Some PFF Grades for Week 2

jidady

KhaDarel Hodge actually lead the team with a 91.3, but he had only had 12 snaps. So, I'll skip him for the top three, even though that's encouraging to see.

To the surprise of no one, London graded highest at 82.0 overall, 81.3 in passing, but only 54.8 in run blocking. You can tell from the grade disparity that we had him out in patterns as much as possible since he was creating mismatches all over the place. He actually graded out eerily similar to Cooper Kupp, which should go a long way in telling you what we have here. Kupp was 83.2/83/65.7.

Parker Hesse had a good game and was next at 69.7/64.9 in the passing game/74.4 pass blocking/67.8 run blocking. That's encouraging, as Smith's offense works best with a Swiss Knife guy like that on the field.

Zeus was third at 69.3.

Our offensive line went:

Jake Matthews: 62.4

Chris Lindstrom: 55.4

Kaleb McGary: 47.3

Elijah Wilkinson: 39.4

Drew Dalman: 36.5

If you want to know why we lost, there's the explanation. That's the toughest defensive front seven we'll face all year, and they whupped us.

Pitts finished at 50.8, while Patterson was 64.4.

12 minutes ago, jidady said:

KhaDarel Hodge actually lead the team with a 91.3, but he had only had 12 snaps. So, I'll skip him for the top three, even though that's encouraging to see.

To the surprise of no one, London graded highest at 82.0 overall, 81.3 in passing, but only 54.8 in run blocking. You can tell from the grade disparity that we had him out in patterns as much as possible since he was creating mismatches all over the place. He actually graded out eerily similar to Cooper Kupp, which should go a long way in telling you what we have here. Kupp was 83.2/83/65.7.

Parker Hesse had a good game and was next at 69.7/64.9 in the passing game/74.4 pass blocking/67.8 run blocking. That's encouraging, as Smith's offense works best with a Swiss Knife guy like that on the field.

Zeus was third at 69.3.

Our offensive line went:

Jake Matthews: 62.4

Chris Lindstrom: 55.4

Kaleb McGary: 47.3

Elijah Wilkinson: 39.4

Drew Dalman: 36.5

If you want to know why we lost, there's the explanation. That's the toughest defensive front seven we'll face all year, and they whupped us.

Pitts finished at 50.8, while Patterson was 64.4.

Pitts grading poorly is interesting because that implies he actually just wasn't getting open (in PFF eyes at least)

London grading the same as Kupp but not having quite the same production points to him needing more targets instead of getting open for cardio.

Bet Dalman's snaps destroyed his grades even more so than just getting beat blocking.

Smith loves Hesse. His new Lee Smith obviously.

wait why was MM excluded?

Edited by Komic

On defense, Abdullah Anderson flashed on 11 snaps. He had a 90.2!

Among defenders with 30+ snaps, Mykal Walker had an excellent game at 82.3 including a sensational 88.4 in coverage.

Ta'Quan Graham stepped up with 75.4 overall/73.5 run defense/70.2 tackling/64.3 pass rush/60.0 pass coverage.

Rashaan Evans had a 70.9 with 72.1 run defense/51.8 tackling/71.4 pass rush/and 60.4 in coverage. Thus far, he's been a really good signing who has played better for us than he had recently in Tennessee.

Heyward and Terrell were the next two at 70.1/67.7. So, they played well enough against tough matchups.

Among the kids, DeAngelo Malone scored a 71.8 in 12 snaps, while AK47 managed a 64.8. Both tackled very well, which I love to see from rookies. Troy Andersen only played nine defensive snaps and graded out the lowest of anyone at 41.7.

I should add that Grady also had an uncharacteristically bad game. He graded at 46.5, which is super-rare for him. The Rams took him out of the game, which is understandable given how he played in week one.

Notably, the Rams only had three offensive players grade out above 70 against us. They were Kupp, their RT (70.3) and RG (71.1).

On defense, Douglas absolutely eviscerated us with a 91.7. There's a draft we'd like to re-do.

They had three other defenders above 70. Frankly, I'm surprised there weren't any interior defenders, although I need to watch the All-22. Their ROLB, Terrell Lewis, graded 81.5. Future Hall of Famer Bobby Wagner graded 79.2, and Ramsey managed a 76.7, albeit with his usual awful tackling.

4 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I'm a little more concerned with Edwards than Pitts.

Pitts has too much talent to stay m.i.a. We need more from Edwards, Hodge and Zacc are picking up some of slack.

