2022 Coaching Carousel

Unknøwn

40 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

And there has been debate for years if Lawrence actually got much development at Clemson either. He came into college an amazing QB already; didn't really seem to improve too much while there. There is a strong argument to be made about why his rookie year was lackluster and why his NFL learning curve was steeper than expected at the time. 

Well Lawrence was coached in high school by the best QB coach in this state. And he has another prodigy he is coaching in JuJu. 

Arkansas OC Kendal Briles is reportedly Sonny Dykes top choice for TCU OC and some reports say the two sides are negotiating. Briles is making $1.3M at Arkansas. If it it happens it means Pittman would be replacing both coordinators. He replaced Odom with UCF DC Travis Williams. Arkansas gives Pittman more than $5M for his staff so he should have the ammo to replace Briles too. 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, Unknøwn said:

According to a report from Fox, Kingsbury bought a one way ticket to Thailand and is telling teams wanting him as OC that he has no interest in coaching right now. Should help O'Brien get the New England job. 

With his girlfriend I would do that same thing.. would spend a year with her in thailand.. LOL 

Harbaugh has withdrew from the Broncos search. He's told the Broncos FO he's staying at Michigan. Things still cold between Harbaugh and the AD. The president had to intervene and is the only official mentioned by Harbaugh in his statement. The president's statement also said Harbaugh called him directly to inform him of his decision and not the AD. Michigan AD Warde Manuel had to be informed by the president. 

20 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Harbaugh has withdrew from the Broncos search. He's told the Broncos FO he's staying at Michigan. Things still cold between Harbaugh and the AD. The president had to intervene and is the only official mentioned by Harbaugh in his statement. The president's statement also said Harbaugh called him directly to inform him of his decision and not the AD. Michigan AD Warde Manuel had to be informed by the president. 

There's a bit of history with Jim Harbaugh not getting along with his bosses. He and Trent Baalke weren't on the best of terms in San Francisco if I recall correctly. I wonder what gives.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:09 PM, Unknøwn said:

Another investigation at Michigan. Co-OC Matt Weiss has been indefinitely suspended because he's under police investigation for computer access crimes. 

Michigan has now fired Weiss. 

The NCAA investigation is expected to drag out as Harbaugh is saying he can't remember lying to investigators. Jim is facing a multiple game suspension for lying. 

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Tennessee and Josh Heupel have agreed to a 5 year extension worth $45M

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

Lolol.. 

More details

According to details of Heupel's new contract released by the university, his buyout would be 100% of what he was owed if he were terminated without cause before Dec. 15, 2025. The buyout would drop to 75% if he were fired between Dec. 15, 2025 and Dec. 14, 2027. The buyout would decrease to 50 percent on Dec. 15, 2027.

3 hours ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

More details

According to details of Heupel's new contract released by the university, his buyout would be 100% of what he was owed if he were terminated without cause before Dec. 15, 2025. The buyout would drop to 75% if he were fired between Dec. 15, 2025 and Dec. 14, 2027. The buyout would decrease to 50 percent on Dec. 15, 2027.

So freaking moronic.. 9 million a year for a season of work for 11 wins and that buyout is crazy stupid.  lol  Could he be a great coach.. maybe, but why go to 9 million a year after just 2 seasons. 

I personally would have waited 1 more year on Heupel. He can't demand more than $9M unless he wins a national championship. Only coaches with that get to top $10M in this market. It does feel a bit early. Maybe a slight bump to reward him but not that much.

10 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I personally would have waited 1 more year on Heupel. He can't demand more than $9M unless he wins a national championship. Only coaches with that get to top $10M in this market. It does feel a bit early. Maybe a slight bump to reward him but not that much.

the buyout is stupid as well and the bump after just 2 seasons is ridiculous.. they use the we beat bama and won 11 games on their boards to convince it's a good move now.. well this past year's bama was the most overrated team in the past 20 years.  they could have lost 5 regular season games.. I would have given him a bump for sure, but give another year and see where things go before moving him to the 9 million dollar range.  

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

the buyout is stupid as well and the bump after just 2 seasons is ridiculous.. they use the we beat bama and won 11 games on their boards to convince it's a good move now.. well this past year's bama was the most overrated team in the past 20 years.  they could have lost 5 regular season games.. I would have given him a bump for sure, but give another year and see where things go before moving him to the 9 million dollar range.  

Reminds me of AU signing Gus to that big contract after beating #1 Georgia and #1 Alabama.

1 hour ago, RxDawg said:

Reminds me of AU signing Gus to that big contract after beating #1 Georgia and #1 Alabama.

yep that was equally as stupid.. both of the wins were miracle wins over uga and bama.. he wasn't consistent (other than losing 4 to 5 games per year).. with the vols they lost to freaking georgia state in year 1 and look horrible in a lot of their games in year 1.. last year they had a terrific offense with a craptastic defense.  Then they beat an average clemson squad and let's bump their head coach to 9 million with a stupid buyout.  I am not saying that Josh H won't end up being a great head coach, but it's too early to get him to the 9 million mark which is a raise of 4 million after just 2 seasons.  Michigan state made the same stupid decision to give a huge raise too early.

One name ruled out for Bama is Dan Mullen. There was some speculation he might be a call Saban makes but reports are Mullen is happy in TV and is in no rush to go back to the grind of college.

Joe Brady is of course coming up but he's brushed off college interest in recent years. He'd rather stay in the NFL and is drawing interest, the Chargers are meeting with him soon about taking over as OC. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

One name ruled out for Bama is Dan Mullen. There was some speculation he might be a call Saban makes but reports are Mullen is happy in TV and is in no rush to go back to the grind of college.

Joe Brady is of course coming up but he's brushed off college interest in recent years. He'd rather stay in the NFL and is drawing interest, the Chargers are meeting with him soon about taking over as OC. 

Didn’t really want Mullen honestly. Not really sure he fits the culture honestly. 

Don’t think it’ll be Brady either because I’ve heard he hates recruiting 

11 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Didn’t really want Mullen honestly. Not really sure he fits the culture honestly. 

Don’t think it’ll be Brady either because I’ve heard he hates recruiting 

Yes. Brady had little interest in returning to college. He opted to stay in the NFL for less money after being fired by Carolina. He's committed to being an NFL guy. His current job is coaching Josh Allen so he isn't in a rush.

Miami just fired Josh Gattis after 1 year. He won the Broyles as Michigan OC in 2021. Could be one to watch. 

Has anyone mentioned Colorado and Deion Sanders? Did you see the video of the reception he received at the basketball game? It was tremendous.

How do you think the team will do in 2023? Just 1-11 in 2022. Not competitive in ANY game except the one they won (20-13 in OT over Cal).

Season opener at, guess who? TCU who! 🙃

I hope he can turn it way around. Any thoughts?

35 minutes ago, Isosceles said:

Has anyone mentioned Colorado and Deion Sanders? Did you see the video of the reception he received at the basketball game? It was tremendous.

How do you think the team will do in 2023? Just 1-11 in 2022. Not competitive in ANY game except the one they won (20-13 in OT over Cal).

Season opener at, guess who? TCU who! 🙃

I hope he can turn it way around. Any thoughts?

They'll be better but I really don't know where they'll end up with Deion. He can recruit, that's the big thing. He's going to be like Ed O and Pittman, he'll recruit and try to bring in the talent but he has to surround himself with a good staff to translate it to the field. His Jackson State teams just typically overwhelmed opponents with a better roster.