Can we talk about the Falcons Top 10 Scoring/Points Per Game Offense?

Because it just doesn't fit the narrative that AS's playcalling sucks, and Mariota sucks...

Does that mean we can't be even better? Of course not...clean up some mistakes and we can be even better...

But how many of you know that the Falcons have a Top 10 offense in scoring and points per game?

Good point. Ultimately there's only one thing that matters to everyone though. Wins.

The team appears to be better than last year. That has me excited. All the offseason hype videos and interviews leads to lofty expectations for some (especially homers). 0-2 has them venting here.

This is a rebuild. It will take time. In all honesty I wasn't expecting the team to be as good as it has been. They almost won both games.

41 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Is that including the 8 points that the offense didn't score? (Touchdown on blocked punt and then the safety)

It is. We are really tied for 13th in scoring offense, 18th in rushing and 11th in passing.

We'd be a top 10 scoring offense w/out some of the ridiculous turnovers and the missed Koo kick

I don't think the play calls suck. We fell to execute at times, but the play calling is legit on offense. I haven't really seen a specific play call that didn't make since, now specific players may have needed to be interchanged but not the play itself. Like yesterday, Justin Fields and the Bears on the half inch yard line on 4th down. The play call was a QB sneak from shot gun. On the goal line! Now that is a bad play call. We don't have those! Mariotta doesn't suck either. We need better play up front, and Ridder pushed the ball down the field better. It was a greater sense of the whole field was an option with him in the backfield. With Mariotta, it seems like the territory 20+ isn't to much of a threat. He can, Ridder was just more efficient down field. We need better more consistent play up front and honestly I think its just simply a talent thing, not execution. At times we've just getting blown up, whooped.

No point in having a top 10 offense, you score 28, defense gives up 29.

3 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

0-2 has them venting here.

I admit I'm one of them.  I said preseason we would win maybe 6 games, but the promising way we started, only to blow it once again, really got my blood boiling. 

I need to remind myself just how new and young this team is and just enjoy the ride.  

5 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I admit I'm one of them.  I said preseason we would win maybe 6 games, but the promising way we started, only to blow it once again, really got my blood boiling. 

I need to remind myself just how new and young this team is and just enjoy the ride.  

I can understand what you're saying. Young team, we aren't supposed to be good. My problem is the way we're doing things. We could be successful.

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

Yep. It’s hard though to maintain the original expectations through the season

The team as a whole has given me hope for a brighter future. The problem is what ranking would we have and how many W would we have if not for the points left on the field? We cannot repeatedly get the ball into the rz or even goal to go situations just to pizz away the opportunity. We also can't bumble away a game icing possession and expect W's.

What is the turnover margin for this team? And we've scored 7 pts. We have failed to produce when it counts. NO game should have been a blowout. LA should have been a W. I'm in hope that we will get there.

Edited by Williamb
Addition

Fun nerdy stat of the day for you.  We currently run play action the third highest rate behind only Hurts & Tua at 40.6% of our passing plays.  From a PFF grade perspective Mariota goes from #10 QB (77.3) when using play action to #28 (47.7) without.  Goes from 100.1 QB Rating to 66.2.  Average depth of target is 2.5 yards deeper and has an 18% higher adjusted completion percentage on play action plays.  All of his picks and fumbles have come on non-play action plays.

Its a pretty clear line of when he is comfortable and not.  I do like that AS is using it a lot to try to play to his skill set.

3 minutes ago, Rings said:

Fun nerdy stat of the day for you.  We currently run play action the third highest rate behind only Hurts & Tua at 40.6% of our passing plays.  From a PFF grade perspective Mariota goes from #10 QB (77.3) when using play action to #28 (47.7) without.  Goes from 100.1 QB Rating to 66.2.  Average depth of target is 2.5 yards deeper and has an 18% higher adjusted completion percentage on play action plays.  All of his picks and fumbles have come on non-play action plays.

Its a pretty clear line of when he is comfortable and not.  I do like that AS is using it a lot to try to play to his skill set.

This ultimately is the limit to Mariota and what makes him a bridge QB. Just buying time hoping to get wins until Ridder is truly ready.

13 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Is that including the 8 points that the offense didn't score? (Touchdown on blocked punt and then the safety)

9 hours ago, Malachore said:

8 of those points were not even scored by the offense so there's that.

Eh, some of the teams ahead of us have also scored pick 6's and such...