Yeah, in case anyone reads this and is wondering, Edwards had a 56.6 with a 56.5 in patterns. That's just not good enough for a WR2.

We expected London to work as the punishment when defenses committed too much on Pitts. During the first two games, London has proven so dominant that it'll evolve now.

Teams will take London out of the game, forcing Pitts and the WRs to step up. That's gonna fall on Edwards, who is currently ranked #138 out of 146 WRs tracked by PFF. London is #7 out of 146, by the way. He's been an absolute freak thus far.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

Oof, here are the current Falcons offensive line ranks:

Tackles: Matthews is #26 out of 90

Center: Dalman is #36 out of 39

Guards: Wilkinson is #42 out of 87

Lindstrom is #54 out of 87

McGary is #71 out of 90

That's not gonna get it done.

I see exactly what the point of this thread is now. 

Can you provide MMs Rating and rank?

6 minutes ago, Komic said:

I see exactly what the point of this thread is now. 

Can you provide MMs Rating and rank?

?

The thread I posted last week and several times last year too? Don't be weird.

Anyway, Mariota's grades yesterday were 60.5 overall, 61.3 in the passing game, 55.8 in the run game, and 60 in run blocking...which we probably shouldn't have our QB doing.

For the season, he's the 22nd ranked starting QB in the same range (but slightly ahead of) Russell Wilson, Mac Jones, and Joe Burrow. The two starters ahead of him are Jameis Winston and Davis Mills.

(I edited this to include Joe Burrow because that was funny to me.)

40 minutes ago, jidady said:

That dude ran more than anyone on the field seems like. He was in so much motion, I don't now how he didn't draw multiple penalties. 😄

10 minutes ago, jidady said:

Oof, here are the current Falcons offensive line ranks:

Tackles: Matthews is #26 out of 90

Center: Dalman is #36 out of 39

Guards: Wilkinson is #42 out of 87

Lindstrom is #54 out of 87

McGary is #71 out of 90

That's not gonna get it done.

The scheme has to save them. Physically they cannot do it alone.

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

?

The thread I posted last week and several times last year too? Don't be weird.

Anyway, Mariota's grades yesterday were 60.5 overall, 61.3 in the passing game, 55.8 in the run game, and 60 in run blocking...which we probably shouldn't have our QB doing.

For the season, he's the 22nd ranked starting QB in the same range (but slightly ahead of) Russell Wilson, Mac Jones, and Joe Burrow. The two starters ahead of him are Jameis Winston and Davis Mills.

(I edited this to include Joe Burrow because that was funny to me.)

0 of that first part has anything to do with what I said lmao. 

I simply want to know why we got grades for backup WRs and TEs but not the starting QB

Even posted the o line twice to emphasize their performance without mentioning him

Just a bit odd is all...

Appreciate the info.

32 minutes ago, Komic said:

Pitts grading poorly is interesting because that implies he actually just wasn't getting open (in PFF eyes at least)

London grading the same as Kupp but not having quite the same production points to him needing more targets instead of getting open for cardio.

Bet Dalman's snaps destroyed his grades even more so than just getting beat blocking.

Smith loves Hesse. His new Lee Smith obviously.

wait why was MM excluded?

Mariota graded so poorly it broke PFFs algorithm and now their website is down. 

31 minutes ago, jidady said:

On defense, Abdullah Anderson flashed on 11 snaps. He had a 90.2!

Among defenders with 30+ snaps, Mykal Walker had an excellent game at 82.3 including a sensational 88.4 in coverage.

Ta'Quan Graham stepped up with 75.4 overall/73.5 run defense/70.2 tackling/64.3 pass rush/60.0 pass coverage.

Rashaan Evans had a 70.9 with 72.1 run defense/51.8 tackling/71.4 pass rush/and 60.4 in coverage. Thus far, he's been a really good signing who has played better for us than he had recently in Tennessee.

Heyward and Terrell were the next two at 70.1/67.7. So, they played well enough against tough matchups.

Among the kids, DeAngelo Malone scored a 71.8 in 12 snaps, while AK47 managed a 64.8. Both tackled very well, which I love to see from rookies. Troy Andersen only played nine defensive snaps and graded out the lowest of anyone at 41.7.

I should add that Grady also had an uncharacteristically bad game. He graded at 46.5, which is super-rare for him. The Rams took him out of the game, which is understandable given how he played in week one.

Notably, the Rams only had three offensive players grade out above 70 against us. They were Kupp, their RT (70.3) and RG (71.1).

