Jump to content

Rich Eisen's Top 5 Most Disappointing NFL Teams So Far I The Rich Eisen Show


Sidecar Falcon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

 

4:40 - Indianapolis Colts

I can’t say I disagree with him. From the Colts’ perspective, they brought in Matt to win these types of games and he hasn’t produced regardless of circumstances. 

He had his top 2 receivers out of a already depleted receiving core.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lionzblade said:

He has underperformed,sure.

But all the blame he is getting is unfair because of the receiving core.

 

Similar unfair blame was being placed on Wentz too; and then they ran him out because he is a mid-tier QB. Wentz didn’t have a bad season. When you bring in a Matt Ryan type QB you expect him to do more and succeed despite pieces missing; Ryan hasn’t done that. Receiving core was an issue for them, but it was part of a bigger issue. An issue Ryan is partially to blame. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lionzblade said:

He has underperformed,sure.

But all the blame he is getting is unfair because of the receiving core.

The problem with Ryan is he needs everything around him perfect or the team is not going to win very often. 

O-Line has to be good. Run game has to be good. Playmakers have to be good. Defense has to be good. Kinda hard to be good at everything otherwise every team would be a SB contender.

With Jonathan Taylor, a more than good enough O-line and a mid-tier defense that should be enough to survive a game against the JAGUARS without your top 2 WRs. Heck they did not even score a single point. The week before the Texans blew them out before they went into a Falcon special prevent defense. Imagine what the Chiefs are going to do to them this weekend.

In 7 of 8 quarters the Colts have 3 TOTAL points. That is not getting it done as the QB of a team no matter what the circumstances. 

He is getting sacked far too often due to holding the ball, he is turning it over left and right and in general he has simply been terrible. People can say whatever you want about Wentz but he produced a 27/7 TD/INT statline. Ryan will not even sniff that this year. Meanwhile in Washington Wentz is starting off strong again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Similar unfair blame was being placed on Wentz too; and then they ran him out because he is a mid-tier QB. Wentz didn’t have a bad season. When you bring in a Matt Ryan type QB you expect him to do more and succeed despite pieces missing; Ryan hasn’t done that. Receiving core was an issue for them, but it was part of a bigger issue. An issue Ryan is partially to blame. 

Sure,he is partially to blame,but I believe he is getting more that his fair share.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lionzblade said:

He didn’t have the top 2 receivers missing.

Pittman had his first 1,000 yard season with Wentz; before him was Rivers and he was a rookie with about 400 yards. You can’t in good faith state that Ryan is a product of circumstances and not give the same treatment to Wentz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Pittman had his first 1,000 yard season with Wentz; before him was Rivers and he was a rookie with about 400 yards. You can’t in good faith state that Ryan is a product of circumstances and not give the same treatment to Wentz. 

Then that turns into was that breakout because of wentz or Pittman?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The problem with Ryan is he needs everything around him perfect or the team is not going to win very often. 

O-Line has to be good. Run game has to be good. Playmakers have to be good. Defense has to be good. Kinda hard to be good at everything otherwise every team would be a SB contender.

With Jonathan Taylor, a more than good enough O-line and a mid-tier defense that should be enough to survive a game against the JAGUARS without your top 2 WRs. Heck they did not even score a single point. The week before the Texans blew them out before they went into a Falcon special prevent defense. Imagine what the Chiefs are going to do to them this weekend.

In 7 of 8 quarters the Colts have 3 TOTAL points. That is not getting it done as the QB of a team no matter what the circumstances. 

He is getting sacked far too often due to holding the ball, he is turning it over left and right and in general he has simply been terrible. People can say whatever you want about Wentz but he produced a 27/7 TD/INT statline. Ryan will not even sniff that this year. Meanwhile in Washington Wentz is starting off strong again. 

I disagree with the notion that Ryan needs everything around him to be perfect in order to win. That’s basically the narrative being slung by Ryan haters (not saying you). Although that narrative’s existence is largely due to the Ryan homers making excuses on his performance and how he needs “X” thing to get “Y” result. Both sides overstate their stance to the Nth degree.

Does Ryan need everything to be perfect? No. Ryan was capable of doing more with less at one point. However age and the game have made that infinitely harder for him on the recent years.

So comparatively (from Ryan’s prime) he needs a decent amount more than what he did have in order to produce as much as he did in his prime (with less).

Going into the 2022 season, Colts were widely considered to have a top ten oline, top 2 RB, a good defense, and young star WR. Fast forward and they are performing badly and people are not giving Ryan the blame.

Regardless of how you feel about the poor play of the team, Ryan has made some boneheaded blunders this season. You can attribute that to injuries but bumbling 4 snaps for fumbles while under center is very telling. It could be communication issues, so we’ll have to see how it improves; but watching last game they look flat out bad.

Colts we’re supposed to run away with this division and now they are scrapping to compete with Texans and Jaguars. That’s not a good look for anyone on the organization; especially Ryan since he was brought in to be the QB savior. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tribal Chief said:

I don’t care about Ryan. I’m pointing out to you that Wentz didn’t have much to work with on that offense yet he received a ton of hate because of the failures

And I agree completely,they both received/are receiving a unfair amount of criticism due to lack of weapons.

Edited by Lionzblade
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lionzblade said:

And I agree completely,they both received/are receiving a unfair amount of criticism due to lack of weapons.

It comes with being a quarterback in the NFL. They're expected to make guys better. Especially with the money they make. You don't have to like it but unfortunately for them, that's what it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lionzblade said:

Then that turns into was that breakout because of wentz or Pittman?

Like I’ve stated before, Wentz is a mid-tier QB, but was viewed as absolute garbage. Ryan lost to the Texans and tied with the Jags. Last season Colts beat the Texans for a combined score of 62-3 and split with the Jags for a combined score of 34-43. Colts have put up 20 points in two games. It’s a bad faith statement to say that the criticisms are a product of circumstances with a Ryan and not give the same treatment to Wentz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Like I’ve stated before, Wentz is a mid-tier QB, but was viewed as absolute garbage. Ryan lost to the Texans and tied with the Jags. Last season Colts beat the Texans for a combined score of 62-3 and split with the Jags for a combined score of 34-43. Colts have put up 20 points in two games. It’s a bad faith statement to say that the criticisms are a product of circumstances with a Ryan and not give the same treatment to Wentz. 

Again,this is some of my personal opinion that breakouts are normally because of the receiver.I would apply that if someone broke out with Ryan as well.I don’t think wentz is garbage either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...