Just have to say this about red zone targets

For years we all complained that Julio was not targeted when we got into the red zone, and he wasn't. How many times did we see him on the sideline when we were on the 7 yard trying to score the go ahead TD, only to walk away with no points or a meaningless FG.

That last INT gave me flashbacks to all those years. Why the name of all that is holy do we not throw to one of 10 foot TE/WR on that throw?? I just don't understand why even with a different coaching staff we aren't doing what seems like the obvious choice. Maybe I am missing something, and if I am, please let me know!

4 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

For years we all complained that Julio was not targeted when we got into the red zone, and he wasn't. How many times did we see him on the sideline when we were on the 7 yard trying to score the go ahead TD, only to walk away with no points or a meaningless FG.

That last INT gave me flashbacks to all those years. Why the name of all that is holy do we not throw to one of 10 foot TE/WR on that throw?? I just don't understand why even with a different coaching staff we aren't doing what seems like the obvious choice. Maybe I am missing something, and if I am, please let me know!

I just said in another thread that my perception is Mariota doesn't have the stones to throw the ball into coverage.  Pitts and London are guys who are never covered.  At some point, Mariota has to place the ball where they can go get it and let them make a play.  Even bad QBs look good when they rely on the guys around them.  Mariota seems to be looking for a perfect leverage and fit before he'll throw to them.  He's throwing to London a lot because they're rolling coverage to Pitts.  Sometimes, you just have to let Pitts beat the coverage.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I just said in another thread that my perception is Mariota doesn't have the stones to throw the ball into coverage.  Pitts and London are guys who are never covered.  At some point, Mariota has to place the ball where they can go get it and let them make a play.  Even bad QBs look good when they rely on the guys around them.  Mariota seems to be looking for a perfect leverage and fit before he'll throw to them.  He's throwing to London a lot because they're rolling coverage to Pitts.  Sometimes, you just have to let Pitts beat the coverage.

If only we had a QB willing to attempt beat coverage with their arm while also being able to process proper decisions from the pocket.

Maybe we should have drafted a QB like that in the third round and let him learn on the field instead of behind a QB who clearly can not do that even with years of experience...

Just now, Komic said:

If only we had a QB willing to attempt beat coverage with their arm while also being able to process proper decisions from the pocket.

Maybe we should have drafted a QB like that in the third round and let him learn on the field instead of behind a QB who clearly can not do that even with years of experience...

I sort of made that point in the other thread too.  To recap what I said there, we don't really know if Ridder is better at this level than Mariota at going through those progressions, because in the preseason they weren't asking him to go much past the 2nd read.  What we do know is Ridder did a great job of seeing where the space on the field was and throwing to it, and we also know he did this consistently in college and he also went deep into his progressions in college.  So I think he can do it, but we just don't know until he gets in a game.

At this point, I don't mind the coaching staff protecting him.  But at some point you drafted the guy, and you have to see what he's made of.  If we're losing anyway, and the only reason you won't play Ridder is you're worried it's going to slow his development, then you probably drafted the wrong guy and he'll never be the guy.  And if that's the case, no worries -- we'll have a high draft pick to draft the guy and we have a super cheap backup, and that's not a bad place to be with a 3rd round pick.

Thing is, I think Ridder can be the guy.  So I hope we get to see him soon.

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I sort of made that point in the other thread too.  To recap what I said there, we don't really know if Ridder is better at this level than Mariota at going through those progressions, because in the preseason they weren't asking him to go much past the 2nd read.  What we do know is Ridder did a great job of seeing where the space on the field was and throwing to it, and we also know he did this consistently in college and he also went deep into his progressions in college.  So I think he can do it, but we just don't know until he gets in a game.

At this point, I don't mind the coaching staff protecting him.  But at some point you drafted the guy, and you have to see what he's made of.  If we're losing anyway, and the only reason you won't play Ridder is you're worried it's going to slow his development, then you probably drafted the wrong guy and he'll never be the guy.  And if that's the case, no worries -- we'll have a high draft pick to draft the guy and we have a super cheap backup, and that's not a bad place to be with a 3rd round pick.

Thing is, I think Ridder can be the guy.  So I hope we get to see him soon.

I loved a lot of what I saw from Ridder even though he definitely was not perfect in preseason. Several odd turnovers, and lack of organization sometimes pre snap were an issue.

Those things are very fixable. Even something as simple as letting him play with starters could slow down the random turnovers where there is a miscommunication between him and the 5th string WR.

Important thing is he is willing to sit in the pocket and make throws by reading defense to find open spaces as you said.

Some of his throws came out so fast that no one could get pressure even if they wanted to because he already found the spot he wanted to throw as soon as he snapped. Very excited to see more

Edited by Komic

6 minutes ago, MarkMc44 said:

If Mariota steps in to it and drills Edwards in the chest we're whistling a different tune. Unfortunately, our QB was hit as he released. Y'all did see that, right?

GO FALCONS!!!!

So if Mariota did his job, the one he gets paid millions to do, said fans wouldn't be mad? What a concept. 

27 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

So if Mariota did his job, the one he gets paid millions to do, said fans wouldn't be mad? What a concept. 

And the O line gets paid to keep him clean and on time. Fair statement?

GO FALCONS!!!!

GO FALCONS!!!!!

4 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

In 14 years I never saw Matt Ryan throw a perfect fade route, the way Stafford threw that one to Cupp yesterday. If you can find one, feel free to link it. That and screen passes were just NOT Matt's forte. I'm beginning to think it's not Mariotta's either.

4 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Idk. Seems like everyone else goes to their play makers when they need a.play. We used to target Roddy in the RZ and it worked pretty.well.

4 hours ago, Komic said:

I loved a lot of what I saw from Ridder even though he definitely was not perfect in preseason. Several odd turnovers, and lack of organization sometimes pre snap were an issue.

Those things are very fixable. Even something as simple as letting him play with starters could slow down the random turnovers where there is a miscommunication between him and the 5th string WR.

Important thing is he is willing to sit in the pocket and make throws by reading defense to find open spaces as you said.

Some of his throws came out so fast that no one could get pressure even if they wanted to because he already found the spot he wanted to throw as soon as he snapped. Very excited to see more

Never know how the adrenaline effects a player. In college it seemed to dial Ridder in. It seems to make MM a bonehead.

There's pros and.cons to.Ridder starting early

5 hours ago, JDaveG said:

If what you are saying is true, then this is totally on AS! If your QB can't get it to your weapons, then he shouldn't be your QB...

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Never know how the adrenaline effects a player. In college it seemed to dial Ridder in. It seems to make MM a bonehead.

There's pros and.cons to.Ridder starting early

I just don’t see what we have to lose, put Ridder in. If we “ruin” his confidence, than it just wasn’t meant to be anyway. Qb heavy draft coming up 

4 minutes ago, Diesel_Bird said:

I just don’t see what we have to lose, put Ridder in. If we “ruin” his confidence, than it just wasn’t meant to be anyway. Qb heavy draft coming up 

Ridder will be better in the game than he is at practice.

Really the.only way to see what you can get away with in the NFL, that.worked in college, is to throw picks and learn from each one. 

If hes as.mentally tough as he seems, let him throw the ball and see how short NFL windows are.

Id start him around week 6-10 depending on how MM is doing.