On defense, Douglas absolutely eviscerated us with a 91.7. There's a draft we'd like to re-do.

They had three other defenders above 70. Frankly, I'm surprised there weren't any interior defenders, although I need to watch the All-22. Their ROLB, Terrell Lewis, graded 81.5. Future Hall of Famer Bobby Wagner graded 79.2, and Ramsey managed a 76.7, albeit with his usual awful tackling.

Troy did great on special teams but he has a lil ways to go as a linebacker in the run gm.  He got washed out to sea on a touchdown run. Prob a lot of thinking. He is young. 

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

The scheme has to save them. Physically they cannot do it alone.

If any of us wants to know where a big chunk of that cap is going next offseason, and maybe our top draft pick if they see enough in Ridder to give him a year to prove himself, look no further. We basically only have 2 viable OL when the chips are down, and they're getting dragged down compensating for the other 3. 

1 minute ago, Komic said:

0 of that first part has anything to do with what I said lmao. 

I simply want to know why we got grades for backup WRs and TEs but not the starting QB

Even posted the o line twice to emphasize their performance without mentioning him

Just a bit odd is all...

Appreciate the info.

Oh, you're projecting what you would do with data presentation. Got it!

Since the mods changed the rules about paywalled data, I post the top grades, the bottom grades, the rookies/ and anything I find curious/noteworthy. Then, I answer questions if anyone wants specifics, as I did with you. In fact, your comment about Dalman is what caused me to look more carefully at the overall quality of our line play.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

Scheming can't make you an NFL player. At some point, that's up to Mayfield and Dalman/Hennessy.

Obviously you have to have a foundation but they are not the type thats gomna be able to run at defenders and push them out of the way.

The run gm has been better due to the reason of having a qb that can move. If we were in the same situation as last year, the run gm would be different due to who is at qb. Is that not scheme?

3 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Troy did great on special teams but he has a lil ways to go as a linebacker in the run gm.  He got washed out to sea on a touchdown run. Prob a lot of thinking. He is young. 

Yeah, I think we all knew he'd require some time coming out of Montana State. That punt block may be his highlight for the first half of the year, but it was a doozy. You can understand how that dude would jump out on film.

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

Oh, you're projecting what you would do with data presentation. Got it!

Since the mods changed the rules about paywalled data, I post the top grades, the bottom grades, the rookies/ and anything I find curious/noteworthy. Then, I answer questions if anyone wants specifics, as I did with you. In fact, your comment about Dalman is what caused me to look more carefully at the overall quality of our line play.

again... none of that is related to what I asked.

I don't know why mods got brought up to explain why our starting QBs ranking did not meet your "noteworthy" mentions over some of the other names you went on about but I will tell you what I do know. I know you spent the good part of this morning defending MM with your life and now you are letting that leak into this

Its fine, you can share what you want honestly, just know its easy to see.

no projection. 

No need for a bunch of reaching and deflecting. Direct.

1 minute ago, red falcon said:

Obviously you have to have a foundation but they are not the type thats gomna be able to run at defenders and push them out of the way.

The run gm has been better due to the reason of having a qb that can move. If we were in the same situation as last year, the run gm would be different due to who is at qb. Is that not scheme?

While I'm reserving judgment since we've only played two games, I'm skeptical about our personnel. I was surprised we didn't prioritize our offensive line more in the draft, even though I understand the thinking with our early picks. I've never liked McGary, Hennessy has disappointed, Mayfield doesn't appear to have enough fight, and Dalman's effectively a rookie. Meanwhile, Wilkinson's a viable placeholder but not much more. So, I don't know if Alex Gibbs could scheme to overcome all that.

1 minute ago, Komic said:

again... none of that is related to what I asked.

I don't know why mods got brought up to explain why our starting QBs ranking did not meet your "noteworthy" mentions over some of the other names you went on about but I will tell you what I do know. I know you spent the good part of this morning defending MM with your life

Three things:

1) The mods got mentioned because I posted *all* the data last year. Then, the rules were changed because the organization asked posters not to do that. So, now I must pick and choose. It's interesting that any mention of mods makes you nervous, though.

2) Here's the thread from last week that you'll need to pretend doesn't exist to bring your fantasies into reality:

3) I -most assuredly- didn't spend the morning arguing anything because yesterday was my birthday, I own my (very small) business, and my wife let me sleep in until noon today since we were up late last night, and she didn't think I needed to do any work today. That's why I'm playing on the internet instead. Suffice to say that I'm having a *terrific* start to the week!