Week 2 -- Logic, Not Emotion

Guess what, we are still not a Super Bowl team.  However, that was the defending champs.  Top 5 things:

1. Rush defense played well.

2. Heart, team never gave up, they took several shots to the chin, some self inflicted, and still stood tall.  

3. Our red zone offense sucks.  If we score TD's, in NO and LA, we are 2-0.  This is player execution.

4. First half, I was thinking we might see Ridder in the 2nd half. MM came back and through the ball better.

5. Drake London is getting a lot of looks because the attention is on Pitts.  He is delivering.  

2 minutes ago, WhiteKB0111 said:

5. Drake London is getting a lot of looks because the attention is on Pitts.  He is delivering.  

A lot of people are complaining Potts isn’t involved. They seemed to have forgotten what it was like when Julio was the only legitimate option. London is looking like he can be the one to free up Pitts, just need the running game to to keep the defense honest. And from what I’ve seen, it has the potential to do that.

8 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

A lot of people are complaining Potts isn’t involved. They seemed to have forgotten what it was like when Julio was the only legitimate option. London is looking like he can be the one to free up Pitts, just need the running game to to keep the defense honest. And from what I’ve seen, it has the potential to do that.

Striking the balance is the key.  Feels like we are dialling it in.

All good points. 

I’m tired of the excuses as to why our studs don’t get featured. The problem is in the play design and play calling. Julio was our only threat in 2015. He had almost 2k yards. He was seeing the same double teams that he saw in 2017 when Sark could barely get him the ball in red zone. Shanahan got him off. D Adams gets off. AB used to get off. D Hopkins with him QBs and no help gets off. 

Why Pitts can’t get the bal more than a couple times a game is embarrassing. He needs 8-10 targets a game and he need calls designed to get him involved. Idc if he’s doubled or not. 

Drake London is proving why he was the top receiver taken in the draft. He would have had an even more impressive day with better throws.

I admired the fight in this team. It was a scrappy performance that unfortunately didn't end in a W, but it was still exciting to watch.

This defense I believe is showing signs of growth. Atlanta has yet to allow a RB to go over 50 yards rushing. They generated 4 turnovers, one going for a TD. They will get better as the season progresses.

The Falcon's won the turnover battle. Normally that results in a win. I guarantee you the Rams were sweating bullets when the score was 25-31, because again, the plays were there to be made.

This team (namely the offense) just has to finish better. Do that and the losses start turning into wins.

Everytime they get a 3rd and 1 or 3rd and short I hold my breath. The execution is sloppy. Hopefully it's just early and they can clear it up. I'm impressed with what I've seen so far tho. They don't look like the worst team in the league for sure

5 minutes ago, Stryka said:

All good points. 

I’m tired of the excuses as to why our studs don’t get featured. The problem is in the play design and play calling. Julio was our only threat in 2015. He had almost 2k yards. He was seeing the same double teams that he saw in 2017 when Sark could barely get him the ball in red zone. Shanahan got him off. D Adams gets off. AB used to get off. D Hopkins with him QBs and no help gets off. 

Why Pitts can’t get the bal more than a couple times a game is embarrassing. He needs 8-10 targets a game and he need calls designed to get him involved. Idc if he’s doubled or not. 

The QB still has to throw the ball to him. All the complaints you made aren't as much on the play caller as you think it is. 

If MM is only willing to throw to Pitts on what's essentially a dump off or a go route when he's single covered, then you get the problem you're seeing.

1 minute ago, Mr.11 said:

The QB still has to throw the ball to him. All the complaints you made aren't as much on the play caller as you think it is. 

If MM is only willing to throw to Pitts on what's essentially a dump off or a go route when he's single covered, then you get the problem you're seeing.

It’s on MM to the extent that he has to look for Pitts but the play call is designed with top options. If Pitts isn’t 1 or 2 on every play there is a problem for me. I’m gonna watch the All22 later but often he didn’t get the targets based on design. He was double covered some. 

Pitts isn’t the reason Pitts isn’t gettin the ball in red zone. Others are gettin targets. He needs to be schemed in and if they double him we need to anticipate that and move him around so he doesn’t get to just be bracketed. MM needs to look his way more but we need better plays to get him involved. 

24 minutes ago, Stryka said:

It’s on MM to the extent that he has to look for Pitts but the play call is designed with top options. If Pitts isn’t 1 or 2 on every play there is a problem for me. I’m gonna watch the All22 later but often he didn’t get the targets based on design. He was double covered some. 

Pitts isn’t the reason Pitts isn’t gettin the ball in red zone. Others are gettin targets. He needs to be schemed in and if they double him we need to anticipate that and move him around so he doesn’t get to just be bracketed. MM needs to look his way more but we need better plays to get him involved. 

they were scheming it multiple times i saw pitts and london in a bunch both times the ball went to london. 

37 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Ultimately we his team hasn’t learned how to finish yet once we do we are gonna be a consistently great team because of how we play. 

It's MM that doesn't have the finisher gene in him, and I don't think it's something he can learn. He doesn't have it, and our best chance of winning games is to not have them depending on him to deliver the dagger at the end. 

If you have been paying attention, so far, this has to be a step in the right direction for the Falcons.  Team just played the world champs and could have won that game.  Should have won last week as well.

Drake is a pleasant surprise.  Didn't really know what to expect from him being drafted.  He seems to be a big guys that can get into the intermediate area and make catches to keep the chains moving.  Exactly what we need.

I'm disappointed with Pitts for now.  He has to be in the game.  I don't care what the coverage looks like, 34 to 40 catches this year isn't going to cut it.

Mariota hasn't played in 2 years.  He looks like a frantic squirrel out there at times.  Love the athleticism, but I need more calm and precision from him.  That play where he fell down, got up and completed the pass, that was a pleasant thing to see from our QB.  You don't want that situation to happen, but glad he has the ability to overcome.

Defense has to be better.  They did get some turnovers.  They need to be "stiffer" at times.

Can't argue with any of that. We continue to see some very good things, and our losing hasn't come down to lack of talent, or bad coaching. It has come down to guys in pads not consistently executing at critical moments. 

That's what you get with young guys, rookies, and guys who haven't played together a ton. I fully expect them to look  better each week on average. Playing a young roster is challenging. There is no point in fans losing their minds each week, as if this team was a few plays from the SB last year. 

Lose your minds if we suddenly look like the 20-21 squads. So far, I'm enjoying these cats.

I can't lie, after rewatching the highlights, this defense is different. It may have been a bit sloppy compared to last week but what we lacked in sacks, we made up in turnovers. It took until the 4th Qtr to show some signs of life, but they did. We get too many turnovers to not be scoring on offense. 

Rationally we have better receivers than Bryan Edwards when you have 1 shot and 1 job. 
Rationally I stand by what I said all off-season, if Pitts isn’t part of our offense week 1 there is no place for Art Smith. 
Rationally I love the fight from defense and special teams and I love London!

1 hour ago, WhiteKB0111 said:

Guess what, we are still not a Super Bowl team.  However, that was the defending champs.  Top 5 things:

1. Rush defense played well.

2. Heart, team never gave up, they took several shots to the chin, some self inflicted, and still stood tall.  

3. Our red zone offense sucks.  If we score TD's, in NO and LA, we are 2-0.  This is player execution.

4. First half, I was thinking we might see Ridder in the 2nd half. MM came back and through the ball better.

6. Mariotta is a turn over machine. 2 games. 2 picks and 2 fumbles.