restless

Pointing out some of the issues of being an Auburn HC, as I said if he goes 9-3, 10-2 but loses constantly to Bama and/or doesn't at least get the the SEC Championship he wont last. 

Especially if in a year or 3 the opposing Bama HC is the aforementioned Lane Kiffin,

Since going 6-0 against Bama from 2002-2007 Auburn has only won 4-10. Beating the Tide will always be high priority if not top priority. Besides any playoff or even SEC championship run from them is gonna be affected by the Iron Bowl regardless. It's no surprise though that 0-6 run led Alabama to sell out for Saban. 

 

 

 

Auburn is a very good program don’t get me wrong. A top 15 job in the country. I thought they should have gone after Rhule because that’s a better job than Nebraska. But for every 10 win season, there is another 5-7 or 6-6 year. It’s just such a roller coaster down there. I think even if he does lose to Alabama a lot but goes 9-3, 10-2 every year, they’d be crazy to get rid of him. That would make him one of the best coaches in Auburn history. 

As long as Saban is there, I think they’ll manage to beat Alabama relatively consistently in Auburn though. He’s 4-4 down there and really only has 1 game that wasn’t even a game. Kind of weird for as dominant as he’s been in Baton Rogue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

That's an interesting one. Dilfer built an absolute powerhouse high school program at Lipscomb Academy in Tennessee. They're #1 in the state and #17 in the nation. Looking for consecutive state championships this weekend and 3 straight finals appearances. They won their quarterfinal ans semifinal games by a score of 121-20. 

I think it’ll work out well. I think he can coach and he’ll be able to bring in decent talent. Biggest issue would be if someone hires him away 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I think it’ll work out well. I think he can coach and he’ll be able to bring in decent talent. Biggest issue would be if someone hires him away 

Unfortunately that's just reality in a G5. That's why it's crucial the ADs there make good hires. You have to be good at hiring to keep momentum going at that level. Cincinnati is looking at that right now. Theyre about to be a P5 school and are facing a crucial hire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Auburn is a very good program don’t get me wrong. A top 15 job in the country. I thought they should have gone after Rhule because that’s a better job than Nebraska. But for every 10 win season, there is another 5-7 or 6-6 year. It’s just such a roller coaster down there. I think even if he does lose to Alabama a lot but goes 9-3, 10-2 every year, they’d be crazy to get rid of him. That would make him one of the best coaches in Auburn history. 

As long as Saban is there, I think they’ll manage to beat Alabama relatively consistently in Auburn though. He’s 4-4 down there and really only has 1 game that wasn’t even a game. Kind of weird for as dominant as he’s been in Baton Rogue

Pure speculation obviously on my part FWIW he could just as easily come in and light it up, it's going to be interesting the SEC probably got a lot tougher. If he gets the talent and stays out of trouble, he can definitely X and O top tier. Still in the NIL and transfer portal era they might not be as patient either. It will interesting to see which 2023 and 2024 recruits stay on the plains. 

It's good to have a strong SEC I know thats not popular opinion around here sometimes, but it just makes teams better when they face good competition the whole. When a team runs the gauntlet of an SEC schedule and championship. Then they are ready for the playoffs...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...