Jump to content

Encouraged!


Recommended Posts

You would think starting out 0-2 would make you feel doom for the season. What I saw from the team in the comeback was very encouraging. They could have called it in and went on to next week but they learned from their mistakes from week 1. You are starting to see the right players play on the field.  Of course, the last remaining change is Mariota for Ridder. Defense and special teams looked much improve.  You can see the talent and athleticism that is brewing.  The offense is explosive, just need Ridder.  I am excited for the next couple of weeks!  The fact we aren't asking Patterson to be the only source of offense is awesome to see.  If Ridder starts and wins, I am buying his jersey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People act like the Falcons D did something great this weekend.

They played like *** for the first 48 minutes of the game. Up until 12 minutes left, they couldn't do anything outside of pray that Stafford would throw a bad pass. That's it. It was either a scoring drive, or Stafford threw a pick until that point.

Yes, ST made a great play. Cool. Props to them. And yes, Kupp fumbled. Cool, good for them. But part of the reason we were even in that spot is because the D sucked for most of the game. The O sucked for the whole game.

 

There are no positives from this game. None. We turned the ball over too much, again. We couldn't stop the opposition until the last 8-12 minutes. Walker played like *** outside of the pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

Meh, I'm tired of the almost wins. I'm no longer impressed with these almost wins. Yeah yeah yeah we are in rebuild mode, but AS doesn't act like it. So I won't give him the benefit of the doubt, especially when both wins were possible. 

What actions or decision cause you to thingk he is not acting like it is rebuild mode? I understand your overall point, I just wasn't sure how the rebuild comment fits in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

People act like the Falcons D did something great this weekend.

They played like *** for the first 48 minutes of the game. Up until 12 minutes left, they couldn't do anything outside of pray that Stafford would throw a bad pass. That's it. It was either a scoring drive, or Stafford threw a pick until that point.

Yes, ST made a great play. Cool. Props to them. And yes, Kupp fumbled. Cool, good for them. But part of the reason we were even in that spot is because the D sucked for most of the game. The O sucked for the whole game.

 

There are no positives from this game. None. We turned the ball over too much, again. We couldn't stop the opposition until the last 8-12 minutes. Walker played like *** outside of the pick.

Imagine mashing the first three quarters of game one with the last quarter of game two....

 

Championship!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

What actions or decision cause you to thingk he is not acting like it is rebuild mode? I understand your overall point, I just wasn't sure how the rebuild comment fits in. 

“They hired the wrong guys if they thought we were going to lower expectations, take our time, and rebuild,” Arthur Smith said, via Football Morning in America. “That’s just not who we are. The expectation is to win now, build for the future, have plans.”

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

“They hired the wrong guys if they thought we were going to lower expectations, take our time, and rebuild,” Arthur Smith said, via Football Morning in America. “That’s just not who we are. The expectation is to win now, build for the future, have plans.”

 

 

AB made similar comments. That is the canned corporate line. The way the staff handled competioin in camp, the roster decisions they made, and the way they are handling the cap all show me that they understand the current reality. The only game day decion I've seen so far that made me raise and eyebrow was not having the rookie RB active for week 1. I happen to believe that trying to win every game while rebuilding is the correct apporach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

People act like the Falcons D did something great this weekend.

They played like *** for the first 48 minutes of the game. Up until 12 minutes left, they couldn't do anything outside of pray that Stafford would throw a bad pass. That's it. It was either a scoring drive, or Stafford threw a pick until that point.

Yes, ST made a great play. Cool. Props to them. And yes, Kupp fumbled. Cool, good for them. But part of the reason we were even in that spot is because the D sucked for most of the game. The O sucked for the whole game.

 

There are no positives from this game. None. We turned the ball over too much, again. We couldn't stop the opposition until the last 8-12 minutes. Walker played like *** outside of the pick.

I liked that they ended up making it respectable after getting their doors blown off.

So far it looks like a better team from last year. Granted, that's not saying much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

“They hired the wrong guys if they thought we were going to lower expectations, take our time, and rebuild,” Arthur Smith said, via Football Morning in America. “That’s just not who we are. The expectation is to win now, build for the future, have plans.”

 

 

Thank you, if we were in rebuild mode Ridder would be in already. The fact is Arthur Smith thinks he can win now with MM. When he cannot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ryanadonis said:

But I think we are being hard on a team that has 60 million in dead cap space, a whole new roster and new qbs.  They are very close to a winning formula, they just need to make the switch on QB. 

If the team came out and laid an egg to the Saints I wouldn't be as irritated, but the fact is the Falcons should be 1-1 at worst and maybe 2-0. 0-2 is unacceptable when they should have at least 1 win.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ryanadonis said:

But I think we are being hard on a team that has 60 million in dead cap space, a whole new roster and new qbs.  They are very close to a winning formula, they just need to make the switch on QB. 

