Braves @ Phillies

Unknøwn

I know a lot of this is due to injury and this is probably an unfair post, but we have all been talking about how the Braves robbed Acuna and Ozzie with those long term deals a couple of years ago.  Well, this has been 2 straight years of a subpar Acuna and a lost season for Ozzie this year.   What is particularly alarming about Acuna is his drop in power.  Does the knee recovery affect his power?   (only 13 HRs in 544 ab)   It certainly hasn't affected his speed (28 steals)

18 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

I know a lot of this is due to injury and this is probably an unfair post, but we have all been talking about how the Braves robbed Acuna and Ozzie with those long term deals a couple of years ago.  Well, this has been 2 straight years of a subpar Acuna and a lost season for Ozzie this year.   What is particularly alarming about Acuna is his drop in power.  Does the knee recovery affect his power?   (only 13 HRs in 544 ab)   It certainly hasn't affected his speed (28 steals)

It does. He isn't rotating like he did before. He's been open about his knee still feeling off and not trusting it. It'll be next year before he's fully recovered. I think was Apple a couple of weeks ago who did a side by side video. He was stopping a little short on his rotation. Causing him to be a little hit off on those pitches he use to crush. That's just the Acuna you're going to get right now as he's still recovering. Compensating for that is also likely causing his other issues this year like the back tightness he had yesterday. 

On a side note, people were hammering Acuna and Albies for taking these deals. How does that look now? They got millions locked in and will never have to worry about money no matter what happens in their careers. You just never know, when you're 20 or whatever and come from poverty, take the money and worry about maximizing later. 

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Olson: .196/.352/.631/74 wRC+
Ozuna: .231/.397/.654/77 wRC+

It's a definite really bad slump for Olson. Over the last month his WAR is -0.4. He's gotten 4 hits over the last few days as a sign he's coming out of it, maybe. Those hits still have raised his September numbers all the way up to .118/.221/.177. He has 1 HR and 1 2B for the whole month. 

25 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

It's a definite really bad slump for Olson. Over the last month his WAR is -0.4. He's gotten 4 hits over the last few days as a sign he's coming out of it, maybe. Those hits still have raised his September numbers all the way up to .118/.221/.177. He has 1 HR and 1 2B for the whole month. 

I believe Olson’s issue is his timing. Something just seems off with his toe tap. Whether it be he is taking to far of a stride or just starting his swing just to late. 

31 minutes ago, VNlanta said:

He's either in a slump or regressed to his career average. Hopefully last year is a breakout year and not an outlier because of a contract year

Hes definitely better than he's showed. His stat line this year would be his worst. His worst season in Oakland if you take out that 60 game 2020 season, he still hit .247/.335/.453. I dont think he's going to hit .270 like he did last year buts he's not a .230 hitter IMO. 

2 hours ago, For the A said:

I believe Olson’s issue is his timing. Something just seems off with his toe tap. Whether it be he is taking to far of a stride or just starting his swing just to late. 

He looks like Ichiro up there with how long his stride is getting. 

IMO, this game will be extremely telling of where we’ll be at especially we can count on Mets sweeping Athletics. If we lose this one, I think the management will have a hard decision whether to prioritize the rest or division chase. Today may be too early to decide even if we lose, but it may be the domino effect forcing our hand.

6 hours ago, 007dawg said:

Two straight years of subpar Acuna🤨that man carried the Braves last year until he got injured. Power comes from your base. Your knees are part of your base. Knee injury definitely affects his power. I expect we will see Acuna of old next year 

3 hours ago, VNlanta said:

He's either in a slump or regressed to his career average. Hopefully last year is a breakout year and not an outlier because of a contract year

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

He's definitely better than he's showed. His stat line this year would be his worst. His worst season in Oakland if you take out that 60 game 2020 season, he still hit .247/.335/.453. I dont think he's going to hit .270 like he did last year buts he's not a .230 hitter IMO. 

It wouldn't shock me to see him have a huge year next year after adjusting to a different league. Francisco Lindor had a terrible year last season, only to comeback and play much better this year. Hopefully, Matt Olson follows a similar path.

1 minute ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Oh lawd.....today's athletes are so different from when I came up....

It could be a good thing...I don't know...

It ain't no way I would miss important games like this due to uncomfort .....I guess I'm just old school 

It's always hard to assume those things. We don't know how much pain he has from it. Maybe he could play through it, maybe its real pain. Just don't know. All we know is Snit said the medical team told him that Acuna can't play today. Theyre treating him in hopes he can play tomorrow. Hopefully he can.