The coach and GM contributed to the dead cap and built the roster...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, falcndave said:

AB made similar comments. That is the canned corporate line. The way the staff handled competioin in camp, the roster decisions they made, and the way they are handling the cap all show me that they understand the current reality. The only game day decion I've seen so far that made me raise and eyebrow was not having the rookie RB active for week 1. I happen to believe that trying to win every game while rebuilding is the correct apporach. 

He said we weren't in "rebuild" man...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I liked that they ended up making it respectable after getting their doors blown off.

So far it looks like a better team from last year. Granted, that's not saying much.

See, I actually HATE this. Hate it. I see it at work all the time, and I absolutely hate it.

It's false hope. It conceals the issues. It makes us look better than we were. If you look at the score from this game in 10 weeks, people will think the game was close. It wasn't. It wasn't a close game. Outside of Stafford doing the normal Stafford things, and a good play by STs, we were horrible. So much so that I was laughing at our ineptitude. It was a horrible game, but because we tried to comeback, people are looking at it as a positive.

 

If you go through the gameday thread, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Prior to the blocked punt, everyone was speaking on how horrible the team was. Everyone. Because they were horrible. After the blocked punt, it's all hope and optimism. It's moral victories and "progress". For 48 minutes, we got decimated. For 12, we did below average to Ok.

 

For example, Walker. Prior to the INT, he was lost. Missing tackles, out of position. Had a few plays, but mostly garbage. After the INT, people assume he had a decent game. He did not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ryanadonis said:

But I think we are being hard on a team that has 60 million in dead cap space, a whole new roster and new qbs.  They are very close to a winning formula, they just need to make the switch on QB. 

THIS. Right here. ALL of us knew going into this season what the deal was. All the dead cap. All the youth. The talent level on the team, no matter how optimistic one can get about the young players, is significantly lower than the teams we have played so far. And yet, these Falcons have played with heart, and tenacity, and yeah some flashes of some real ability. Yet still... no matter what Arthur Smith said about playing to win, regardless of circumstances, and that's his job by the way... we all knew that this team is rebuilding. We just did. So, for all these fans in here who are crying about being tired of losing, and that this team sucks and that AS sucks and that MM sucks, blah blah blah... change your perspective. If you love this team, and you know you do because you wouldn't be this emotional about them if you didn't... chill out and remember this is a team slap in the middle of rebuilding. And look for the silver lining in each play, rather than the doom and gloom in every loss. Because, folks, there's gonna be some losses this year. News flash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

THIS. Right here. ALL of us knew going into this season what the deal was. All the dead cap. All the youth. The talent level on the team, no matter how optimistic one can get about the young players, is significantly lower than the teams we have played so far. And yet, these Falcons have played with heart, and tenacity, and yeah some flashes of some real ability. Yet still... no matter what Arthur Smith said about playing to win, regardless of circumstances, and that's his job by the way... we all knew that this team is rebuilding. We just did. So, for all these fans in here who are crying about being tired of losing, and that this team sucks and that AS sucks and that MM sucks, blah blah blah... change your perspective. If you love this team, and you know you do because you wouldn't be this emotional about them if you didn't... chill out and remember this is a team slap in the middle of rebuilding. And look for the silver lining in each play, rather than the doom and gloom in every loss. Because, folks, there's gonna be some losses this year. News flash. 

People who are fed up with losing when the game is in reach are not the ones that need to change perspective. Everyone in the NFL is capable of playing at a high level. Losing to the Rams, okay we were never in it so whatever, losing to the Saints is trash and should have been a game the Falcons won. I would like to look at the silver lining after a win not a lose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

People who are fed up with losing when the game is in reach are not the ones that need to change perspective. Everyone in the NFL is capable of playing at a high level. Losing to the Rams, okay we were never in it so whatever, losing to the Saints is trash and should have been a game the Falcons won. I would like to look at the silver lining after a win not a lose. 

Brother, I've been a Falcons fan for 49 years. I'm fed up with losing, as well. That many years of being heart strung with this team is hard on any fan. It's not lost on me. It's the expectations of the whiners in here that blow me away. I have no idea how any of you, coming into this season, has any sort of expectations that were at a level which would cause disappointment in a Falcons loss. It baffles me, knowing that this team is in a full rebuild. I've been on this message board for over 23 years. I've seen a lot of freakin' gloom and doom and idiocy in here. It just surprises me even still that it never changes. 

To your point, everyone would rather observe silver linings after wins. But as fans, THIS SEASON??? We won't have that opportunity very often. 

Just my two cents' worth of nothing, here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ryanadonis said:

But I think we are being hard on a team that has 60 million in dead cap space, a whole new roster and new qbs.  They are very close to a winning formula, they just need to make the switch on QB. 

And retool the entire defense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ryanadonis said:

But I think we are being hard on a team that has 60 million in dead cap space, a whole new roster and new qbs.  They are very close to a winning formula, they just need to make the switch on QB. 

I think you are right.  There will indeed be some massive evaluations on that slot over the next 8 months.  Once we clear cap ****, I think we will start the search in earnest.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...